CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And they should give the whole franchise a couple of years rest, but I know that will not happen.

Why not?

It was 5 years between FB and DH2.

If they start developing something right now it won't be out before 2025-2026 at earliest.

And they won't start developing something now.

33 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Is it the Rowling haters or the Depp fanboys? I  have seen both explanations (ie,excuses) made here.

One of the things I dislike about hard core fans is they just can't accept people's taste differ.

"HOW DARE YOU NOT LIKE SOMETHING I LIKE" is often their battlecry.

Neither because neither are verified

43 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Uh, studios exist to make money for the stockholders, not to make individuals happy.

I could bear a grudge against Warners for abadoning the Aubery/Maturin franchise after "Master and Commander" did not do well at the box office, but I understood they would not spend money on a questionable project at the box office just to please me.

I might be wrong but Master and Commander wasn't Warner Bros, it was a 20th Century Fox, Universal and Miramax film.

I don't think it'd be that difficult to just make JK Rowling an exec producer on future WW films but let have very little to no involvement in the process. 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

I just don't see that happening. But also this narrative that Rowling wants absolute control maybe isn't that true after all. She was very liberal in her relationship with the original movies. She let other people write The Cursed Child. She allowed Kloves to be co-writer on The Secrets of Dumbledore.

She allowed other people to write story for the Hogwarts Legacy.

If I am not mistaken, it was WB who wanted her to write Fantastic Beasts. 

My point is, this idea that Rowling wants to control everything is maybe just online myth. What is the evidence of that at the end of the day?

3 hours ago, Noiret Jak said:

Let's not forget that with all the money that is made on the HP license with all the derivative products that are #1, money they will never lose. Much more than any MonsterVerse.

3 hours ago, grim22 said:

This is true, the question is whether they can make the same money without the FB series continuing and instead pivoting to a different series within the Potter canon.

I got the feeling Hogwarts Legacy will keep the HP alive, so don't know if they need to continue with the Fantastic Beasts movies.

5 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Neither because neither are verified

I should have put an S after that, I was being a bit sarcastic.

It's nonsense to think that either had a major impact on the film's box office.

5 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I might be wrong but Master and Commander wasn't Warner Bros, it was a 20th Century Fox, Universal and Miramax film.

I don't think it'd be that difficult to just make JK Rowling an exec producer on future WW films but let have very little to no involvement in the process. 

You are right, it was Fox but my comment holds.

Ah,yes, exec Producer which is often just a polite thank you credit with the recipent having little to do with the actual production of the film.

4 hours ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

They're probably gonna find a way to screw Rowling out of the franchise, and no sane people will feel bad for her

I doubt it will be that easy; Rowling had enouhg money to hire lawyers as good as Warners.

4 hours ago, WeThrones said:

I just don't see that happening. But also this narrative that Rowling wants absolute control maybe isn't that true after all. She was very liberal in her relationship with the original movies. She let other people write The Cursed Child. She allowed Kloves to be co-writer on The Secrets of Dumbledore.

She allowed other people to write story for the Hogwarts Legacy.

If I am not mistaken, it was WB who wanted her to write Fantastic Beasts. 

My point is, this idea that Rowling wants to control everything is maybe just online myth. What is the evidence of that at the end of the day?

And, beleive me, Warners would not give that kind of control over to Rowling anyway.

Meh.

Was it better than CoG? The script was (by default), the direction wasn't. I actually thought David Yates' direction of CoG was impressive, considering the material he was given. However, the production of this reeked of laziness. Very little interesting shot selection, little imaginative originality to the use of magic or the effects themselves. Overwhelmingly dull color palate. COVID for sure threw a wrench into the plans, but that didn't stop other productions like The Batman from achieving their visions.

22 hours ago, AJG said:

84% VA RT score is all that matters.

A disaster. Probably a B/B+ Cinemascore. Franchise history + that reaction will probably lead a car crash second week drop.

Verified Audience RT Law strikes again

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE SECRETS OF DUMBLEDORE (2022)B+

Not really interested in a Wizarding World where Rowling doesn't have total control over the stories. This is not a comic book movie situation.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

Edited by Xavier

6 hours ago, DAJK said:

Did anyone else feel like... nothing really happened in this? Did I miss something lol.

You did not.

As I walked out from our (maybe 30% occupied) IMAX screening last night, I thought of a more appropriate title. Fantastic Beasts: Empty Calories.

Which I find more and more offensive as it sits on me. This was delayed several times. Even after Crimes of Grindelwald underperformed and they had to regroup and hit pause.

To watch this, one doesn't feel any "reassessment" went down. This would have been the same film we got in 2020 especially with the thrust of the plot centering around an election and it being rigged by the baddies.

Oh. How. TOPICAL, Jo!

Learned absolutely nothing and placed all the "Don't worry, we listened y'all!" narrative on firing Depp. 

If anything, the epilogue felt like a total reshoot/pick-up. Like how a TV show doesn't know if it's getting another season so they do the season finale in such a way it would also serve as a series finale?

Edited by filmnerdjamie