sfran43

Weekend Thread: Endgame 40.6M Friday, 61-62.5m Sat (per Asgard p.49)

10 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

I thought conventional wisdom was that for a three hour film you always wait to see what that Saturday jump is going to be.

Is there a conventional wisdom regarding 3 hour films? I mean, it makes sense to me that the longer a film is the more weekend heavy it might play, but we haven’t had a big long film in like a decade and a half.

Some of you are so spoiled that you’re acting like a $41M SECOND Friday is disappointing. News flash: a lot of movies don’t even make $41M in their entire run or even OW let alone on one day. 

And Marvel always plays huge on Saturday. I feel like this happens with every Marvel release. Friday is a bit tame, we get overreactions and then Saturday comes in booming. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lol y’all gotta calm down. Enjoy the ride. Worst case scenario it’s the second highest grossing movie stateside and highest grossing movie of all time overall. I mean... lol

Edited by jaybox
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Some of you are so spoiled that you’re acting like a $41M Friday is disappointing. News flash: a lot of movies don’t even make $41M in their entire run or even OW let alone on one day. 

News flash: everything is relative.     

A lot of movies don’t make 30M on their OW weekend either, but if yesterday dropped to 30M I hope you wouldn’t try to tell anyone that it wasn’t disappointing with a straight face.     

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Is there a conventional wisdom regarding 3 hour films? I mean, it makes sense to me that the longer a film is the more weekend heavy it might play, but we haven’t had a big long film in like a decade and a half.

Every 3-hour movie I’ve tracked has seen stronger-than-average Saturday bumps.  But you’re right, it’s been a while, and none have opened at this scale.

That said, I think effectively the net conclusion is the same: we should wait and see how Saturday is performing for EG before drawing conclusions about the weekend. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

News flash: everything is relative.     

A lot of movies don’t make 30M on their OW weekend either, but if yesterday dropped to 30M I hope you wouldn’t try to tell anyone that it wasn’t disappointing with a straight face.     

Okay and? It's doing $41M on a second Friday. You guys are acting like its free falling. It was expected that demand for a movie that made $357M its OW and had huge Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday would come back to earth a bit.

But this isn't dropping to $30M on Saturday so not sure why that's relevant. If it was gonna do $30M on Saturday or even today then sure I'd get the meltdowns. 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, jaybox said:

Lol y’all gotta calm down. Enjoy the ride. Worst case scenario it’s the second highest grossing movie stateside and highest grossing movie of all time overall. I mean... lol

Not good enough :sparta:

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Okay and? It's doing $41M on a second Friday. You guys are acting like its free falling. It was expected that demand for a movie that made $357M its OW and had huge Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday would come back to earth a bit.

But this isn't dropping to $30M on Saturday so not sure why that's relevant. If it was gonna do $30M on Saturday or even today then sure I'd get the meltdowns. 

If you want to defend 41 on its merits that’s fine. I’d argue that it clearly disappointing but only very slightly.    

My point is that “it’s more than many movies make in their whole run or OW” is a total nothing statement that doesn’t have any real bearing on whether the number is disappointing or not. Bad argument employed toward a generally reasonable overall point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

And for the record, acknowledging that 41 is on the low side and that’s kind of a bummer is very far from having a meltdown.   

I’m just saying there’s no need not to call a spade a spade just because the absolute numbers are big.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, John Marston said:

also , anyone notice how Shazam is performing? If they make a sequel to that they will definitely be adding another hero in there. 

Maybe WB feels foolish for putting more marketing resources for Pikachu than Shazam! right about now :sparta:

25 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Should Endgame come under 150M 2nd weekend, that looks like a too lofty goal more than ever. What really sets TFA apart is its 2nd set of weekdays; Endgame will suffer heavily in direct comparison and a 90M+ 3rd weekend for Endgame is probably also a bit too high.

And lets not act like TFA had bad late legs.

Yeah, but TFAs late legs looked really bad compared to the first 17 days, somewhere on here there should be a list about late legs.

10 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

And for the record, acknowledging that 41 is on the low side and that’s kind of a bummer is very far from having a meltdown.   

I’m just saying there’s no need not to call a spade a spade just because the absolute numbers are big.

I get your point. And I agree, 41M in itself is a great number, but percentage-wise, relatively to this movie, it’s a bad jump.

You’re not having a meltdown but other people clearly were lol.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bleachella said:

On a more serious note, this movie's run has been absolutely mindblowing and I will personally be satisfied with pretty much anything that's over the TFA's second weekend. I'm still rooting for it to pass Avatar ww and TFA dom and as many have pointed out it doesn't even need particularly great legs for that. As amusing this has been I just hope it doesn't suck the air out of all the smaller movies like Long Shot or Pikachu next weekend.

I couldn't get anyone to rewatch Endgame with me so I decided to go by myself, what I usually don't do because (tmi) I have anxiety issues and don't like going to places where there are lots of people and I may have to talk to strangers, but I thought that if you just have to show the ticket on your phone on the door it wouldn't be that bad. Good news: I got a ticket for the sunday! Bad news: because I haven't ordered tickets online before and also because I'm apparently a fucking idiot I accidentally ordered a default option crappy seat in the back corner. You can apparently change your seat but you need to go the theater and ask on the spot. So now I have to go there tomorrow and talk to cashier and explain to them that I'm a dumbass which is pretty much my worst nightmare. Things I will do for this stupid franchise... 😑 I feel like I'm preparing for a battle. Pray for me.

I did it! It was one of the most nerve-racking things I've ever done but I survived! I stumbled over my words (I sometimes stutter when I'm anxious and knowing this of course makes me even more anxious-it's an annoying cycle) and totally embarrassed myself but it could have been much worse. And the cashier I talked with was a nice and really cute girl so this wasn't an all bad experience.:sparta:

I feel legit proud of myself now, I feel like I could do anything lol. Let's hope the friday actuals will be a bit higher than expected, that would be the icing on the cake.

Edited by bleachella
  • Like 5