sfran43

Weekend Thread: Friday Estimates: Pika pi! 20.7m, Assemble! 16.1m, Anne Hathaway! 4m, Cheerleaders: Endgame 1.5m, LotR: Origins 825k

18 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I now think the reason the first Pikachu trailer so huge is that people just wanted to see how the Pokémon would look like in live action. No need to see the whole movie after seeing the trailer 

Honestly not everyone understands why the cute pikachu has Ryan Reynolds’ voice, did not make sense... and it almost deterred me from watching the movie. I am glad I gave it a shot.

But many of my friends, whom are huge pokemon-go or animated series fans, will still give it a miss simply because they find it hard to accept a pikachu with such a voice, and I have a Friend who even said she will not watch it because the design of Charizard looks awful.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TigerPaw said:

Honestly not everyone understands why the cute pikachu has Ryan Reynolds’ voice, did not make sense... and it almost deterred me from watching the movie. I am glad I gave it a shot.

But many of my friends, whom are huge pokemon-go or animated series fans, will still give it a miss simply because they find it hard to accept a pikachu with such a voice, and I have a Friend who even said she will not watch it because the design of Charizard looks awful.

That Charizard design is pretty ugly. Prob worst design in movie too much scales 

I think will be a good Netflix movie for people who don’t wanna pay to watch it but like Pokémon 

• Like 1

As to test screenings, anybody remember the supposed test screening leak that had people running around saying Deadpool 2 was going to be a horrible movie and a bomb? Yeah, how did that turn out again?

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TServo2049 said:

As to test screenings, anybody remember the supposed test screening leak that had people running around saying Deadpool 2 was gonna bomb? Yeah, how did that turn out again?

Sometimes test screenings end up being a good preview to reception.....other times not so much.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

I came back here after seeing Endgame on the first Thursday, so I didn’t see that back in March. Was that a serious prediction? Really?

Lots of super optimistic predictions for Pikachu early on. I for one thought a huge surprise like Deadpool1 or IT was possible. When pro.Bo had the 90 ow forecast felt that it would only grow from that number. But post AEG's release things cooled off a lot personally. Still was hoping for 75-80+ with 3x+ legs.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, TServo2049 said:

As to test screenings, anybody remember the supposed test screening leak that had people running around saying Deadpool 2 was going to be a horrible movie and a bomb? Yeah, how did that turn out again?

It's why I always say don't listen to test screenings. There are several instances in which the opposite of what's been said about the quality of a movie happens. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nova said:

It's why I always say don't listen to test screenings. There are several instances in which the opposite of what's been said about the quality of a movie happens. 

For me personally. If I was doing screen test for detective pikachu I would have gave a good ass mark too.

i enjoyed the movie a ton but the demographics  they choose for the people in it are flawed

• Like 1

The thing i hope is that whatever gross it gets, that Warner Bros sees this movie as a base rather than cancel whatever plans they may have. 

I did like the movie and i'd hate to see this being the last live action pokemon movie for a long while.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

Just now, Jonwo said:

I think Warner Bros and Legendary will do a more traditional Pokemon movie rather than a Detective Pikachu sequel.

Hope so. This feels like a spin-off off a mainline series that doesn't exist.

This movie like if Ant man was start the of MCU not the first ironman 

its so so light hearted and comedy 

honestly they need forget about kids. My showing it was 80% adults. Make it edgier even if it’s pg13

Edited by Minnale101

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

I predicted about a month or two ago that Endgame would suffer the DH2 effect, where it would be a critically acclaimed film that would nonetheless be very front loaded. Looks like I was on to something, given that the movie is now falling behind TFA, despite having a significantly (and I do mean significantly) higher OW. They called me a mad man...

With a 40% increase giver or take in total box office over the first. Oddly enough it should be similar.

9 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Warner Bros and Legendary will do a more traditional Pokemon movie rather than a Detective Pikachu sequel. 

They need to stop making hybrid undefined films that don't fit into any particular demographic age wise. Define your audience and market to that.

I wonder if there is any more updates on Saturday?  Wondering if Endgame is keeping steady with 62 or it will continue to drop more ,even going sub 60 which would be something if i wouldn't think is possible.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21

I low-key hope that Dark Phoenix is good, if only because of more than a year of scooper dudebros touting it as the coming of Lucifer due to test screenings

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1