Ezen Baklattan

THE 2019 BOFFY AWARDS: Spider-Verse Wins 7 Including Picture, Cuaron Wins Director, The Favourite Wins Ensemble

Let's get to it.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Emily Blunt

A QUIET PLACE

Elizabeth Debicki

WIDOWS

Regina King

IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK

Emma Stone

THE FAVOURITE

Rachel Weisz

THE FAVOURITE

Michelle Yeoh

CRAZY RICH ASAINS

And the BOFFY goes to...

Spoiler

Rachel Weisz (The Favourite)

Image result for rachel weisz favourite gif

Sorry Abigail.

Runner Up: Emma Stone (The Favorite)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Low-key wish there's a recent movie I hated enough to "hate on" (even though I don't like spreading negativity). I guess Wrinkle in Time is pretty damn awful, but what with the dumpster fire certain parts of the internet has become due to Captain Marvel controversies, I can't really hate on that movie without some troll calling me out lol.

In terms of 2019 movies I love enough to stan for, Dragon 3 is fucking amazing and anyone who says it isn't is wrong. 

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

I don't even hate it. sure it's not a good film but that's fine, bad films come out all the time.

I hate the sickly level of strange adoration its getting and i hate that it's blocking out worthy winners from these meaningless awards. and i DO full on hate the animation style. If it had normal animation i may have even enjoyed it, who knows.

Honestly if it went with normal animation I’m not sure it’s as big a success 

Just now, DAJK said:

Low-key wish there's a recent movie I hated enough to "hate on" (even though I don't like spreading negativity). I guess Wrinkle in Time is pretty damn awful, but what with the dumpster fire certain parts of the internet has become due to Captain Marvel controversies, I can't really hate on that movie without some troll calling me out lol.

In terms of 2019 movies I love enough to stan for, Dragon 3 is fucking amazing and anyone who says it isn't is wrong. 

this is the boffy thread

• Disbelief 1

Just now, DAR said:

Honestly if it went with normal animation I’m not sure it’s as big a success 

Good. It should have done that. I'd have enjoyed it and it would have lost money and not get more sequels. That's a better timeline.

• Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, Spagspiria said:

Who made us :hahaha:the most?

FUNNIEST USER

@aabattery

@Chewy

@CoolioD1

@IronJimbo

@Nova

@That One Guy

And the BOFFY goes to...

Reveal hidden contents

@ everyone who voted for me

tenor.gif?itemid=4365351

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

And I meant that it is utterly pretentious and silly to make a black and white movie but make it in colour and do lazy conversion afterwards. I wonder if Roma had been in colour whether anyone would have taken it as seriously as some kind of artistic genius.

And you would find it less pretentious doing with on film that cost more than color film ?

Has for "lazy" that is really not the case, they kept color to also be able to "cheat" a lot, it was a lot of work:

Cuarón was heavily involved in the final-grade process, and worked in Hollywood with Technicolor supervising finishing artist and ASC associate member Steven J. Scott. According to Cuarón, the sessions comprised 576 hours of color correction and 397 hours of additional color support, for a total of 973 hours of sessions spread over six months.

It was probably a $350k+ conversion job, one could say lazier than create set that look like what you want in B&W directly, but it is much more work than just changing your color setting in VLC.

It is really hard to tell how a significantly different movie would have been received, a bit like what if Mememto would not used B&W to evoke memory...

55 minutes ago, Spagspiria said:

BEST SOUNDTRACK

Hide contents

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Part of me is like, this is garbage, and you all know it, and the other part of me is like "The Christmas Album Was The best Thing Released In A Decade" soooooo conflicted. 

Also, wow, look at all those technical awards that Black Panther won!  I can't wait for it to win Best Picture!  Oh.  Wait.  Right.   

giphy.gif

• Like 1

How mad will Tree get?

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

BlacKkKlansman

David Rabinowitz, Charlie Wachtel, Kevin Willmott, and Spike Lee

If Beale Street Could Talk

Barry Jenkins

Leave No Trace

Debra Granik and Anne Rossellini

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse

Phil Lord and Rodney Rothman

A Star is Born

Bradley Cooper, Eric Roth, and Will Fetters

Widows

Steve McQueen and Gillian Flynn

And the BOFFY goes to...

Spoiler

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse

Image result for angry groot gif

Only five categories left.

