Eric Duncan

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

15 minutes ago, #ED said:

I've also noticed in the past 2 years, they finally both play the same movies(Empire and E-Walk). Go figure Empire is doing well, considering they found Bed Bugs a few months ago.

Its because off Imax. so in a nutshell  when Empire 25 put in an Imax screen, that gave them the right to run films available in Imax even if E-Walk had a title(Traditionally exclusive). It use to be in that situation  Empire 25 could only run the Imax screen with the title, however that's since changed to they can also have couple more, that also came about with dolby cinema etc. There a few places this is happening how. for example in London The Empire Leicester Square and Odeon LS  are across from each other (same as Empire & E-walk). The Empire went and changed they main screen to Imax. so now some films play both sites, basically there it splits the gross 50/50 (most time), with Empire & E-walk when they both have same title the Empire winds by country mile.

@spizzer

Edited by RtheEnd
  • Like 4

Just now, #ED said:

I no longer attend Empire screenings. Considering I work 2 blocks away from Lincoln Square, much better location for me. Also, Lincoln Square I still believe is the best theater in the city, not even mentioning the IMAX screen of course.

I've been to the Empire and E-Walk when I've visited NY and they're okay though could do with some TLC. Never visited Lincoln Square but always wanted it. 

Just now, #ED said:

I no longer attend Empire screenings. Considering I work 2 blocks away from Lincoln Square, much better location for me. Also, Lincoln Square I still believe is the best theater in the city, not even mentioning the IMAX screen of course.

The only multiplex I miss. I did develop an affinity for Kips Bay due to how empty it usually was.

8 minutes ago, CloneWars said:

Checked out my theater for tomorrow. 70 showings. Mostly sold out until 10ishPM. Even early morning showings are mostly sold out.

Is it possible Sunday may only slightly drop from Saturday?

Thats how it look here as well, but with 99 showings.

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

Local to AMC Orange and Regal Spectrum Irvine.    

As of 7pm PT Sat. Seats available are either front row or 1-2am showings.

Cinemark 25s in the area are also Sold Out. 

12 minutes ago, RtheEnd said:

Deadline did include some Friday  theatre grosses in article

Interesting tidbits about Friday: four theaters grossed over $300K (AMC Empire NY 364K, AMC LSQ 362K, AMC Orange 347K, & Regal Spectrum Irvine 309K); 32 venues made over $200k; 111 playdates grossed over $150K, while 326 runs made over $100K. The lowest-grossing theater was the Regent in Allegan, MI, and it made $228.

Edited by budice

Just now, ZackM said:

They go to one of the other 6 theaters within 20 minutes of them that have more than 1 screening.

So my next question, why does this theater only have one screening 🤔

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CloneWars said:

And to think people thought the run time would hurt the movies gross.

if it was a 90 minute movie you'd get twice as many showtimes and a $700 million opening weekend. it's LOGIC.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

So my next question, why does this theater only have one screening 🤔

It's a 100 year old single screen auditorium in a small town.  7pm feature on weekdays.  2pm matinee on weekends to go with the feature.

Edited by ZackM
More info.
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

6 minutes ago, jedijake said:

I 100% agree. I saw it today. It was, um, "good-ish" but IW was so much better. BP and IM1 are galaxies ahead of this. The movie had TONS of problems and was kind of a big mess in most of it.

It won't beat TFA's domestic. 

My favourite is Guardians 1 and I think Winter Soldier is the best film, but I get why you think IM or BP are your choices.

I agree with the existence of many "problems" in EG

6 minutes ago, RtheEnd said:

Its because off Imax. so in a nutshell  when Empire 25 put in an Imax screen, that gave them the right to run films available in Imax even if E-Walk had a title(Traditionally exclusive). It use to be in that situation  Empire 25 could only run the Imax screen with the title, however that's since changed to they can also have couple more, that also came about with dolby cinema etc. There a few places this is happening how. for example in London The Empire Leicester Square and Odeon LS  are across from each other (same as Empire & E-walk). The Empire went and changed they main screen to Imax. so now some films play both sites, basically there it splits the gross 50/50 (most time), with Empire & E-walk when they both have same title the Empire winds by country mile.

@spizzer

Thanks for indulging me as always!  Appreciate the insight!

8 minutes ago, #ED said:

Don’t mention the IMAX. Lincoln Square has the real Imax with 70mm film, as opposed to LieMax, which I refuse to pay for. Other than Liberty Science Center, I don’t know another theater in the area with real Imax. I wanted to see End Game in Imax in Lincoln Square, but the AMC app crashed, so I settled for Empire 25 ( seeing it in a regular theater at Lincoln Square woulda felt like a consolation prize). I will be seeing End Game in glorious Lincoln Square Imax before its run is done though. 

• Like 1

Just checked out my theater and based on what it's showing me, if today is $110m then I expect at least $90m tomorrow. We currently have 43 shows scheduled and 30 of them are over 80% capacity already. Even the 12:15am Dolby Cinema is 1/4 full already. 

13 minutes ago, RtheEnd said:

@spizzer

Yes, that Regal E-Walk some how continues to be 2nd fiddle. It’s not even the 2nd highest grossing theater in NY. I believe that still belongs to Lincoln Square. People forgot how lucky we are to have that Lincoln Square IMAX screen. At one point(not sure if it still is)it was the biggest movie theater screen in the U.S..

• Like 1