cax16

Shazam! Fury of the Gods | March 17 2023 | Sandberg returns to direct. Will Sinbad return? | Get vaccinated!

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Given the directors repsonse of "at least I got paid" idk if this is a trend following Ant-Man so much as WB figuring they had a stinker on their hands for a while now.

This isn't a stinker. The director clarified that he wasn't referring to the quality of the movie but the response financially its been getting, in which he made a cheeky comment. He's said immediately afterward he was very proud with the movie.

Besides there were no test screening horror stories that indicated such a result.

Edited by Alex SciChannel
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 11:27 PM, CaptNathanBrittles said:

Hopefully this doesn't Trank his career.

Oh this is not nearly that bad. Trank trashed a hotel room and then went on an insane rant on Reddit beforehand trashing the production before release. This is nothing like that.

Edited by SpiderByte

This was fine, totally serviceable, nothing egregiously bad, super generic and predictable, does what it says on the tin. 

Kind of like a Thor 2 or Ant Man & the Wasp, I will forget every detail of this film within a week.

I think people are just finally expecting more from their blockbusters now, which will hopefully raise the quality of everything else. 

Djimon Hounsou was an absolute riot though, loved him in this.

• Like 5

It seems very unfair to go after the director for an "at least I got paid" statement. He's not dishing on WB or trying to make the execs look stupid. He's not insulting the film's stars or crew. He's just admitting he had financial motivation in taking the Shazam 2 job. Did we seriously think he was doing this for Academy Awards?

I'm pretty certain WB already didn't think the movie viable and didn't want to spend too much on marketing it. Most of these things like Rachel's reaction will be forgotten shortly because nobody cares that much about this other than "it bombed". It wasn't some kind of Lone Ranger/F4 2015 level quality control failure so that aspect won't be remembered either.

20 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

It seems very unfair to go after the director for an "at least I got paid" statement. He's not dishing on WB or trying to make the execs look stupid. He's not insulting the film's stars or crew. He's just admitting he had financial motivation in taking the Shazam 2 job. Did we seriously think he was doing this for Academy Awards?

I'm pretty certain WB already didn't think the movie viable and didn't want to spend too much on marketing it. Most of these things like Rachel's reaction will be forgotten shortly because nobody cares that much about this other than "it bombed". It wasn't some kind of Lone Ranger/F4 2015 level quality control failure so that aspect won't be remembered either.

That’s not even what Sandberg meant, the comments were all taken out of context. Basically what he was saying is exactly what we already knew on this site, the movie was about to bomb, he’s known for a while cause if we have tracking data that shows the movie is gonna bomb then obviously the studio does as well and he’d know. He’s a very funny guy and those comments were obviously him just being sarcastic but it was obvious people would use the comments out of context for clicks etc. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cax16 said:

That’s not even what Sandberg meant, the comments were all taken out of context. Basically what he was saying is exactly what we already knew on this site, the movie was about to bomb, he’s known for a while cause if we have tracking data that shows the movie is gonna bomb then obviously the studio does as well and he’d know. He’s a very funny guy and those comments were obviously him just being sarcastic but it was obvious people would use the comments out of context for clicks etc. 

I mean sure, he probably was quite aware the movie was screwed with no Superbowl trailer and release right next to Wick 4. I'm not blaming him for any of this (or Rachel). It is valid to want a paycheck when you're clearly not making award bait though.

9 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

I mean sure, he probably was quite aware the movie was screwed with no Superbowl trailer and release right next to Wick 4. I'm not blaming him for any of this (or Rachel). It is valid to want a paycheck when you're clearly not making award bait though.

I know but the point I’m making is his comments had nothing to do with wanting a paycheque or anything like that lol, and I’m not saying you or anyone else is blaming him.

He was tagged by some users on Reddit about the movie bombing. That’s where the comments came from, it was obviously just him trying to make a light of a tough situation but of course with the internet things always go sideways and things are taken out of context. 

Edited by cax16
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, FilmFincher said:

This was fine, totally serviceable, nothing egregiously bad, super generic and predictable, does what it says on the tin. 

Kind of like a Thor 2 or Ant Man & the Wasp, I will forget every detail of this film within a week.

I think people are just finally expecting more from their blockbusters now, which will hopefully raise the quality of everything else. 

Good review.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FilmFincher said:

I’m sure this movie would have been praised more if it came out 6 or 7 years ago lol feels like a typical middle of the road CBM

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Coneilg93 said:

I’m sure this movie would have been praised more if it came out 6 or 7 years ago lol feels like a typical middle of the road CBM

I do think there is a lot more willing for people to immediately say "it's the best" or "it's the worst" with very little in between now given how recent the first Shazam was I don't think that's necessarily true 

That one scene from the leaked footage gotta be a contender for my "Worst Scenes of 2023" list when all is said and done. Overall, though, the movie is fine, but not good. I gave it a 2.5/5. Completely forgettable and going bigger here hurt the movie compared to the original, which I'd give a 4/5. Mirren and Zegler are having fun, but Lucy Liu was quite bad. Zachary Levi's obnoxiousness was cranked up to 11 here, and while Jack Dylan Grazer is still the MVP, even his character was more grating than the first movie.

Some really funny moments interspersed between lots of duds, and the action is generally competent. I just wish we got A LOT more Billy Batson, a less convoluted plot, and funnier writing. The charm was there in fits and starts, whereas it was present the entire time during the original Shazam.

Edited by Dragoncaine

Just saw it at an super early 10:35am showtime. A very cliché filled superhero flick that I'll forget about by tomorrow morning. It felt dated. 5/10.  My 10 year kid said it was fine and that was it, lol. 

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/box-office-shazam-2-opening-weekend-stumbles-1235558787/

“Shazam: Fury of the Gods” opened to No. 1 in North America, but the Warner Bros. and DC Comics sequel fell short of expectations with its disappointing $30.5 million debut from 4,071 theaters. Heading into the weekend, the film was expected to collect $35 million to $40 million, which already wasn’t all that spectacular since it cost north of $110 million to make and another $100 million to market.

This movie is a disaster