sfran43

Weekend Thread: Weekend Actuals - John Wick: Chapter 3 $56.82M | Avengers Endgame $29.97M | Detective Pikachu $25.10M

21 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'll be curious to see how the Rocketman sneaks do tomorrow. I imagine it'll help build buzz for the movie.

I went to buy tickets this afternoon at the one theatre in town playing the preview (not sure why Cineplex isn't playing it), and both the 7pm and the 7:05pm were sold out. Clearly the 7:05 was added due to demand. Anyways, I know it's anecdotal, but seems like a good omen to me. I really had wanted to see this tomorrow night though :( 

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

I will do a better count in 3 hours.

So with this number, is Babayega on track for 60?

1 minute ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Wow, Endgame actually not *that* far off from Deadline's 8 million. Could fall somewhere in between like 7.7. 

Using Charlie's number though;

Fri - 7.5

Sat - 13.1 (+75%, last weekend 70%)

Sun - 9.7 (-26%, last weekend -29%)*holiday in Canada this Sunday 

30.3 weekend total

Pika is expected, should recover well enough over the weekend. 

John Wick is awesome. Anything over 50 million debut is magnificent in my books considering 2nd one opened to 30 million. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

If these numbers hold, would be really good for, John Wick and Endgame. Meh for Pika. Certainly won’t hit 24 million with 5.7 Friday. 

Happy to see John Wick 3 kicking all kinds of ass. I knew it still had room to grow after the second film's huge jump over the first one, but the numbers being bandied about are definitely bigger than I was expecting.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, VanillaSkies said:

Wow, Endgame actually not *that* far off from Deadline's 8 million. Could fall somewhere in between like 7.7. 

Using Charlie's number though;

Fri - 7.5

Sat - 13.1 (+75%, last weekend 70%)

Sun - 9.7 (-26%, last weekend -29%)*holiday in Canada this Sunday 

30.3 weekend total

Pika is expected, should recover well enough over the weekend. 

John Wick is awesome. Anything over 50 million debut is magnificent in my books considering 2nd one opened to 30 million. 

That seems reasonable for Endgame.

55 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Sorry to Brainbug in advance but I think JW3's going to have a JP3-tier drop.

JP2 to JP3 drop will give JW3 325+ dom. Frankly will take that. It's 50% of JW1 but could still be 2x the prod budget. I think it will fall bigger and still let JW3 be highly profitable.

If you give OS-China, Dom and China the same drops from JW2 that JW2 had from JW1, you get approx -

500 OS-China (vs 630 of JW2 and 791 of JW1)

+ 270 Dom (vs 418 of JW2 and 652 of JW1)

+ 300 China (vs 261 of JW2 and 228 of JW1) = 1070 ww

That could be end up 5-6x the prod budget with Dom itself going well above the prod budget. Nothing like JW1 or even JW2's margins but still ending on a positive note. Feel it's drop will be tempered though and with right marketing campaign and good reception could challenge JW2's ww even if it takes one exploding market like China to do so.

1 minute ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I am being a bit optimistic on JW3 as pre-sales are very good for the film. Could go a bit lower and considering the numbers were higher due to PS, Deadline going high make sense.

Thanks. Its not the 25m prediction but the statement that it could go higher had everyone excited. They almost made it sound like a conservative projection.