Nova

Wednesday Numbers | Asgard 1: EndGame 8.4M Wed

3 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Endgame will be in its 10th weekend on June 28th. It will not be on enough screens that weekend or the weekend before or after to have a significant bounce when FFH opens. IW was in 890 theaters in its 10th weekend. Summer competition for screens is far more intense than what Captain Marvel and Black Panther faced in April and May.

I am sure there will be some bounce with double features in drive ins. But impact would be way less than CM bounce with endgame. CM was no: 2 movie when Endgame opened. Endgame probably won’t be in Top 10. Biggest reason is it would have grossed twice the amount of CM at the same point.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

Almost everywhere else DP has way less PLFs. Yours is an outlier.

The only difference between my nearby AMC and the AMC Empire 25 in NYC is that Empire kept Endgame in its prime time Dolby theater for a total of two showings a day instead of one a day in the AMC near me. Those three daytime Dolby showings it lost (at both locations, btw) are going to hit Endgame noticeably. The early morning showing was north of 80% full on Saturday and Sunday last week while the 12pm and 4 pm shows were close to sell outs both days. I suspect the Empire sold out its daytime Dolby showings last weekend. Those are now gone. The impact will be noticeable.

12 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

The only difference between my nearby AMC and the AMC Empire 25 in NYC is that Empire kept Endgame in its prime time Dolby theater for a total of two showings a day instead of one a day in the AMC near me. Those three daytime Dolby showings it lost (at both locations, btw) are going to hit Endgame noticeably. The early morning showing was north of 80% full on Saturday and Sunday last week while the 12pm and 4 pm shows were close to sell outs both days. I suspect the Empire sold out its daytime Dolby showings last weekend. Those are now gone. The impact will be noticeable.

For just your location I agree.

Edited by cdsacken

27 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Far From Home bounce. 

Far From Home bounce. 

Far From Home bounce. 

I said it 3 times. Is that how it works?

11 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Endgame will be in its 10th weekend on June 28th. It will not be on enough screens that weekend or the weekend before or after to have a significant bounce when FFH opens. IW was in 890 theaters in its 10th weekend. Summer competition for screens is far more intense than what Captain Marvel and Black Panther faced in April and May.

👆

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Assuming end game has another 200 million left domestically that means it needs around 300 million internationally to pass Avatar. unless it completely falls off the map I don't see how it doesn't pass it. And the chances of it passing the force awakens are 0%. It just is not going to have the legs to do it. It's not an indictment of the movie it's just that it opened so big which means everybody who wanted to see it rushed out to see it just like they did with deathly Hallows Part 2. Dread it run from it Destiny still arrives all the same.

XJMte7U.gif

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

TFA had good late legs. it had 3x multiplier of a 4 day holiday MLK weekend. That is not bad. What killed its 1B hopes was 4th weekend drop.

Similarly what will kill Endgame’s TFA hopes would be this weekend holds. No way it makes it with mid to late 60’s weekend. Next weekend its losing more of IMax and PLF and almost all of it with Aladdin’s release.

I agree with this analysis. If Endgame is going to make a run at TFA it is going to need something like a 90M weekend. The second weekend hold was decent, but not great. If it had done close to 180M then we'd be looking at a lot more realistic shot at 90M this weekend. Instead, the second weekend drop put it off the pace a bit, the weekdays this week have put it further behind, and a 3rd weekend in the 60-70M range will seal the deal.

That said, it will still do well over 800M domestic and is all but a lock to pass Avatar WW. Odds of a 3B+ WW finish are still quite strong.

2 hours ago, oMeriMombatti said:

The Curse of La Llorona's success has kind of gone under radar. It's about to touch 50M DOM and is already at 105M WW on a 9M budget. Another smashing success in the Conjuring Universe, 6th in a row. The total WW gross of Conjuring Universe is 1.67B on 113M budget.

It isn't part of TCU, please, never associate it to the TCU again, thanks.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Yes it is. Have you seen it?

