CaptainJackSparrow

Elvis | WB | June 24 2022 | Tom Hanks is Elvis' manager | Baz Luhrmann directs | RIP Lisa Marie Presley

Another music biopic that looks like every other music biopic. The problem is the genre never has any interest in the songwriting part of the subject's lives - that bit always comes magically, out of nowhere - and instead it's just the boring stardom side that we already know about.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 1

Not sure why anyone would care what twitter has to say about this movie. Film Twitter isn't a real thing and yearly online discourse is proven to have 0 impact on reality. This isn't a social media movie, it's for adults. But still, it's #4 on trending Youtube and the twitter links have 180k (Baz's account), 200k (Elvis account) and 32.5k (WB account). 

Wish the flashbacks didn't have piss filter. Those look uncharacteristically bad for Baz

• Like 2

This looks as flashy as I expected an Elvis biopic from Baz to appear, whether that completely overwhelms everything else remains to be seen. Butler looks like he's captured the energy even if he doesn't bear much of a resemblance to the man. Hanks' accent is...something.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hatebox said:

Another music biopic that looks like every other music biopic. The problem is the genre never has any interest in the songwriting part of the subject's lives - that bit always comes magically, out of nowhere - and instead it's just the boring stardom side that we already know about.

That is why i like Love & Mercy, it really dives into the songwriting part. One of the single worst parts of Bohemian Rhapsody is the actual creation of the titular song, a song which is considered an important and groundbreaking work pretty much arrives fully formed in the movie with no arguments at all between the bandmates about whether they are actually planning on releasing a song like that.

Of course, we also have this scene to tell us "the other band members were not useless"

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I don’t get any of the appeal to Elvis.

1950s teen girls were more attracted to Elvis than any period of women was ever attracted to their contemporary heartthrob. He was a handsome guy who they got down to 2% body fat and dolled up heavily with fake tans, make-up, and hair dye. He danced in a highly suggestive way for the time. And as a person, he was an exceptionally kind, fun-loving "every man". It's easy get why some people were so into him even if it doesn't really work for anyone nowadays. 

Trailer was good. But even as a 100% straight man, I will say that Butler is not close to as handsome as young Elvis was and I really wonder how that is going to work in the film. Will it be believable to see women throwing themselves at him? Fat Elvis is obviously different.

Edited by excel1

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I don’t get any of the appeal to Elvis.

A guy that look like that, talk like that, dance like that has an exceptional 3 Octave range (he could be the best pop anglo-saxon male singer of all time) is a more than a generation level of rare talent, that arrived when television became a monster (the Monroe/JFK/Presley are a bit of a first on tv factor that will make everyone that came late will never be able to fully take their place in the mind of people that was alive then, like the first season participant of a reality show that continue later on).

And after that he decided (with is agent) to do a regular military service instead of a proposed sing for the troupe type of service of the government, combined with a shift in music style, and suddenly you had the rebel/youth mega star that was a star among the older conservative has well.

And being not only one of the best interpreter/show man of pop music history, he was apprently quite good in arrangement for example:

2 hours ago, excel1 said:

even if it doesn't really work for anyone nowadays.

Not sure of much that case:

https://daytrippin.com/2020/01/16/the-beatles-and-elvis-presley-among-the-top-selling-album-artists-of-the-2010-decade/

In the 2010s, the biggest album sellers were:

Here is the full Top 10 list of Total Album Sales for the Decade:
1) Adele                               23,924,000
2) Taylor Swift                   22,972,000
3) Eminem                          13,862,000
4) Justin Bieber                  12,098,000
5) Drake                               10,526,000
6) The Beatles                     10,309,000
7) Luke Bryan                       9,572,000
😎 Lady Antebellum             9,452,000
9) Michael Buble                  9,444,000
10) Elvis Presley                   9,278,000

He is still one of the most popular singer on the planet I would imagine.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 2
  • Astonished 1

The core of his appeal is that Elvis the person was an extremely likable individual. He was known to be extremely friendly, upbeat, welcoming, etc. At his core beyond all the fame and glamor, he was a humble-poor boy who just wanted to have fun, eat cheeseburgers, and hook up with hot chicks. There is a reason he had so many female and male fans.

Edited by excel1

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

The core of his appeal is that Elvis the person was an extremely likable individual. He was known to be extremely friendly, upbeat, welcoming, etc. 

