Eric the Ape

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

I love how you've resorted to communicating with emojis. Completely shocked someone from the land before time would know what they are. :ph34r:

Pictured below, Tele-

grandpa-the-land-before-time-vi-the-secr

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Disbelief 1

18 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yes. This could be applied to any and all sequels to any major franchise. The ones that break out more engaged more of the general audience is all I'm saying. In the MCU, that's Black Panther, Avengers, Infinity War.

The sequels to Star Wars, Avatar, Wonder Woman, Black Panther, Frozen, etc. are made for the fans too. 

But they still like the previous MCU films enough to watch Infinity War.

Its like a TV season finale that gets series high ratings. People who are somewhat familiar with the show and have dipped in and out, may watch the final episode and enjoy it, but they do that because they like the show in the first place.

The original comment said that the people who don't like Marvel films enjoyed Infinity War more than they would other Marvel films. There is simply no way this is correct.

Anyone who watched IW after having no investment in previous Marvel films, I dont believe they would enjoy it for the most part

Edited by Avatree

19 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Too earn as much as it did DOM and WW and have a decent multi after such an enormous OW, they either have an obscene number of of fans or folks liked it and it reached a wider audience.

I think its important to remember that not all people who watch movies watch them at the box office.  There are plenty of people who watch most of the MCU on Netflix, steaming, or illegally.  An event like Infinity War can draw those people in if its something they feel they can't wait to see.

• Like 1

Infinity War had the legs it had because it was exactly the type of movie that fans of the MCU wanted from it. I know some of my friends who are huge Marvel fans watched that movie 10 times in theaters. Of course that movie tapped into the GA which is how it opened as high it did and made as much money but I can’t say for sure that the GA who didn’t like Marvel, liked IW. There’s no way to actually prove that imo But I do know based on how Marvel fans reacted on here and the people I know in real life who are Marvel fans, really loved IW. And in the end, if the fans loved it, that’s what matters because the MCU has such a large fan base that it’s best to make sure they’re happy so they watch the movies again and again versus making them unhappy (see Age of Ultron :lol:)

Edited by Nova
  • Like 6

Idk if the MCU can increase its fanbase over in North America but I do think longevity will work in its favour as the fans who were there since the first Avengers as these films are pretty family friendly they'll be able to introduce them to their kids. The MCU also has a hold on all the major expanding markets Overseas so I'll only expect the solo films to increase Overseas even more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

from international thread.

Just now, Rthmar-vell said:

CM

-China -3rd Highest MCU OWe, +43% BP

-Korea 6th Western IOWE, Highest 1st SA MCU OWe Highest March, +22% Ahead BP

-Australia , Highest 1st SA MCU Owe, Highest MArch Owe, +30% Ahead BP

-Indonesia 2nd Highest Western OWe, 2nd highest MCU OWe, Highest 1st SA MCU, Highest March, +22% BP

-Russia Highest 1st SA MCU Owe, 2nd Highest March, +102% BP

-India 9th biggest Western OWe, Highest !st SA MCU, Highest Western March Owe, +99% BP

-Thailand 5th Highest OWe, Highest 1st SA MCU, Highest Western March OWe, +42% BP

-Taiwan Highest 1st SA MCU, Highest March , +42% BP

-Phillipines 4th highest OWe,Highest 1st SA MCU , Highest Western March OWe, +32% BP

-Malaysia-9th highest  OWe, highest 1st SA MCU, highest western March OWe, +65% BP

-Vietnam 2nd highest OWe, highest MCU  & Western March OWe, +52% BP

-Singapore Highest 1st Sa MCU, 2nd Highest western March OWE, +22% BP

-Brazil 2nd Highest OWe, highest 1st SA MCU Highest March OWe, +66% BP

-Mexico 5th Highest OWe, Highest March OWe, +44% BP

-Rest LA Highest industry Opening Weekends all time, #3 PAraguay, #4 Peru, #6 Panama Chile Ecuado, #7 Columbia

