Eric Duncan

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

15 minutes ago, 2019 movie tracker said:

next weekend:

Avengers - 150 / 600

Ugly Dolls - 10 / 10

Longshot - 8 / 8

The Intruder - 5 / 5

Captain Marvel - 5 / 421

La Llorona - 4 / 48

Breakthrough - 4 / 33

Shazam - 4 / 138

Dumbo - 2 / 111

Little - 2 / 39

Penguins - 1 / 8

Pet Sem - 1 / 54

Us - 1 / 174

wtf is Ugly Dolls and why the hell is it getting a 3,600+ theater release???

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Shrek 5. That is taking the animation record.

For a Box Office and personal standpoint, Disney’s stronghold is both powerful and very sad.

Yeah, as much as I'm a fan of Disney and everything they're doing, I really badly want to see some seriously big tentpoles from other studios. If not other studios, just something different. I'm not saying I'm experiencing superhero fatigue, but I do want some variety. I wish Disney or some other studio could come up with another adventure epic along the lines of Pirates of the Caribbean. Those movies epitomized the fun summer blockbuster. I had a huge grin on my face the whole time watching Dead Man's Chest in the theatre!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I think Shrek 5 is practically a lock. A Pokémon Red/Blue adaptation has a chance but it may be too repetitive for the GA and would have to be split into parts. Harry Potter 9 can also do it and something from DC, eventually.

I honestly don't think Red and Blue would make a good movie. Cursed Child probably would bring a lot of fans and audiences but that's a while off.

Shrek 5, I can't see audience being interested, live action Shrek from Universal could potentially be Beauty and the Beast 2.0. 

Just now, FTF said:

wtf is Ugly Dolls and why the hell is it getting a 3,600+ theater release???

just some random movie.  

it is like looking at the China box office, you never know what the other ones are

Spoiler
218090.jpg
$80.59 $297.89 $1454.33 $7.69 225322 10474920 4
$0.53 $114.91 $63.53 $5.21 13900 101547 24
$0.45 $3.97 $70.68 $4.72 9962 95797 9
$0.40 $46.16 $90.31 $4.87 7194 82970 25
$0.24 $0.56 $76.06 $5.57 4917 42796 2
$0.08 $9.72 $79.83 $5.05 1393 15754 16
$0.07 $52.14 $72.18 $5.02 1405 13611 37
$0.06 $2.90 $335.44 $4.92 253 12401 2443
$0.06 $2.62 $30.37 $5.01 2618 11075 8
$0.04 $1.38 $95.01 $7.17 502 5193 23

http://english.entgroup.cn/boxoffice/cn/daily/

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

Yeah, as much as I'm a fan of Disney and everything they're doing, I really badly want to see some seriously big tentpoles from other studios. If not other studios, just something different. I'm not saying I'm experiencing superhero fatigue, but I do want some variety. I wish Disney or some other studio could come up with another adventure epic along the lines of Pirates of the Caribbean. Those movies epitomized the fun summer blockbuster. I had a huge grin on my face the whole time watching Dead Man's Chest in the theatre!

I think studios are taking risks with more fun blockbusters, Disney has Jungle Cruise next year and Universal has Red Notice which admit-fully is a November flick. The Meg last year proved dumb fun can be a hit.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

If all of those other movies are that small, Endgame is going over $200m.

You know what would be funny?

If Endgame broke the old OW record again on its 2nd weekend :sparta:

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I honestly don't think Red and Blue would make a good movie. Cursed Child probably would bring a lot of fans and audiences but that's a while off.

Shrek 5, I can't see audience being interested, live action Shrek from Universal could potentially be Beauty and the Beast 2.0. 

Agreed on both but Shrek 5 is underestimated

Never doubt nostalgia and Universal’s marketing (the fact that they were able to get Dragon 3 almost to a $60M OW speaks volumes). Enough 90s/00s kids love the first two and would be willing to ignore the awful 3rd and the underrated 4th, if the 5th delivers. Also Shrek was originally supposed to be live action/CGI and if it really didn’t work then, it wouldn’t work now. Shrek like (to name a few getting remakes) Aladdin and Lion King should stay in their original forms because live action can’t capture the same energy to the same effect. Sure dozens will go for nostalgia and enjoy it but it won’t be able to fully recapture the magic of the original.

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think studios are taking risks with more fun blockbusters, Disney has Jungle Cruise next year and Universal has Red Notice which admit-fully is a November flick. The Meg last year proved dumb fun can be a hit.

You think The Meg has trilogy potential or is it a one-off? Having read the first few books, I could go for more Jonas Taylor stories.

I'm also a huge fan of Steve Berry's Cotton Malone books and would love if those could catch on as movies!

I honestly was expecting this whole weekend to be one big nervefest where all of us would be biting our nails wondering if it could crawl past 300m. And here we are, and there is literally zero doubt about crossing 300m, none. What was once impossible has become inevitable, wow.

We're not seeing any movie come close to this for years, if not more than a decade.

7 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I am really rooting for Jungle Cruise being big, I know the last thing Disney needs is another powerful franchise but hopefully it causes them to take more risks.

• Like 1

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I am really rooting for Jungle Cruise being big, I know the last thing Disney needs is another powerful franchise but hopefully it causes them to take more risks.

Me too! Right up my alley, and it's "original".

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Agreed on both but Shrek 5 is underestimated

Never doubt nostalgia and Universal’s marketing (the fact that they were able to get Dragon 3 almost to a $60M OW speaks volumes). Enough 90s/00s kids love the first two and would be willing to ignore the awful 3rd and the underrated 4th, if the 5th delivers. Also Shrek was originally supposed to be live action/CGI and if it really didn’t work then, it wouldn’t work now. Shrek like (to name a few getting remakes) Aladdin and Lion King should stay in their original forms because live action can’t capture the same energy to the same effect. Sure dozens will go for nostalgia and enjoy it but it won’t be able to fully recapture the magic of the original.

I think technology has improved enough for it to work as a live action film, Shrek could be prosthetics rather than CGI and it be the perfect parody of Disney's live action films.   

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

You think The Meg has trilogy potential or is it a one-off? Having read the first few books, I could go for more Jonas Taylor stories.

I'm also a huge fan of Steve Berry's Cotton Malone books and would love if those could catch on as movies!

I imagine we'll get a sequel but I don't see it until 2022 at the earliest since Warner Bros' summer 2021 slate is packed.

30 minutes ago, Walt Disney said:

I don't see anything big enough from any other studio to do it. The next Jurassic World movie will be the closest thing, and even that won't do it.

After how awful Fallen Kingdom was, I’d expect the next JW to decrease, so I’d say it has absolutely zero chance of getting anywhere near JW1, nevermind Endgame.

25 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Does Dolby (or other "premium formats") get the expanded "Shot On Imax" aspect ratios?

No, only IMAX has the expanded ratio as it was filmed with their cameras. All other formats get the standard scope ratio.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Space Jam 2 still is doing $400M DOM.

Don’t @ me

if WAG puts every character they own in it, that'd be a huge selling point.

Edited by Jonwo

5 minutes ago, Silver Surfer said:

I honestly was expecting this whole weekend to be one big nervefest where all of us would be biting our nails wondering if it could crawl past 300m. And here we are, and there is literally zero doubt about crossing 300m, none. What was once impossible has become inevitable, wow.

Yeah, instead we are biting our nails if this can crawl past 400m 😛