Eric Burnett

Weekend Thread (3/15-3/17): Captain Marvel 68, Wonder Park 15.8, Five Feet Apart 13.2, Dragon 9.3, Madea 7.8

3 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

For the first time in forever,

A saturday, is underwhelming,

While the Friday was pretty good.

In CM's case it could be (not saying it did) that the trailer release for Endgame let to a slightly bigger Friday and a slightly muted Saturday. Sunday should see a normal drop in that case.

I hope for a nice 69,69M weekend now.

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

In CM's case it could be (not saying it did) that the trailer release for Endgame let to a slightly bigger Friday and a slightly muted Saturday. Sunday should see a normal drop in that case.

I hope for a nice 69,69M weekend now.

also you could say that the thursday increase might also had an affect

Pretty muted Saturday, in all honesty. Friday bump was massive (and Thursday hold was great too) - seems like the Endgame trailer clearly marked an effect on CM's box office and that prevented a higher Saturday increase. Still a good number, though. It'll still likely get to 400M+, as it's outpacing The Hunger Games at the same point in time (feel like this may be a better comparison than Wonder Woman, which was a 4x Summer player - although, obviously, Marvel should strive to beat WW, since CM had a 50M bigger opening).

55 minutes ago, Rthmar-vell said:

Should have just stuck with original set, Sat 29.1,  Fri 18.9

CAPTAIN FLOPEL :gold:

Seriously though, CM will surpass even the more optimistic pre-release predictions by the end of its run.

3 minutes ago, The Fast and the Furiosa said:

Spring Break and St. Patrick’s definitely. Even Panther had muted performances this weekend last year 

so thats why it doesnt have bigger increases 

Edited by john2000

Sometimes things just are.  St. Patrick's festivities people might celebrate Saturday,  people might celebrate Sunday. Maybe they'll go next weekend,  maybe it will be a sub 40% drop. 

I don't think the festivities played a factor at all.  It's a pretty standard drop off a big opening weekend.  It wasn't a 60% drop so that's good for it.  It's too early to say it has good legs,  bad legs or standard legs. It's looking like it'll be right in the middle to me.  Which is fine.  That means it will comfortably cross $400M and a billion.  

Not sure what more people are expecting.  This isn't Black Panther and never was. It's closer to Guardians of the Galaxy 2 with a bigger OS. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Sometimes things just are.  St. Patrick's festivities people might celebrate Saturday,  people might celebrate Sunday. Maybe they'll go next weekend,  maybe it will be a sub 40% drop. 

I don't think the festivities played a factor at all.  It's a pretty standard drop off a big opening weekend.  It wasn't a 60% drop so that's good for it.  It's too early to say it has good legs,  bad legs or standard legs. It's looking like it'll be right in the middle to me.  Which is fine.  That means it will comfortably cross $400M and a billion.  

Not sure what more people are expecting.  This isn't Black Panther and never was. It's closer to Guardians of the Galaxy 2 with a bigger OS. 

not only that but its still awesome that a new character will hit 1 billion thats enough for me 

Edited by john2000
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Bishop54 said:

A 3x is a 3x. 

Well, not when you are comparing apples to oranges.

The example I like to use is Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.  It has 3day multi of like 3.70, which is really good.  However, it opened on a Wednesday and it burned off around $90m in demand Wed/Thursday which in turn deflated the opening weekend.  

So while the number is technically good, it's deceiving because it made nearly a quarter of its total gross before the opening weekend took place.  The stat to look at would be the 5day multi, which is 2x, and that's not good.  

This is why 4day/5day opening weekends are harder to compare with 3day weekends.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

If CM doesn't pass 70M with estimates, it will with actuals. either way, suck it YT, drop is good. 

It still baffels me that they are going with that narative.

And the irony is great in this one.

They say: Liberals always take feelings over facts. They love the slogan 'facts don't care about your feelings' and than they spend 2 weeks spinning the results of a movie thats clearly doing good buisness and can't admit that they were wrong and get emotions get the best of them.

I mean CM is locked to do over 1B thats a great feet for almost every movie (maybe not for EG, SW9 or Avatar 2).

If we take the $740m WW after this weekend it will probably take atleast 2 more weekends to get to 1B and the WoM should leg it close to 1.1B after that I guess. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Disney movies make billies like it s a formality while other studios keep dreaming of that number or have one once in a blue moon.

If you read BOT at the time of the release of Ultron and Civial War , you d swear they were borderline flops.

And Beauty and the Beast made massive  numbers while everybody was yawning.

Can't wait for the 1.8B End Game flop, going to be real interesting if it would happen. 

2 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Speaking of GOTG would love to see Vol 3's OS gross reach Captain Marvel heights (probably too much of an increase realistically). Vol 2's OS was a tad disappointing especially since it got easily beaten by Ragnarok in the same year. 

agree but i also think that pirrates of carribean affect its overseas gross it released in their 3 weekend or so and had an overseas cume around 650 thats huge my prediction for volume 3 is 400-420 dom (around captain marvel) and os 550-650 

1 minute ago, pepsa said:

Can't wait for the 1.8B End Game flop, going to be real interesting if it would happen. 

sorry maybe i will sound like a bad person but i really want to see the meltdowns if lion king makes (only) 1.5 billion dollars i want that movie to hit 2 billion but really i would want to see that same for detective pikachu if it hits only 700 milion

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1