sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

3 hours ago, A Panda of Ice and Fire said:

What seems silly about that is by playing hardball they’re losing more showings than they’d be doing by making the exception

See that’s what I’m thinking. Sure, maybe there’s empty threats now (idk how they expect us to play the movie when we have no power but oh well) but when it comes down to it I don’t see why they would lose thousands of admissions for one screening that might have 50-60 people 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

It just seems crazy. If I understand correctly, they are releasing Endgame, Toy Story 4, Aladdin, The Lion King, and a Star Wars movie this year.

EACH of those movies could serve a studio as its can't - miss tentpole blockbuster for a single year! And they are releasing all 5 this year?

Seems nutso to me ....

Aladdin but not Frozen 2? 🤨

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

It just seems crazy. If I understand correctly, they are releasing Captain Marvel, Endgame, Toy Story 4, Aladdin, The Lion King, and a Star Wars movie this year.

EACH of those movies could serve a studio as its can't - miss tentpole blockbuster for a single year! And they are releasing all 6 this year?

Seems nutso to me .... With Captain Marvel and Endgame, they should have just said "OK, we dominated this year, the others will come out next year and beyond".

Why on earth should they sit on films like Frozen II, SW IX and TLK just because they've already had megahits this year?

What purpose does that serve from their perspective?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DAJK said:

See that’s what I’m thinking. Sure, maybe there’s empty threats now (idk how they expect us to play the movie when we have no power but oh well) but when it comes down to it I don’t see why they would lose thousands of admissions for one screening that might have 50-60 people 

Is this a possibility of some middle manager you're speaking to just being obstinate and inflexible?  Any possibility of going up the chain of command over there and explaining the situation?

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Why on earth should they sit on films like Frozen II, SW IX and TLK just because they've already had megahits this year?

What purpose does that serve from their perspective?

Let's not forget that Avatar 2 is looming next year.  So holding back TROS is out of the question.

Where are you going to put Frozen II in this scenario?  Mulan has March 2020 already.  One of the Marvel movies has May 2020.  Another Pixar film coming out in June 2020, so that already impedes TS4.

For that matter, where does TLK go?  Jungle Cruise is out in July 2020 (yeah, I know, but who knows).   

@SteveJaros are you really saying they should hold back TLK or Frozen II  'just cause'.

There's really no reason for it, near as I can tell.

====

Only film here which really gets 'hurt' in this schedule rollout is Aladdin.  But I also think you are waaaaaaaaaaay over-estimating the power of Aladdin, given its mixed buzz that it might only now be overcoming. 

24 minutes ago, SteveJaros said:

It just seems crazy. If I understand correctly, they are releasing Captain Marvel, Endgame, Toy Story 4, Aladdin, The Lion King, and a Star Wars movie this year.

EACH of those movies could serve a studio as its can't - miss tentpole blockbuster for a single year! And they are releasing all 6 this year?

Seems nutso to me .... With Captain Marvel and Endgame, they should have just said "OK, we dominated this year, the others will come out next year and beyond".

755472802_Godzillafacepalm.thumb.jpg.35b

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

755472802_Godzillafacepalm.thumb.jpg.35b

You give him that reaction but he’s not wrong. Disney doesn’t need to release another film and they’ll be the highest grossing studio domestically this year :ph34r:

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Is this a possibility of some middle manager you're speaking to just being obstinate and inflexible?  Any possibility of going up the chain of command over there and explaining the situation?

Not that I know of. Management doesn't have any control over what movies the individual theatre gets, it's all up to the booker and what the studios negotiate with them. 

From what I know, the movie theatre chain would obviously want to play Aladdin; it'll sell tons of tickets, and is the type of movie that sells lots of concession too. I know Disney has always been inflexible but obviously I only know what my manager has told me. 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

That does it. I am creating Frozen > Endgame thread. Jaros reverse jinx is powerful. I remember his Dory threads very fondly.

I can see that happening in Japan, for sure.

• Haha 2

Just now, FilmBuff said:

Steve Jaros had some legendary Disney film predictions couple years ago. Under predicted like every Disney film.

Didn’t he predict Infinity War to go under $400M domestic last year :ph34r:

34 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

That does it. I am creating Frozen > Endgame thread. Jaros reverse jinx is powerful. I remember his Dory threads very fondly.

I know this is a joke, but I think some folks here might have a bit of a blind spot when it comes to Frozen.

Frozen is one of the biggest merchandizing behemoths of the current Disney lineup, stronger even than Star Wars (at least a couple of years ago - haven't been able to track down current numbers).

As late as last year the soundtrack(s) for Frozen was still going strong over at Amazon.

If Frozen II hits at all, it could be a mega hit, especially as it'll have the holidays for its late legs.

As a gut-level read, I personally don't think 600m DOM is out of the question (basically I2 numbers) should it connect.  That's how much it is beloved by a large segment of folks out there.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Porthos said:

As a gut-level read, I personally don't think 600m DOM is out of the question (basically I2 numbers) should it connect.  That's how much it is beloved by a large segment of folks out there.

Y'all thought End Game was going to beat TFA, but the true Queen Elsa's coming for that crown.

:Gaga:

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 4

1 minute ago, captainwondyful said:

Y'all thought End Game was going to beat TFA, but the true Queen Elsa's coming for that crown.

:Gaga:

Man, I wish 😍      

One of my my greatest fears this year is Frozen 2 being markedly worse than the first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

I like to call it "unsocial media" often because thats what it is unfortunately.

Anti-social media.

I’ve always preferred message boards. At least in places like these, everyone gets to know each other and actually discusses.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, FilmBuff said:

Thanks for your ‘concern trolling.’ Fits in with the rest of the debbie downers today.

And yeah, you’re predictions aren’t gonna happen.

Me thinks you made an ass of yourself.

• Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 1

9 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

Steve Jaros had some legendary Disney film predictions couple years ago. Under predicted like every Disney film.

JL > Ragnarok + Coco

Never forget.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

Man, I wish 😍      

One of my my greatest fears this year is Frozen 2 being markedly worse than the first.

Yeah, no.  Unless they massively screw up the songs, there's no way it fails.