DeeCee

***SPOILERS***Captain Marvel Spoiler Thread | ***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***

34 minutes ago, baumer said:

That's why I said IN MY OPINION several times.  

Hulk is not great.  Ant Man is terrific.  

Captain Marvel was uneven, poorly directed, abysmally written in some spots, poorly acted in areas and it wastes a terrific deaged Jackson.

Sorry, just not my tempo.  Thought it was a really poor effort.

Poorly acted by who?

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

"Humans always get up and try again" bit was a bit clichéd. I

interesting, I thought that was 100% about:

Carol always gets up, like no one else gts included, She finds her center, her inner power, frees herself from them

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

41 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

interesting, I thought that was 100% about:

Carol always gets up, like no one else gts included, She finds her center, her inner power, frees herself from them

The sequence was SO INTENSE AND EMOTIONAL.  I just had chills when they broke the fourth wall, and had Young Carol (McKenna Grace) glare at the audience like I dare you to push me again.  I LOVE that Carol's origin story isn't gaining her superpowers, but freeing herself as you so perfectly said.  Once Carol freed herself of Yon-Rogg's cage, she was literally the most powerful Avenger in the universe.

Edited by captainwondyful
gaining superpowers not gaining superheroes
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anyway, as far as 'she's too powerful, its boring' goes, I disagree.  Or rather, I agree the tension is gone once she goes super saiyan, but I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing.  The tension was gone in the Avengers after the circle shot.  I still enjoyed the last section of both movies because we got to see our hero(es) kick serious butt.

Anyway, all you need to do next time is put her up against someone of equal power.  I mean, its not like they had any trouble doing that with Thor in Ragnarok.  The MCU's already pulled out trans dimension elder gods and living planets- it can handle having one of their franchises go crazy with the power scaling as long as its not every franchise being pulled up like that.

Edited by IceFire9yt
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Fury in Avengers 1: “you have made me VERY desperate”

yet doent call Captain Marvel. A retcon. Plain and simple 

Who said he didn't? Maybe he did and she couldn't come. Regardless the Avengers Initiative was Fury's baby inspired by Captain Marvel so he needed it to work and the only way to have it work was well see if it could stand up to Loki. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

The sequence was SO INTENSE AND EMOTIONAL.  I just had chills when they broke the fourth wall, and had Young Carol (McKenna Grace) glare at the audience like I dare you to push me again.  I LOVE that Carol's origin story isn't gaining her superpowers, but freeing herself as you so perfectly said.  Once Carol freed herself of Yon-Rogg's cage, she was literally the most powerful Avenger in the universe.

I thought I was watching a Nike commercial during that sequence.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 2

11 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Who said he didn't? Maybe he did and she couldn't come. Regardless the Avengers Initiative was Fury's baby inspired by Captain Marvel so he needed it to work and the only way to have it work was well see if it could stand up to Loki. 

When you know the world is in mortal danger you don’t play around. You will call someone that can take care of the situation. 

The reason the pager thing was never mentioned before is because Captain Marvel didn’t exist in this universe when the first Avengers was made and they had to find a way to shoehorn her into the universe before Endgame. And imO  it was awkwardly done 

Edited by John Marston

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

When you know the world is in mortal danger you don’t play around. You will call someone that can take care of the situation. 

The reason the pager thing was never mentioned before is because Captain Marvel didn’t exist in this universe when the first Avengers was made and they had to find a way to shoehorn her into the universe before Endgame. And imO  it was awkwardly done 

Are you saying Captain Marvel was invented after 2012?

Just now, baumer said:

Are you saying Captain Marvel was invented after 2012?

He's saying that they didn't plan from the start for Captain Marvel to be set in the 90s so before The Avengers. Which is true but nothing in the movie breaks the continuity of the MCU imo. In fact I honestly got goosebumps when it was revealed how much Captain Marvel inspired Nick Fury to start The Avengers in the first place.

• Like 5

Agree with Baumer - it’s close to the bottom of the MCU list. 

Perfectly fine and gets the job done to some degree. Entertaining. 

I just found it was spinning too many plates, with the character kind of getting lost in the mix. Bottom line, I felt nothing for her - primarily due to the way the movie was structured I think.  There isn’t all that much of an arc she has.  I just didn’t connect much with her at all.  Didn’t feel invested. The whole film just sort of happened and it’s all of a jumble.  You can feel the clockwork of it really struggling. 

Lots to like for sure, but things like Star Force, Maria, the kid - stuff they should have spent longer on to give the film some heart - wasn’t feeling it. 

Cinematography - bland as anything. It’s not a good looking picture at all. 

It’s fine.  Wish I’d liked it more than I did and think the character deserved a stronger debut than this. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Pure Spirit said:

Oh man... the movie was cringe. 

“I can do that!”

”no you can’t youre just a girl!”

*does it anyway*

Wow Marvel really shattering the glass ceiling with those interactions. 🤢

Endgame has an extra burden now. I’m sure the Russo brothers will manage because they actually have skill, but without Endgame this definitely was (or still is) going to hurt the BO of other Marvel films.

Truth of the matter, even if Captain Marvel didn't exist, I have a feeling without Steve and Tony to look forward to, my interest in the franchise will probably start to die down. And it's OK, I got to see what I want, and now it's time for Marvel to pass the torch to the next generation.

17 minutes ago, John Marston said:

No. I’m just saying Captain Marvel was obviously not part of the original plan. Which is fine but I was expecting a better explanation for her to be existing all this time 

Whedon, wo is known for some longer arc ideas, even if not all like him,.... who did actually Avengers 1+2 planed to include CM into Avengers 2.

For some scenes the prep work already was done, those shots were then done/given to Scarlet Witch

The answer to this is pretty simple, guys. Clearly, when Tony went into the portal, the nuke he brought with him did nothing.  That fleet getting WRECKED?  AAAALL Carol.  

• Haha 3
  • Astonished 2
  • Knock It Off 1

9 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

DS went from a nobody to a well liked character due to IW.

The fuck?? Doctor Strange is Top 3 material - and surely the most original movie in the whole cookie cutter MCU.

AND he was more fun in his own movie than in the Avengers hodge-podge, but the latter is no ones fault.

Very glad they are keeping him alive though. With all the old heroes dying, and most of the new recruits sucking, Strange seems to be the only MCU name left that can excite me.

Edited by shayhiri

44 minutes ago, John Marston said:

No. I’m just saying Captain Marvel was obviously not part of the original plan. Which is fine but I was expecting a better explanation for her to be existing all this time 

Same here. But, I am also wondering if there is going to be time travel, maybe things will make more sense by End Game. But truth is, they should have never bothered with the past. It does mess up stuff from earlier movies, and it is definitely done to shoehorn her in so she is now the center of the Avenger's universe and no longer the Starks.

• Like 1