Eric Prime

AVENGERS: ENDGAME WEEKEND THREAD l Actuals: $357.115M | $866.526M OS, $1.223B WW l Russos true box office kings l *** NO SPOILERS - Even Tagged ***| SALE NOW LIVE: 50% Off Gold Montly, 25% Off Gold Annually

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Actually, if a single studio owns about 40% of the market share, that’s not good for the future of cinema. 

Well then other studios better start upping their game. 40% of the market isn't consuming Disney's products because they have to. They're not all being herded. They're just more interested in what Disney has to offer.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Actually, if a single studio owns about 40% of the market share, that’s not good for the future of cinema. 

Audiences are giving them that share and money. So instead of blaming Dis for making movies that audiences want to see, stop seeing their movies, make people around you stop seeing their movie, start a social media information campaign. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

And we would have had a 370 OW if it wasn't for GOT.

Oh well.

Maybe, maybe not. As I said yesterday, if there is a GoT effect it will just be to push the audience earlier in the weekend. It might be why Disney is predicting a more depressed Sunday than usual, but I doubt its having a huge effect, given that its not on until 9pm.

My point about GoT was that people are very dismissive of its popularity, but its similcasting in 170+ countries, no other non-live event has ever got close to that.

Edited by GirafficPark

36 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Nope, its 10-11 million accounts that watch live, not viewers. Its likely most accounts have more than one viewer.

I’ll look forward to what you have to say tomorrow when the Sunday number shows it had no effect. 

For all the millions watching GoT tonight, there’s plenty more who aren’t who will now be able to get in to see Avengers. 

Let alone those that planned there day by seeing Endgame earlier in the day than they normally would so they were back in time for Thrones. 

19 minutes ago, GirafficPark said:

Fans, as in people who have seen a number of the other movies and want to see this one? Yes, who else?

ComScore claims 54% like the MCU, so yeah majority were fans. 

Fifty-four percent of those who watched Thanos and company last night said it’s part of a franchise they like, while close to a third said they’re going to see it a second time in a theater, with 27% saying they’ll buy the Russo Brothers-directed sequel on Blu-Ray.

https://deadline.com/2019/04/avengers-endgame-opening-weekend-box-office-record-1202602445/

• ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’ll look forward to what you have to say tomorrow when the Sunday number shows it had no effect. 

For all the millions watching GoT tonight, there’s plenty more who aren’t who will now be able to get in to see Avengers. 

Let alone those that planned there day by seeing Endgame earlier in the day than they normally would so they were back in time for Thrones. 

I never said it would, people need to read more carefully.

I live in a town with two main theaters (14 and eight screens). The indy one has two screens. 

I can choose from well over 100 releases a year. 

There is not a choice problem or a monopoly problem. There is a “I hate that my movie is making much less than a movie with Ant-Man in it” problem. 

Enjoy what you enjoy. As a comic book of many decades, it’s kinda funny that this IP is seen as a bully now. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

11 minutes ago, Avatree said:

WellwornSolidCock-size_restricted.gif

True, but holy crap is it insane to think of the profit Disney will make from this film by the time ancillaries are added. Especially since this was one of the lowest key marketing campaigns for a big blockbuster in recent memory.

15 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

The number of competitors in the market does not define monopolization in the US. It's market share that defines it and the chief government regulating body in the US - the Federal Trade Commission - typically uses a market share threshold of around 50% (though sometimes higher) - to define a monopoly. Before this weekend, Buena Vista (Disney) already led the US market with just over a 20% market share for the year. That number is going to significantly increase after this weekend before ebbing and flowing all summer. Still, BV ending the summer north of 30%-35% is plausible. Yes, that's not a monopoly; but it is approaching one as I said in my original post.

The effects of the growing BV market share will be demands from theaters to pay them a higher % during the first few weeks of a film's run and longer runs at those theaters. This will slowly crowd out other films, thus increasing BV's share even more. So this may be great if you like the types of films BV releases now (regardless of what it does in the future). However, it's not a healthy indicator for the market as a whole.

But you don’t have to go many years back 4-5? And they had years when they were the 3-4-5th biggest studio. This industry changes all the time, Disney is in pole position right now, but in 5-10 who knows? Seems like Comcast, Disney and AT&T wants to focus more on streaming after seeing how much money Netflix makes in a year. Paramount, Sony, Lionsgate, the big studios baby studios and the independent studios will probably be bought from one of the big studios or a  huge corp ala Google, Apple or Amazon.

• Like 1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 3

So here we have a massive record-breaking weekend of massive record breaking proportions and yet some of the members here still find a way to find something negative to say. It's like some of you just aren't happy unless you're bitching and moaning and complaining about something.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 15
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Eh, not really though. In fact, many of us kept saying that if a movie with TFAs hype could open outside of the deflated holiday season, it could go much higher. Most people were also already thinking IX could beat TFAs OW at the time too (which ironically is unlikely now). TFA broke the record by 40m. EG is breaking it by 100. C’mon, there’s zero chance this record falls before 2025 at the absolute earliest, and I honestly don’t see it happening before 2030. That’s how long I think it will take for another franchise to get this big and have a long built up climax+ inflation to help. 