Runner Up: BlacKkKlansman

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Part of me is like, this is garbage, and you all know it, and the other part of me is like "The Christmas Album Was The best Thing Released In A Decade" soooooo conflicted. 

Also, wow, look at all those technical awards that Black Panther won!  I can't wait for it to win Best Picture!  Oh.  Wait.  Right.   

at this point, despite how much I disliked BLack Panther, I'd be very happy for it to win bp.

BEST PICTURE NOMINEE

ROMA

Image result for roma cuaron

I think one of my biggest regrets this past year was not being able to see Roma in a theater. Watching the film on my small screen in the comfort of my living room was nice and all but I really wish I could've gotten the chance to see it on the big screen like so many of my other favorite films this year. Oh well.

Regardless, this film is a masterpiece in all the right ways. I've always respected Cuaron as a filmmaker – I mean how could I not when he managed to make, debatably, the best Harry Potter film and also one of the best films to utilize the 3D format, Gravity. Having now seen this and also watching Children of Men for the first time a few months ago, I can safely put him up there as one of my personal favorite directors.

This was a passion project for Cuaron and it definitely shows. The house they filmed the movie at was actually right across the street where he grew up in the Colonia Roma county of Mexico City, Mexico. As such, it feels extremely personal, almost like we're being given a glimpse inside a family's life that we otherwise wouldn't have gotten. You'd think that it wouldn't be that enthralling but shockingly, I was engrossed in the film the whole way through. Every technical aspect from the beautiful black-and-white cinematography, the luscious production design, the intricately layered sound design (I swear, even listening to the film with my regular TV with no built in sound system, I almost felt like I was really there), everything felt so on-point.

Technicals aside, the story drew me in completely. As the film goes along, it's hard not to feel involved in the life of this family, with Cleo acting as sort of a vehicle for the audience to view the film. By the end of it, I felt like I was apart of the family; every step of the way, I shared in their joy, laughter, pain, heartbreak, fear, contentness, the whole spectrum of emotions. Despite being sort of a slice-of-life story, there is a feel to the film that makes it feel so much larger than life than it really is, almost as if you're on this epic journey. It's hard for to really put into words so forgive me if it sounds vague. The only other movie that comes to mind that I'd probably compare it to is Boyhood. 

Roma is nothing short of a powerful film. Despite its small slice-of-life roots, the filmmaking and craft on display give it almost a life of its own, creating something that feels quite epic in scale. in many ways, that's how I sometimes I've view my life: on the surface, it doesn't feel all that exciting or important but each new event, each new life experience, and each new change feels like a journey in it of itself, shaping us into who we are. It may not seem epic but to us, each new day is an epic of its own, and something I feel Cuaron managed to capture in this film. For those reasons, Roma is, far and away, my favorite film of 2018.

- @Rorschach

Image result for roma the way cuaron intended

Tasked with following up consecutive directorial triumphs, Alfonso Cuaron delivers another stunning viewing experience in Roma. A deeply personal, reportedly semi-autobiographical film for Cuaron, Roma is a captivating slice-of-life period drama that immediately immerses viewers into its world and remains hypnotic and beautiful all the way to its concluding shot. For all the talk about the deliberate pacing in the first half of the film, I was captivated throughout the whole running time thanks to the unhurried approach Cuaron takes to making the world the protagonist lives in feel vivid. The cinematography is the most striking and beautiful work I’ve seen in any film this year; taken with the expert sound design, it makes the film feel like something that absolutely should have been readily available in cinemas before hitting Netflix streaming. As a film driven largely by the experiences of its protagonist, a heavy burden falls on lead actress Yalitza Aparicio’s shoulders, and she nails her role as housemaid Cleo. She gives a wonderfully tender, carefully observed performance that feels entirely natural and provides viewers with an easy emotional window into the film’s world. The rest of the ensemble is uniformly terrific, but Aparicio is the real revelation. Several of her scenes in the latter half of the film are remarkably powerful and become difficult to shake from memory when combined with the impeccable visual and aural power of their staging and execution. Taken as a whole, Roma is an outstanding cinematic accomplishment whose deep authenticity and raw power make it one of the most rewarding viewing experiences of the year and another worthy jewel in Cuaron’s directorial crown.

- @Webslinger

• Like 7