Eric Loves Rey

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

tenor.gif

Secretariat is a famous race horse from many years ago; I think that's the horse that won the Kentucky Derby. The made a movie about it in 2011.

Edited by Slambros

11 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Secretariat is a famous race horse from many years ago; I think that's the horse that won the Kentucky Derby. The made a movie about it in 2011.

Yes Secretariat won the Kentucky Derby, on his way to winning the Triple Crown.  It was the manner in which he won the Belmont Stakes that ended up making him a legend.  Ron Turcotte was his jockey.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

In other box office news, Apollo 11 made it to the top ten, which is great to see; hopefully it can continue to do well in a dry March slate. And Gloria Bell had a good debut, all things considered, so the A24 film should also benefit from the dry March slate as well.  It's a good thing that Lego 2 will almost certainly make $100M domestically at this point; the more the merrier when it comes to $100M.

56 minutes ago, john2000 said:

endgame will crush this forum especially if its bigger than iw

If you mean that in a bad way, I think even most of general Marvel detractors liked Infinity War. I loved it, I thought it was fantastic, and I have at least solid hopes for Endgame. Between IW, The Winter Soldier and Civil War - yes, I know that is an unpopular film around here, and it is much inferior to both IW and TWS which are top 3 MCU for me, but I still think it's good, despite the brutally safe choices it takes when it could've been an all-timer.... the story is solid, the characters all have great motivations worked out (NO, Tony Stark wasn't out of character when he tried to kill Bucky, just like Quill wasn't out of character when he attacked Thanos) and the action is incredible - Russos have been the most consistent Marvel directors. Well, besides James Gunn. To me, Endgame can turn out disappointing fairly easily, but I sincerely hope that they know what they're doing.

If you're talking box office-wise..... I mean, it will crush the forum, alright, cause I think the forum will avoid not crashing at least once on Endgame's opening weekend.

6 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

If you mean that in a bad way, I think even most of general Marvel detractors liked Infinity War. I loved it, I thought it was fantastic, and I have at least solid hopes for Endgame. Between IW, The Winter Soldier and Civil War - yes, I know that is an unpopular film around here, and it is much inferior to both IW and TWS which are top 3 MCU for me, but I still think it's good, despite the brutally safe choices it takes when it could've been an all-timer.... the story is solid, the characters all have great motivations worked out (NO, Tony Stark wasn't out of character when he tried to kill Bucky, just like Quill wasn't out of character when he attacked Thanos) and the action is incredible - Russos have been the most consistent Marvel directors. Well, besides James Gunn. To me, Endgame can turn out disappointing fairly easily, but I sincerely hope that they know what they're doing.

If you're talking box office-wise..... I mean, it will crush the forum, alright, cause I think the forum will avoid not crashing at least once on Endgame's opening weekend.

was talking about the box office ;)

6 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

If you mean that in a bad way, I think even most of general Marvel detractors liked Infinity War.

the exact opposite... Infinity War was the most fan-centric MCU film yet. If you're not a fan of the Marvel films it's extreeeeeeeeemely unlikely you'll like IW. It is made for the fans and for no one else.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

the exact opposite... Infinity War was the most fan-centric MCU film yet. If you're not a fan of the Marvel films it's extreeeeeeeeemely unlikely you'll like IW. It is made for the fans and for no one else.

Too earn as much as it did DOM and WW and have a decent multi after such an enormous OW, they either have an obscene number of of fans or folks liked it and it reached a wider audience.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Too earn as much as it did DOM and WW and have a decent multi after such an enormous OW, they either have an obscene number of of fans or folks liked it and it reached a wider audience.

they do have a lot of fans. You're aware of the other films in MCU, I hope?

😛

6 minutes ago, Avatree said:

they do have a lot of fans. You're aware of the other films in MCU, I hope?

😛

Yes. This could be applied to any and all sequels to any major franchise. The ones that break out more engaged more of the general audience is all I'm saying. In the MCU, that's Black Panther, Avengers, Infinity War.

The sequels to Star Wars, Avatar, Wonder Woman, Black Panther, Frozen, etc. are made for the fans too. 

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yes. This could be applied to any and all sequels to any major franchise. The ones that break out more engaged more of the general audience is all I'm saying. In the MCU, that's Black Panther, Avengers, Infinity War.

People check them out because of interest or just to keep up with water-cooler conversations. Not sure that means fully engaging or not — though I’m sure it does for some. You also probably have a fair amount of repeat viewers among diehards. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

People check them out because of interest or just to keep up with water-cooler conversations. Not sure that means fully engaging or not — though I’m sure it does for some. You also probably have a fair amount of repeat viewers among diehards. 

Totally agree. Doesn't that apply to diehard fans for any sequel to any and every major franchise though?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Totally agree. Doesn't that apply to diehard fans for any sequel to any and every major franchise though?

Sure. And obviously the MCU fanbase is extremely large right now. What I’m saying is I’m not sure if there’s room to expand beyond IW. 

• Like 1