Is 1968 return show display that quite well, how he act with the band, the close crowd, etc... But I think the core was the voice,:

The rest added to it and made the movie career, there are a lot of lovely people, they do not become one of the most popular figure of culture for 65 years, he was a musical prodigy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eric Drake said:

I'm DYING over Hanks' accent :lol: He sounds like a Bond villain.

Everything else looks alright, if standard I suppose. I'm sure my mom will be all over this.

Col Parker was a Bond villain.  Eviler than most.

I'm not sold on this actor for Elvis from the trailer.  On stage the clips look more like an exaggerated Elvis impersonator than Elvis.  Not one clip showing Elvis' charm and humor and not feeling the sex appeal.  But it's always hard for an actor to portray an iconic superstar - there's a reason they're iconic and others aren't.

Looks like we're going to get a lot of the '68 Comeback Special (which I highly recommend to everyone).  Not just the sexy black leather but the white suit he wore for his tribute to MLK & Bobby Kennedy.

and look how young and pretty with the voice of an angel

Ah, I see Barnack has already posted a clip from the 68 special which shows some of the immense charm, humor and sex appeal in addition to all that talent.  I mean...

Edited by TalismanRing

They were never going to capture Elvis sex appeal + magnetism combo. His pretty in a prime Brad Pitt/Warren Beatty/Henry Cavill/Josh Hartnett/Ronaldo kind of way. Zero fat or water weight on his face, high cheek bone, prominent jaw. But he had the personality of a talk show host. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Eric Drake said:

I'm DYING over Hanks' accent :lol: He sounds like a Bond villain.

Everything else looks alright, if standard I suppose. I'm sure my mom will be all over this.

I've seen more than a few comments about this.  

It isn't Hanks' accent, it is Col. Tom Parker's accent.  He looks and sounds pretty spot on like him.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I would normally say that this is going to be a big summer adult hit. But then again Rocketman couldn’t manage 100M, so I have my doubts that this will either.

Rocketman was really really big in is natural market of the UK too (#13 of the 2019 release with 32 millions, bigger than Hobbs and Shaw, lIttle Woman, Once Upon a time.

That like a 175 millions BO in the USA that year.

I do not imagine that playing everywhere, but in the natural market (part of the US-Canada, Brazil ?) I do not know the song right/performance situation and so on, but RocketMan in UK/Australia was a major hit.

Trailer views for this are somewhat tame but the reaction is excellent and I must say - that is one well-edited trailer. The mid-trailer tonal shift beginning w/ the note about MLK murder, Elvis noting it has everything to do with them, than the actual Elvis's epic boom from Unchained Melody kicking in while character Elvis becomes deep and reflective - that section hits like a ton of bricks.  This looks like it will be mores about the birth of the modern celebrity/activist and told through the highly cinematic tale of Elvis's insane rise, moderate fall, huge comeback, and tragic early death. 

We'll see how this does in its current release date, but it should open well.

Edited by excel1

On 2/17/2022 at 8:19 PM, Barnack said:

A guy that look like that, talk like that, dance like that has an exceptional 3 Octave range (he could be the best pop anglo-saxon male singer of all time) is a more than a generation level of rare talent, that arrived when television became a monster (the Monroe/JFK/Presley are a bit of a first on tv factor that will make everyone that came late will never be able to fully take their place in the mind of people that was alive then, like the first season participant of a reality show that continue later on).

And after that he decided (with is agent) to do a regular military service instead of a proposed sing for the troupe type of service of the government, combined with a shift in music style, and suddenly you had the rebel/youth mega star that was a star among the older conservative has well.

And being not only one of the best interpreter/show man of pop music history, he was apprently quite good in arrangement for example:

Not sure of much that case:

https://daytrippin.com/2020/01/16/the-beatles-and-elvis-presley-among-the-top-selling-album-artists-of-the-2010-decade/

In the 2010s, the biggest album sellers were:

Here is the full Top 10 list of Total Album Sales for the Decade:
1) Adele                               23,924,000
2) Taylor Swift                   22,972,000
3) Eminem                          13,862,000
4) Justin Bieber                  12,098,000
5) Drake                               10,526,000
6) The Beatles                     10,309,000
7) Luke Bryan                       9,572,000
😎 Lady Antebellum             9,452,000
9) Michael Buble                  9,444,000
10) Elvis Presley                   9,278,000

He is still one of the most popular singer on the planet I would imagine.

I don't know how this answers the question.
All I see is that he sucks lol, horrible music full of covers too, glad we're not in the 50s

Edited by Lighthouse