Eric Duncan

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Had a dream last night that upon the Fox acquisition, Feige put into motion a Fantastic 4 reboot... directed by Tim Story. 

Oh pls yes. His first two Fanta 4 films were incredible masterpieces that are still taught in film schools after all. I hope Jessica Alba is back because of the plot.

1 hour ago, REC said:

Yeah I wouldn't expect any female lead superhero movie to hit Wonder Woman female audience ratios.  CM is a relative unknown character, yet there's a whole generation of young girls who grew up with Wonder Woman Underoos, lunch boxes and the old Linda Carter TV show.  Any Wonder Woman movie was going to be primed to have a big female turnout as long as they made sure it wasn't absolute garbage.

WW84 and Birds of Prey will both be over 50% female. Women love Harley

I have a question about trailers. Do they have to be attached? Cause it was reported the attachments were Frozen and Dumbo, which I did not get any time this weekend. (I was so sad about no Elsa. Maybe her and Carol together would’ve been TOO much lesbian power?)

And one theater didn’t even SHOW previews. They just started the movie.  And I thought that was actually really smart. And I wonder if some theaters are going to do that for Endgame.   You can make up a lot of time if you don’t show 30 minutes of trailers before a three hour movie     

🧐

25 minutes ago, mulderfox said:

Why do you not like 3D. Is it because you wear glasses or other stuff. Because i do not get how you can hate something that makes the movie come more alive. I love 3D its movie watching on a completely different level. Its pulls you in like a roller coaster ride. CM 3D was very good and people that did not see it in 3D missed out big time. The Space Battle scenes was so much fun in 3D.

Well it's all an opinion.

For me I would say 3D does the opposite, it makes the film look more fake. CGI is much more noticeable in 3D, things look more fake. and because the effect itself is not a natural effect it makes the experience feel less real.

not to mention it also makes the film darker.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, captainwondyful said:

I have a question about trailers. Do they have to be attached? Cause it was reported the attachments were Frozen and Dumbo, which I did not get any time this weekend. (I was so sad about no Elsa. Maybe her and Carol together would’ve been TOO much lesbian power?)

And one theater didn’t even SHOW previews. They just started the movie.  And I thought that was actually really smart. And I wonder if some theaters are going to do that for Endgame.   You can make up a lot of time if you don’t show 30 minutes of trailers before a three hour movie     

🧐

Saw it twice, 0 Elsa :( 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

For me I would say 3D does the opposite, it makes the film look more fake. CGI is much more noticeable in 3D, things look more fake. and because the effect itself is not a natural effect it makes the experience feel less real.

Did you see Jim sent out banned a bunch of cinemas in the UK and USA from showing Alita because their projectors weren't bright enough. My friend from North Yorkshire said there wasn't a single cinema in the whole county where he could watch it in 3D.

He's doing gods work he truly is.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, captainwondyful said:

🧐

It's not smart to suddenly out of nowhere not have adverts. Because audiences are used to a film starting say 30 mins after the advertised time, people will show up after the advertised time, and if no adverts then those people miss out on part of the film. not really fair on those people.

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

Did you see Jim sent out banned a bunch of cinemas in the UK and USA from showing Alita because their projectors weren't bright enough.

He's doing gods work he truly is.

banned cinemas from showing Alita? No he didn't.

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

In the cinema i go to you are basically forced to watch 3D, atleast all the big Hollywood movies. For me it makes them worse nearly every time. Like you said, it makes the films darker and fast action scenes in particular are suffering from 3D. Mission: Impossible Fallout was better for me at home, because in 3D even with Dolby Atmos, i coundt really enjoy it as much as i want.

2D all the way. 3D must die.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I have a question about trailers. Do they have to be attached?

One time I was in a theater that didn't start the good movie after the staff being told they stopped and launched the good movie, they skipped on fast forward that you could see on screen every ads/trailers except 1 or 2, 2 that were from the same distributor of the movie that was playing, they really felt not only attached but "non-fast forwardable" by the system.