-UK/IRE highest 1st SA MCU 3rd Highest March,  BP opened Tuesday +25% BP Fri-Sun

-France Highest 1st SA MCU, 3rd highest March, +48% BP

-Italy Highest 1st SA MCU, +76% BP

-Spain  highest 1st SA MCU, +76% BP

-Rest EU 2nd Highest Owe Ukraine, 2nd Highest MCU Belgium, Bosnia, Croatia, Netherlands, Romania, Serbia Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey. Highest March Austria, Belgium , Iceland Netherlands(non local) Slovenia,Turkey (US Studios) 

Imax -Highest Marvel 2nd Highest OWe, Biggest Imax Owe in 12 Intl Territories inclu Germany, Ukraine, India, Puerto Rico

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, RichWS said:

14% 3D share reminds me that rejecting the format is one of the few positive decisions we've made.

:), The Split

2D 86%, Traditional 2D 66% PLF 11% Imax 2D 9%

3D 14% Traditional 11% PLF 3%

• Like 9
  • Thanks 10

Just got home from Captain Marvel.  It was incredibly generic and a bit cartoonish.  First 3rd of the movie was mind numbingly boring.  I think its relative position in the MCU based on RT score is pretty accurate.  Don't expect the legs to be anything crazy.

Edited by ZackM
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Rthmar-vell said:

CM

-China -3rd Highest MCU OWe, +43% BP

-Korea 6th Western IOWE, Highest 1st SA MCU OWe Highest March, +22% Ahead BP

-Australia , Highest 1st SA MCU Owe, Highest MArch Owe, +30% Ahead BP

-Indonesia 2nd Highest Western OWe, 2nd highest MCU OWe, Highest 1st SA MCU, Highest March, +22% BP

-Russia Highest 1st SA MCU Owe, 2nd Highest March, +102% BP

-India 9th biggest Western OWe, Highest !st SA MCU, Highest Western March Owe, +99% BP

-Thailand 5th Highest OWe, Highest 1st SA MCU, Highest Western March OWe, +42% BP

-Taiwan Highest 1st SA MCU, Highest March , +42% BP

-Phillipines 4th highest OWe,Highest 1st SA MCU , Highest Western March OWe, +32% BP

-Malaysia-9th highest  OWe, highest 1st SA MCU, highest western March OWe, +65% BP

-Vietnam 2nd highest OWe, highest MCU  & Western March OWe, +52% BP

-Singapore Highest 1st Sa MCU, 2nd Highest western March OWE, +22% BP

-Brazil 2nd Highest OWe, highest 1st SA MCU Highest March OWe, +66% BP

-Mexico 5th Highest OWe, Highest March OWe, +44% BP

-Rest LA Highest industry Opening Weekends all time, #3 PAraguay, #4 Peru, #6 Panama Chile Ecuado, #7 Columbia

-UK/IRE highest 1st SA MCU 3rd Highest March,  BP opened Tuesday +25% BP Fri-Sun

-France Highest 1st SA MCU, 3rd highest March, +48% BP

-Italy Highest 1st SA MCU, +76% BP

-Spain  highest 1st SA MCU, +76% BP

-Rest EU 2nd Highest Owe Ukraine, 2nd Highest MCU Belgium, Bosnia, Croatia, Netherlands, Romania, Serbia Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey. Highest March Austria, Belgium , Iceland Netherlands(non local) Slovenia,Turkey (US Studios) 

Imax -Highest Marvel 2nd Highest OWe, Biggest Imax Owe in 12 Intl Territories inclu Germany, Ukraine, India, Puerto Rico

Rth posted this in the international thread. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Harley said:

I thought this had a chance to break Beauty and the Beast’s opening weekend. I guess not.  

it had but it was like a best case scenario the realistic was 150-160 and came  right in line with the expectation still fantastic result though

Edited by john2000

11 minutes ago, john2000 said:

very good from captain marvel i bet that noone expected this

They really exploited the IWD connection (and IWD is really big over here) in the Spanish release. Female driven movies tend to do very well in Spain - better than CBM's in fact, relative to their US BO -, so CM can have a great run if they managed to appeal to women. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1