Eric Prime

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

3 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Nothing to do with the daily mail. Its based on all known legal estimates and illegal sources, total (not just live). Regardless of whether its true or not, its a huge show.

It's a completely ridiculous figure with no basis in reality.

I just realized that the amount Endgame Actuals end up being above  Estimates could be larger that the 2nd place finisher! Its basically reduced all the other movies weekend box office totals to rounding errors, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sahmeelg said:

Fox was the offeror in this scenario. Any other studio buying it will always come out having that kind of industry share. Hate on Fox for offering it in the first place. 

I have placed plenty of blame on Rupert Murdoch for deciding to sell most of his company, but I’m also placing a good deal of blame on the DoJ for approving of the deal. I never claimed that Disney is some kind of dictatorship (although everything I’ve heard would suggest that it’s not a pleasant company to work for) that’s forcing other studios out of business. 

My VIP theater has 5 showings of Endgame going on that will at least temporarily conflict with the airing of Game of Thrones. People in my area's response: not caring

6:35PM Eastern: 0 seats available

6:40: 1 seat available

8:45: 2 seats available

9:05: 0 seats available

9:10: 1 seat available

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

People were dismissing it as a nothingburger thats why. Its bigger than Endgame, people need to face it. Games have significantly bigger opening weeks than movies now, people need to remember other mediums exist.

GOT will have absolutely no impact on Endgame.

16 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

How exactly can other studios offer that can compare to the studio that owns Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, and 20th Century Fox?

It's true, Disney was shrewd with their purchases, especially considering AT&T, Comcast, Viacom etc. had the same opportunity to recognize the value of those brands and snatch them up.

Other studios have their IP's as well and they're bringing in big money. They're just not as big as Disney's IP. Nothing much you can really do about that. A huge percentage of the consumers' disposable income is small and very precious to them. They're going to spend it only on the best of the best and what interests them the most. If I have precious little money to spend on movies, you can bet I'm going to use it to go see Avengers, Star Wars etc.

Lastly, Disney is going all out in 2019. Barely any of the slates for any of their sub-studios (Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, Pixar, Walt Disney Animation Studios etc.) have been officially announced. Onward has been announced for Pixar. The rest is a bunch of "Untitled'" placeholders. They've got plans, for sure, but I believe in 2020 and beyond other studios will have their chance to grab the market back. Nothing Lucasfilm has planned is going to be as big as the Skywalker saga films. Nothing Marvel Studios has planned is going to be nearly as big as the Avengers. Disney has Avatar now but that's their one BIG play for the next few years or so (as far as I know). Let's see if their competitors take advantage.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 1

Also as if there was any doubt before, this weekend completely seals the conversations about #1 movie DOM and WW on 2019. This makes me more excited about Summer 2019, specially May with Endgame, Detective Pikachu, John Wick 3, Aladdin, Godzilla, Ma and Rocketman. Really curious how they'll coexist 

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

Nothing Marvel Studios has planned is going to be nearly as big as the Avengers.

Yet.

They are purposefully keeping things in the dark so that Endgame can have maximum impact.

I say in the next few months they will start announcing things.

These are the margins by which TAs broke the previous biggest non-SW OW :

HP8 => TA1

169.2 => 207.4 = +22.6%

JW2 => TA3 (Sidestepping TFA and TLJ for a moment)

208.8 => 257.7 = +23.4%

TA3 => TA4

257.7 => 350.0 = +35.8%

Just now, PDC1987 said:

It's a completely ridiculous figure with no basis in reality.

120M viewers live +1 day, and 55 million illegal downloads in 24hrs. Plenty more will watch over the course of the coming weeks, given that it also tops legal downloads on other services like Google play, iTunes and Amazon Prime, which have it available months later.

3 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

Yet.

They are purposefully keeping things in the dark so that Endgame can have maximum impact.

I say in the next few months they will start announcing things.

Nothing will gross as much as this. The audience for the past 10 years have shared a connection to the original six. This movie was their curtain call. I'll be shocked if MCU can find something that will gross as much as this specifically another Avengers film.

X-Men are household names but i don't even think a movie with them and the Avengers will gross as much as this.

Also Marvel 10 years ago wasn't this Marvel today. There's plenty of room for another studio to develop something that turns into a 2019! Marvel. They just need to do it properly. 

It's already in play, the PCU or the NCU potentially. Pokemon Cinematic Universe or they could do the Nintendo Cinematic Universe. ;)

Edited by Cappoedameron

1 minute ago, GirafficPark said:

120M viewers live +1 day, and 55 million illegal downloads in 24hrs. Plenty more will watch over the course of the coming weeks, given that it also tops legal downloads on other services like Google play, iTunes and Amazon Prime, which have it available months later.

Legal downloads, even for music, are minimal.

27 minutes ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

The OW record seems to get beat every 3-5 years.

I really think it’s silly to say something has a 0% chance to do something, especially when a 350m OW wasn’t seen as possible just prior to this weekend.

You may be right that it’ll take 10 years, but I’m just saying I’ve heard people say “This won’t happen again for a long time!” a lot of times.  

I’m not saying this to diminish Endgame’s weekend or anything, absolutely insane numbers.  I’m just skeptical of that statement given how many times I’ve heard it before and how little we know about what the cinematic climate will be like in even 2021 or 2022.

I get what you’re saying, but I guess the reason this is different to me is that I have been arguing with people for years that an ow somewhere in the 350-400 range was possible if demand was really that high. Nothing just ever came close. Now that it has, I’m not sure how much higher of a ceiling there is, never mind what movie could generate such demand again without years of build up? A sequel to the main Potter series is the only thing that comes to mind for any existing franchise, and we don’t even know if that will come next decade. 

Edited by MovieMan89

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I have placed plenty of blame on Rupert Murdoch for deciding to sell most of his company, but I’m also placing a good deal of blame on the DoJ for approving of the deal. I never claimed that Disney is some kind of dictatorship (although everything I’ve heard would suggest that it’s not a pleasant company to work for) that’s forcing other studios out of business. 

Seen a lot of hate for this deal and rightfully so, but more or less nothing on the AT&T Turner merger that is much bigger and imo far worse for us consumers. Especially now with net neutrality not being a thing anymore.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Nothing to do with the daily mail. Its based on all known legal estimates and illegal sources. Regardless of whether its true or not, its a huge show.

There is absolutely no way 1 Billion people even know a minor fact about GoT, such as a character name or an event that happened. I sincerely doubt the global audience is even 1/10th that size.

HBO shows in particular seem to be bigger than they truly are. Take The Sopranos. It was a fairly popular show, with ratings in the same range as GoT gets. Does anyone even care about Sopranos anymore? Certainly nobody talks about it. I had to google the show's name because I couldn't recall exactly what it was, I just remember it being about a mob boss. HBO is really good at generating buzz in the media, but that doesn't reflect their shows' actual audience or influence.

Queue the articles about "oh, whatever will HBO do when GoT ends?". HBO breaks those out every time they wind down a series. Not that many people really care, and the network will just move on with a new show for their fans to eat up.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sindreee said:

Seen a lot of hate for this deal and rightfully so, but more or less nothing on the AT&T Turner merger that is much bigger and imo far worse for us consumers. Especially now with net neutrality not being a thing anymore.

Is the AT&T and Time Warner deal really any worse than Comcast owning NBCUniversal? I’m not saying the deal shouldn’t be concerning, but as far as I can tell, it has no real bearing on the film industry specifically, which is what I was referring to when I mentioned that Disney is becoming a monopoly.