CJohn

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore | April 15, 2022 | Final Trailer on Page 75

19 hours ago, Macleod said:

Die-hards alone do not keep a franchise going...unless you're Bruce Willis-Die Hard. 

Particularly when the films in the franchise cost as much as the ones in FB do.

You might  get away with a hard core audience with a low budget Horror franchsie, but not with  the Wizarding World.

And the way it's dropping it won't get much beyond 300 Million. Warners might actually lose money on this one.

Edited by dudalb

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Particularly when the films in the franchise cost as much as the ones in FB do.

You might get away with only a hard core audience for a  low budget horror movie franchise, but not this franchise.

The way it's dropping, it will be lucky to break 300 Million.

Edited by dudalb

It's blowing my mind seeing the hoops people are jumping through to defend Rowling and this movie. 

"Oh well, do most movies make money?" "How can you define a success, anyway" etc etc

And I don't even mean her politics. I mean her talents as a screenwriter, full stop. 

There was hype for this franchise. I was there.

A lot of that hype wasn't just about it being a stealth Harry Potter prequel. People wanted to see more lighthearted magic adventures set in famous international locales involving cute animal creatures. 

Each movie has increasingly ditched this aspect in order to focus on the political system of the Wizarding World in the mid 30s. 

I refuse to believe that this was the plan form the beginning, despite what she says. 

If it was, why was New Scamander (and his creatures) set up as the main focal point of the first movie only so the next two would struggle to work him into a Dumbledore/Grindlewald narrative?

Why did she have Credence character blow up in a heartbreaking way at the end of the first one from a disease that makes you blow up in a heartbreaking way only to bring him back in the second, all better?

And look. There's nothing wrong with making it all up as you go along. What annoys me is that she and her stans keep trying to pretend that this was always her plan all along.

I refuse to believe she is that believe that she aways planned for Nagani to be a Korean woman, or Dumbledore to be gay, or that his brother was a baby who was switched with the that of Leta Lestrange's brother who was also on the same ship, learning this due to Leta Lestrange's half brother wanting revenge for his mother being raped by... etc 

Edited by TerwillikerInst
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, TerwillikerInst said:

Why did she have Credence character blow up in a heartbreaking way at the end of the first one from a disease that makes you blow up in a heartbreaking way only to bring him back in the second, all better?

Actually that was always part of the plan, evident from the fact there is a deleted scene showing Credence leaving New York. Not to mention there is a close up of some piece of the obscurial after the destruction, and while that's more subtle both me and my brother called it back in 2016. 

As to you other points it's been known that Dumbledore is gay since 2007, but other than that I agree that there are tons of stuff that's probably made up along the way. 

5 hours ago, TerwillikerInst said:

It's blowing my mind seeing the hoops people are jumping through to defend Rowling and this movie. 

"Oh well, do most movies make money?" "How can you define a success, anyway" etc etc

And I don't even mean her politics. I mean her talents as a screenwriter, full stop. 

There was hype for this franchise. I was there.

A lot of that hype wasn't just about it being a stealth Harry Potter prequel. People wanted to see more lighthearted magic adventures set in famous international locales involving cute animal creatures. 

Each movie has increasingly ditched this aspect in order to focus on the political system of the Wizarding World in the mid 30s. 

I refuse to believe that this was the plan form the beginning, despite what she says. 

If it was, why was New Scamander (and his creatures) set up as the main focal point of the first movie only so the next two would struggle to work him into a Dumbledore/Grindlewald narrative?

And look. There's nothing wrong with making it all up as you go along. What annoys me is that she and her stans keep trying to pretend that this was always her plan all along.

I refuse to believe she is that believe that she aways planned for Nagani to be a Korean woman, or Dumbledore to be gay, or that his brother was a baby who was switched with the that of Leta Lestrange's brother who was also on the same ship, learning this due to Leta Lestrange's half brother wanting revenge for his mother being raped by... etc 

I mean, Nagini is a derivative of Naga, a half-human half-serpent Asian creature. The name she gives her characters always bear meaning.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Felipe said:

I mean, Nagini is a derivative of Naga, a half-human half-serpent Asian creature. The name she gives her characters always bear meaning.

Her" talent" for names consists of looking up alternate words for the physical or character traits associated with the character and then choosing one or two. Often at random, and with no thought for their cultural background. 

Lest we forget what went down when she tried to tackle topics like Skinwalkers/Japanese/the entire continent of Africa, etc. 

In no way was Nagani ever portrayed or even hinted to be, a Korean lady that knew Dumbledore, up until that second FB movie. 

Edited by TerwillikerInst
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, TerwillikerInst said:

I agree about everything, except Dumbledore being gay because you can feel it in DH book. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WeThrones said:

On the one hand I am sad to see this franchise in this state, on the other - we will be free from David Yates finally 

YES. He needs to go. Enough already with the murky colors and underwhelming fight sequences. 
Just bring back Cuaron, although of course he would never come back to the WW.

2 hours ago, WeThrones said:

On the one hand I am sad to see this franchise in this state, on the other - we will be free from David Yates finally 

I guess I am a Potter purist;  I though the first FB film was a dissapointment and when I finally saw the second one on cable it was  worse.

It just never jelled.

I am a bigger fan of the Potter books then the movies to be honest. And David Yates is a reason. Hi sPotter  filims were not bad, but they were'nt as creative as the earlier films in the series. Sitll thinkk Prisoner of Axkaban is the best Potter film thans to Cuaron directing it.

Yates is a good journeyman director; he is generally competent but not really creative.

8 minutes ago, Xavier said:

YES. He needs to go. Enough already with the murky colors and underwhelming fight sequences. 
Just bring back Cuaron, although of course he would never come back to the WW.

I second that 1000% percent.

Cuaron seemed an unlikely choice, but he ended up making the best Potter film. And I loved the little Mexican touches he brought in, like the Dia de los Muertos figures in the Hogwars village shop. and the Goyaesque painting coming to live at Hogwarts.

• Like 1

I think Yates did good job with Harry Potter movies. His task was harder than previous directors since the books he was adapting were far more complex. Cauron is better, bit I liked Yates more than other two Harry Potter directors.

His work on Fantastic Beats is the definition of nothing special and average.

As much as I like Alfonso Cuaron, I don't think he should return to the Wizarding World franchise, they should be looking at directors who haven't been involved before so can bring in a fresh perspective like my preferred choice of JA Bayona for example although I wouldn't mind a female director taking on a WW film like Emerald Fennell or Jennifer Kent.

• Like 1

I was for 5 films at the beginning, but I'm more for a 4th and last. A true epic film, of conclusion, between the armies of Grindelwald and Dumbledore, between the war of the wizards and the Muggle war, true epic battles, STAKES, things to which the PUBLIC feels deeply taken by the intestines.

They owe it to us, this famous legendary duel. Inferi, Fantastic Beasts, there's so much power in making a finale so intense, and good. The declines in Europe and Japan could allow the film to exceed 400M, it would be a signal. I know that some here do not understand that some like this saga.

I'm aware of all the flaws in these movies, but there's definitely a way to end on something really crazy.
I still have crazy hope. Sorry guys.