• Like 2

EXPANDING
29 51 The White Crow Sony Classics 50 +31 +163.2% - - - - 3
30 45 Sunset (2019) Sony Classics 37 +3 +8.8% - - - - 8
> NO CHANGE
1 1 Avengers: Endgame Buena Vista 4,662 - - - - - - 3
3 2 Uglydolls STX Entertainment 3,652 - - - - - - 2
4 3 Long Shot Lionsgate/Summit 3,230 - - - - - - 2
7 8 The Intruder (2019) Sony / Screen Gems 2,222 - - - - - - 2
> DECLINING
8 4 Breakthrough Fox 1,902 -982 -34.0% - - - - 4
9 7 Captain Marvel Buena Vista 1,504 -739 -32.9% - - - - 10
11 5 The Curse of La Llorona Warner Bros. (New Line) 1,182 -1,358 -53.5% - - - - 4
12 6 Shazam! Warner Bros. (New Line) 936 -1,585 -62.9% - - - - 6
13 9 Dumbo (2019) Buena Vista 837 -831 -49.8% - - - - 7
14 10 Little Universal 585 -774 -57.0% - - - - 5
15 13 Pet Sematary (2019) Paramount 304 -351 -53.6% - - - - 6
16 11 Penguins (Disneynature) Buena Vista 285 -767 -72.9% - - - - 4
17 15 Us Universal 264 -335 -55.9% - - - - 8
18 17 Amazing Grace (2019) Neon 260 -3 -1.1% - - - - 23
19 12 Missing Link United Artists Releasing 202 -505 -71.4% - - - - 5
21 18 How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World Universal 185 -60 -24.5% - - - - 12
22 22 Hellboy (2019) Lionsgate/Summit 127 -52 -29.1% - - - - 5
23 19 The Mustang Focus Features 118 -111 -48.5% - - - - 9
24 20 After (2019) Aviron 90 -137 -60.4% - - - - 5
25 31 Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral Lionsgate 89 -9 -9.2% - - - - 11
26 23 Five Feet Apart Lionsgate 87 -66 -43.1% - - - - 9
27 26 The Best of Enemies STX Entertainment 81 -53 -39.6% - - - - 6
28 27 Unplanned Pure Flix 55 -79 -59.0% - - - - 7
32 41 Fighting with My Family MGM 28 -17 -37.8% - - - - 13
33 32 Hotel Mumbai Bleecker Street 25 -69 -73.4% - - - - 8
34 38 Apollo 11 Neon 24 -34 -58.6% - - - - 11
37 64 Fast Color Lionsgate 4 -3 -42.9% - - - - 4

24 minutes ago, sfran43 said:
NEW RELEASES
1 - Pokemon Detective Pikachu Warner Bros. 4,202 - - 1
2 - The Hustle United Artists Releasing 3,007 - - 1
3 - Poms STX Entertainment 2,750 - - 1
4 - Tolkien Fox Searchlight 1,495 - - 1
5 - Student of the Year 2 FIP 190 - - 1
6 - Charlie Says IFC 35 - - 1

Det Pika gets 4202 screens today.

The Avengers: Endgame keeps all of its 4662 screens, good sign going for its third weekend.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/counts/chart/?yr=2019&wk=19&p=.htm

I’m actually pretty surprised to see Endgame keeping all screens here. It played at some art house-y locations that don’t usually play blockbusters, and I’d expected them to return to that stuff after two weeks.

3 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

I’m actually pretty surprised to see Endgame keeping all screens here. It played at some art house-y locations that don’t usually play blockbusters, and I’d expected them to return to that stuff after two weeks.

The art house market this year has been atrocious. There has been nothing that has come close to Thoroughbreds, The Death of Stalin, You Were Never Really Here, First Reformed, RBG or Won’t You Be My Neighbor? all of which were released during the first half of 2018.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Endgame will still be over 4K til Aladdin...it's still multi-screened at pretty much every 8-12 screen theater, so before it would get dropped, it would have to go down to a single screen...

I mean, right now, my local 12s still have it on 3.5 screens each...

And let me expound...there's not a single theater with 2 screens or more (b/c I do have 1 theater with 1 screen) within 25 miles of my house that is not multi-screening Endgame still...even the 2 7's (1 which is an art house) have it on 2 screens each...

I think this is something folks are missing when they say quick drops happen in summer...before you ever get dropped, you are at least single screened...til that happens, you stay around awhile...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Haha I was so confused. I went to TCU (Texas Christian University) and had no clue what you were talking about it.

What kind of drop does it need this weekend to have a chance of kissing Avatar WW? I understand international is still strong but partly because Russia opened up. It has no more markets to open to and DP could break out huge. DP may not take extra screens but it’s going to a lot of people who would otherwise rewatch Endgame. And I think Endgame is largely surviving off rewatches now, which for a 3 hour movie can be a tough decision.

Edited by Pure Spirit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LonePirate said:

The art house market this year has been atrocious. There has been nothing that has come close to Thoroughbreds, The Death of Stalin, You Were Never Really Here, First Reformed, RBG or Won’t You Be My Neighbor? all of which were released during the first half of 2018.

I've seen several films that play in those theaters and most were dead so I can attest to this. The White Crow was barely half full (great movie imo but sloooooowwww)

6 minutes ago, Pure Spirit said:

What kind of drop does it need this weekend to have a chance of kissing Avatar WW? I understand international is still strong but partly because Russia opened up. It has no more markets to open to and DP could break out huge. DP may not take extra screens but it’s going to a lot of people who would otherwise rewatch Endgame. And I think Endgame is largely surviving off rewatches now, which for a 3 hour movie can be a tough decision.

Oh, it's going to do more than kiss it:

d2vk1x6-6ef5dbab-1505-4805-839d-c698f8b7