So I imagine that most are not but 1-2 are.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

🧐

I don't know what your theaters are like, but I believe those attachments are intended for those with digital projections, or using digital files to broadcast the movie. Could be wrong though.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

🧐

I will never ever forget the 45 minutes of previews I had to sit through before Deadpool at my local AMC. That same theater gave me 40 minutes of previews before Suicide Squad but with that movie, I would have rather watched another 2 hours worth of previews versus watching the actual movie :ph34r:

But I actually think it depends on the theater and the chain itself. I know the previews before movies at my United Artist and AMC are different. The United Artist by me tends to have shorter previews than the AMC so some trailers won't show in front of the same movie depending on the theater I visit. There might be other factors but my point is that I have watched the same movie at two different theater chains and gotten different trailers before said movie but I don't know if it's a technical thing, that specific theater or a theater chain thing :P

Edited by Nova
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Avatree said:

It's not smart to suddenly out of nowhere not have adverts. Because audiences are used to a film starting say 30 mins after the advertised time, people will show up after the advertised time, and if no adverts then those people miss out on part of the film. not really fair on those people.

Show starts on time! It’s called being prompt! And we gotta make it to 300M somehow 😂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

In the cinema i go to you are basically forced to watch 3D, atleast all the big Hollywood movies. For me it makes them worse nearly every time. Like you said, it makes the films darker and fast action scenes in particular are suffering from 3D. Mission: Impossible Fallout was better for me at home, because in 3D even with Dolby Atmos, i coundt really enjoy it as much as i want.

2D all the way. 3D must die.

Didn't even know Mission Impossible had a 3D version. I didnt think any M:I were 3D.

Sorry to hear that you get limited 2D showtimes. Here is the opposite, lots of films that have 3D versions, don't get given any 3D showtimes. Such as Fallout like you mentioned.

Other big films from last year that got no 3D showtimes near me - Venom, Aquaman, Ant-Man, Spiderverse, Bumblebee, many others I can't think of. I don't even recall Black Panther getting 3D showings though I can't remember for certain.

I'm not gonna predict the likelihood of an Alita sequel, but I will say...

1. It's done better than I expected...which I'm happy about, b/c premier concept blockbusters should be praised, since they are fewer and farther between...I mean, yes, the fans got a little frustrating and irritating at times, even to me...but I'd rather they be fans, than be folks actively cheering for another premier concept bomb...

2. Its source material, and others like it, could be the source material for future blockbusters in 15-20 years - Why?  One - we'll be able to handle creating them realistically and much more cheaply onscreen, so Hollywood may make the move there.  Two - what are kids reading?  Are they picking up comic books or manga?  I know most of mine skew to the latter...and my kids will be influencing their kids and be in the "sweet spot" for huge 4 quad action in 15-20 years (with their own kids:)...and don't forget, kids of my generation lived on superhero animated tv shows, played with tons of supers action figures, and picked up the spare comic or two, but got few great movie supers (and the ones we did, wow, did we just idolize them)...kids of this one have moved away from the toy concept and have gotten every super they could ever want on screen, almost, in about the best version possible:)...which leads to...

3. You want to see what you haven't seen before.  We joke that Robin Hood and King Arthur just can't be made for any money anymore, b/c we've already seen them 100 times...in 20 years, we could say the same for a supers movie...at some point, the audience will need a break, and something will fill the void.  It could be video games (I know all 4 of mine are in for Detective Pikachu, and again, I'm gonna enjoy the premier concept) or it could be manga or it could be something else (anyone want a rom com resurgence?:)

So, maybe not today, and maybe not tomorrow...and maybe we'll see a remake/reboot try for Alita instead of a sequel...but I doubt the character is tossed in the bin for good, b/c I think there's too much potential in it for when the movie going audience starts to want a change...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Just thread-ban anyone doing this franchise stuff. 🧐😡

So how about you get back in the mod ring for the weekend and do just that. For old times sake. I mean don't you miss bringing down the hammer on these guys :ph34r:

• Haha 1