The OW record seems to get beat every 3-5 years.

I really think it’s silly to say something has a 0% chance to do something, especially when a 350m OW wasn’t seen as possible just prior to this weekend.

You may be right that it’ll take 10 years, but I’m just saying I’ve heard people say “This won’t happen again for a long time!” a lot of times.  

I’m not saying this to diminish Endgame’s weekend or anything, absolutely insane numbers.  I’m just skeptical of that statement given how many times I’ve heard it before and how little we know about what the cinematic climate will be like in even 2021 or 2022.

Edited by A Panda of Ice and Fire
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Quantum of Solace, AoU and TWD were piece of...  Look how their direct sequels did. The trick is in previews. casual fans are forgiving. give them attention grabbing preview, whether due to money shots or emotional content or both, and they'll eat it up and get hyped. Of course, it's easier said than done but Skyfall, Ragnarok and IW had stellar marketing that made people forget about shitty previous movies. And I'd say that IW had double the task cause CW was sort of TA 2.5 and had the worst legs of MCU movies or close. I adore CW but I'm aware that legs were shit. so it really looked like one-two punch of declining team up movies was a sign of fatigue. Well, nope. IW bounced back like nobody's business. the ball is now in TROS marketing court. I've no clue how the teaser is received cause I didn't get it 2 times I saw EG. 

I think you are fundamentally misunderstanding why some movies are doing better than others. Since we are years away from most of these, we have hindsight also available to us. Infinity War was billed as the end, it was the finale, and with so many intervening films between it and AOU or CW (based on your comparison) any bad taste leftover from those was long gone. In fact, I'm not really sure CW had much bad taste in the first place. 

Yeah, IW wasn't the end, but did casuals know Endgame was around the corner? Nope. It wasn't publicized like Harry Potter's split was. Or even Twilight's. I expected worse legs than it actually got which is probably a testament to the quality of the movie and the generally large amount of audience Marvel attracts domestically. 

Now that Endgame is the end for the majority of its moviegoers, it is experiencing the finale effect. We've seen this before with franchises with defined ends and long buildups (whether actual or perceived); Harry Potter, LOTR, SW Prequels. This is important because franchises without defined ends (most "original" ones like Nolan's Batman, POTA, X-Men etc.) or that seemingly rush sequels to the cinemas have not experienced this major boost. Of course quality also matters and many franchises whose quality dropped also experienced the inability to retain audiences.

Your Skyfall comparison is also a lousy one, simply because of how Skyfall was marketed. You are ignoring the content of your comparisons and treating them as numbers, which they simply cannot be. 

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

I'm just joking. but yes, I think records will fall sooner than people think cause now is easier to create a perfect storm. I mean, EG demolished IW's record and will make 3 billie after IW's 2 billie. those types of numbers (2 billie) will soon become more frequent thanks to expanded markets, inflation, increasing number of IMAX, AVX, VIP, etc specialty screens that charge more. 

Once again, and the reason I've highlighted yours out of the myriad of posts here, is that there seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding of exactly why Endgame is doing so well. For a movie that's made $350m in its OW, I cannot believe that people are actually underrating its success and thinking that other franchises can easily get those numbers with just inflation. 

You need to have a product that for some reason or another, is offering a "generational" experience. Which franchise, including the MCU, do you think can offer what Endgame has? Currently, absolutely nobody has anything to offer that can match. 

Do people think it was easy for Marvel to have an 11 year plan? To have this pay-off after 11 years that others can so easily copy it? If it was easy, it would've already been done, but no, you need patience- something corporations normally never have. For all the shitting on WB for the DCEU, they did shepherd Harry Potter through a decade, and by and large, they did a pretty damn good job of it. These successes take time and they need an X-Factor, and nothing ongoing or currently planned has that. 

As I've mentioned in other posts, even the MCU will struggle to top it because a generation of people have grown up with the OG Avengers and whatever the new formula will look like, it simply cannot replace the OG. If Marvel do beat it, and I expect they will try, it will be delivering a different X-Factor and not simply rely on what they did with 3 Avengers films (the first being the first cinematic universe movie, and the latter two being the promised finale a decade later). 

ps: Avatar's X-Factor was its 3D and A2's only real USP at this point is that its the 1st sequel after more than a decade, so Cameron could come up with something really spectacular- but he has one shot and it ain't gonna be OW. 

pps: What this current SW trilogy lacks, and this goes to TROS, is that it doesn't feel like a finale. It feels like the saga has barely begun. And with all the spin-offs and SW films they want to make every 1-2 years, the environment this movie will be releasing in is very, very different from the past. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

But you’ve been banging on about GoT all day? You clearly think it’s going to or why are we even talking about it? 

This is the same guy saying 1 Billion people watch GOT when the only source for that is the Daily Mail. Shows you why hes here. 

• Knock It Off 1