Eric Prime

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I don't see 65% drop wtf? it isn't a stinker. also, forget not passing 400M. if necessary, Disney will AWIT it to over the mark but I don't it'll be necessary. lets see how it does today and tomorrow. today should be good cause families can take kids. yesterday was a date day.

Opening can still be in GOTG2 territory if it plummets and GOTG2 failed to reach 400M

So not reaching 400M for CM is possible, although improbable.

7 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

Hey now, Wonder Park is gonna make a huuuuuuuuuge splash at the box office! Just you wait and see! 

That thing's been stalking me to every movie I've been to for like half a year now. I still remember the guy next to me (I think it was before Aquaman) going "I don't get it" after it aired.

Edited by cookie
  • Haha 1

Hey, Wonder Park is coming for $10M+...it's gonna be the power of the Atom tickets deals:)...all that money is gonna be from cheap ticket promotion!

I mean, my Atom theater local has 1/2 sold its 1st 2 Saturday showings already in a big theater (not a tiny set)...and that's before the next deal coming Monday:)...

2 minutes ago, cookie said:

That thing's been stalking me to every movie I've been to for like half a year now. I still remember the guy next to me (I think it was before Aquaman) going "I don't get it" after it aired.

Drove on the highway today and saw not one, not two, but three damn billboards for it. Sad thing is, I didn’t know it was a movie until you guys mentioned it in this thread and I thought it was a new amusement park opening up in our area :ph34r:

• Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Opening can still be in GOTG2 territory if it plummets and GOTG2 failed to reach 400M

So not reaching 400M for CM is possible, although improbable.

GOTG2 opened under 150M, how's CM going to plummet that much off 61.4M OD? Like, what shit multi is expected? I'm confused. what changed? 

3 minutes ago, cookie said:

The funniest experience with the Wonder Park trailer was when I saw Mary Poppins. It directly followed up Lego Movie 2, with the audience laughing, then SLOP 2, with the audience laughing, then this comes, and it was so dead silent you could hear a pin drop. Even the little little kids seemed unamused by it.

Guess some people are just allergic to volunteering.

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

GOTG2 opened under 150M, how's CM going to plummet that much off 61.4M OD? Like, what shit multi is expected? I'm confused. what changed? 

CM doesn’t have to open under $150M in order for it to miss $400M. It’s opening within a range of GOTG2 and that missed $400M. If it opens around $153M, it could miss $400M. Its a small chance that it could miss but it’s still there. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Could happen with a 25% true Friday to Saturday jump and a 30% Sunday drop.

Previews: $20.7M

Friday: $40.7M

Saturday: $50.9M (+25%)

Sunday: $35.6M (-30%)

TOTAL: $146.9M

It could easily happen, though I don't think it will.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 2

Why I think a higher than usual drop is possible without believing it to happen - or to (I believe in finals)

It was a very long time of empty cinemas, ppl were hungry. Hungry ppl tend to rush to the meals

It was also quite some time since the last MCU, hungry....

It's connected to Endgame, hungry for a new titbit / impression...

Social Media,... makes it more and more difficult to avoid spoilers, my own example: son and me sat in the midnights because of that. Might be the reason preview % are growing steadily

Based on the hunger of the cinema-owners to earn money and obviously Disney too = rather high theatre count

Cinema owner II: tons of screening times per theatre, no / nearly no backlog

a week of school holiday

fill in what I did forget

Each of those points can have an influence on the 2nd weekend drop. Some of those points are still growing, general tendency ) in the sum I am prepared to not be surprised about anything = without jumping to conclusion

I'd like to see audience splits over the weekend, hope for some split details during the week, like early times of days more / less filled..., age groups... I know we probably wont get those for under the week, but I'd like them to get to see.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

GOTG2 also had bumps from Memorial Day and Fathers day that this one won't get.  So $400m is far from guaranteed.

When box office numbers start getting this high, nothing is guaranteed. Except for the numbers that Detective Pikachu is gonna do :ph34r:

3 hours ago, justvision said:

1) A villain that is so bad or evil that you hate him is a good villain.

2) A complicated complex mind-twisted villain is a good villain

3) A villain that is superpowerful and badass is a good villain

Ego is a megaloblastic celestial body (Planet) that morphed to a android body and went across galaxies to cross-breed with many species, then killed the only one he loved, then had sleep problem that needed a mantis to put him to sleep, was all three above.

Therefore Ego is a good villain.

No what you have here is a recipe or a formula whatever you want to call it in order to have a good villain. The execution in the film was terrible.

Nothing is guaranteed but the pessimistic turns in this thread regarding CM are...a bit much. I don't see this movie dropping more than 60%, if that. And having watched it, I'd be surprised if it can't managed a 2.7 multiplier. Even with "just" a 150M opening, that's gets it over 400M.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

Thanks guys. wow, what turn of events. :sadno:

Why the sad face? The movie is gonna open up over $150M+ and has a great shot at making $400M+ lol We were just commenting on the fact that when it comes to box office there are no guarantees. Nothing to be upset about it and there isn’t really a turn of events. It’s opening right around where it’s been expected to open lol 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Thanks guys. wow, what turn of events. :sadno:

You can find solace in the absolutely massive worldwide debut this is having. I'm flabergasted by the OS numbers.

• Thanks 1