sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

11 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Olivia Wilde is boxoffice poison behind and and in front of the camera now. There is no audience theatrically for movies like booksmart anymore. Teens just watch netflix and only see silly cbm in cinemas.

Annapurna is box office poison, not Olivia Wilde. This movie could have easily opened to 15 mil+ if a company that actually knew how to market and distribute films handled that stuff.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, justvision said:

I don't think that era is coming back. There are 2 paradigm shifts:

1) Internet becoming more prevalent and the increasing influence of social media will accelerate communication, heighten hype, ease the spread of WOM, and assert more peer pressure etc.

2) More sequels being made, and more blockbusters hyping "avoid spoilers".

Thus going forward movies (especially blockbusters) are likely getting more front-loaded and hence less leggy.

Nailed it. The era tawasal longs for is dead and dusted. Rather than reverse, the front loading trends will only continue.

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Annapurna is box office poison, not Olivia Wilde. This movie could have easily opened to 15 mil+ if a company that actually knew how to market and distribute films handled that stuff.

both are box office poison , probably a limited release to build wom might have been better. i doubt a major studio spending double on marketing just for 15m would be that great either unless it had legs like Five Feet Apart earlier this year

6 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

both are box office poison , probably a limited release to build wom might have been better. i doubt a major studio spending double on marketing just for 15m would be that great either unless it had legs like Five Feet Apart earlier this year

A 3x multiplier with 15 mil opening would be a decent success I guess. A major studio won't spend more on marketing, they would just market it more efficiently. Annapurna just doesn't know how to market. They spent a shitton of money on marketing Vice but that flopped.

Based on the trailers, Booksmart reminded me of Superbad. Don’t know how similar it actually is, but they’re both R-rated high school comedies. Maybe they started promoting it late. Didn’t even know it existed till a couple of weeks ago. Definitely would’ve done better with WB or Sony. 

2 hours ago, Minnale101 said:

Just realized the guy who plays Aladdin is from Markham 

now I hope movie does even more amazing ☺️

GTA repping 

No one knows where Markham is. Just say he's from Toronto. 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, Ryan Reynolds said:

i don't think its that high, but this website claims it, hard to see why it would cost more than 10m

https://bestmoviecast.com/booksmart-2019-cast-release-date-plot-budget-box-office/

Yeah without a better source I doubt it. They made Brightburn which has extensive CGI and Sci-Fi/horror elements for apparently 6 million, no way this indie comedy is 19 million.

Booksmart is frontloaded because of all the hardcore Kaitlyn Dever fanboys, duh.    

As for Deadline, they’ve thrown in the towel because they get too comprehensively scooped by Asgard 3. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Friday Estimates

Aladdin 32

John Wick 6.7

Endgame 4.15

PDP 3.3

Brightburn 2.9

Booksmart 1.65 (True Friday, I don't recall previews)

7m Previews

25m Friday (so a slightly higher Previews-OD-multi than Pirates 5)

27.5m Saturday (if it follows Pirates true Friday increase of 10%)

25.8m Sunday (-6.2% like Pirates 5)

20.95m Monday (-18.8% like Pirates 5)

Would be a 85m 3-day and a 106m 4-day...