sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

Expected for Booksmart unfortunately but it'll likely find a big following when it comes out for home viewing. Teen movies just can't really breakout anymore on the big screen. Brightburn also landed about where I thought it would

Aladdin is locked for $100M+ over the 4-day and possibly even $110M+ too depending on how it plays through the rest of the weekend. Feels like Aquaman all over again where everyone underestimated the appeal about how big it could be as long as it was at least a half-decent movie.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I’ll likely be seeing Aladdin over the weekend. For those who have saw it, is it better than the POS Beauty and The Beast?

Yes, but that's not exactly saying much. I did a gigantic review of the movie in the previous page of this thread. It's better than BATB, based on casting, soundtrack and addition of interesting layers on top of the original story. That being said, it suffers from a lot of the same problems, and creates other ones like being more incohesive from a narrative perspective (even if the attempts at not doing everything shot-for-shot are commendable) and falling way short of even recreating the look of the original, which the BATB remake somewhat accomplished. @That One Guy nailed it when he said that this being a Guy Ritchie movie is something you couldn't tell, because this film has virtually no sense of style and wonder.

I dunno if I'd go as far as to say that these remakes are worse than the Bayformers sequels, though. They may be bland and have no vision, but at least they're not maddening storytelling disasters with virtually no redeeming qualities. Being "so bad it's good" doesn't make you good. It just makes your shortcomings enjoyable to watch. But pure quality-wise, I'll take even Maleficent over some of the Transformers movies in a heartbeat.

Edited by MCKillswitch123

33 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I just always thought it would be at least $1bn until the trailer dropped. 

Oh yeah it really have the potential for that, but sadly everything went wrong... from production problems, reshoots and backlash because of whitewashing to atrocious marketing campaign, strong hate online and low tracking

Almost everyone buried this movie because of that, so considering all those things it's really impressive how the movie still manages to be succeed... could be bigger, but it's definitely a hit 

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I can envision Godzilla being to Aladdin what Maleficent was to X-Men five years ago. 

Rocketman is a wildcard but having seen the film, I hope it does well. 

FWIW Rocketman is selling really well for next weekend around here (better than Godzilla, even). I doubt it's going below $25M at a minimum.

Jurassic World had a mediocre RT score (around 70%) but the public WOM was great. Thus is made a killing through the weekend. Aladdin could stay rather steady and then do well for the next couple of weekends. If Pets2 mania doesn't really kick into high gear, Aladdin could do pretty well for its first 4 weekends (until the inevitable TS4 craziness ensues).

It has the potential for a 2.8-3.0 multiplier if WOM continues to be good. BatB had that without a holiday and with a higher OW.

booksmart is another one that might've actually been a big deal if it had gone straight to netflix. the laziest teen movies seem to blow up there, i can't imagine how well it would go if they actually had a good one.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Jurassic World had a mediocre RT score (around 70%) but the public WOM was great. Thus is made a killing through the weekend. Aladdin could stay rather steady and then do well for the next couple of weekends. If Pets2 mania doesn't really kick into high gear, Aladdin could do pretty well for its first 4 weekends (until the inevitable TS4 craziness ensues).

It has the potential for a 2.8-3.0 multiplier if WOM continues to be good. BatB had that without a holiday and with a higher OW.

A 3.0 multiplier for a Memorial Day opener wouldn’t happen. 2.8 doesn’t usually happen either. 

MIB3 was the best in the last seven years and that was 2.59x 

The big openers have had really shocking legs: Solo, Pirates, XMen, Fast and Furious all between a 2 and a 2.1x

I’m glad and happy for Aladdin not only because it gross much better than expected after those atrocious trailer , marketing and Weird Genie drama but also because audiences after all of that loved it. Very very few movie with all those problems succeed to overcome it and became successful in both terms of business and quality.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

booksmart is another one that might've actually been a big deal if it had gone straight to netflix. the laziest teen movies seem to blow up there, i can't imagine how well it would go if they actually had a good one.

ugh Netflix. NO. ive just watched a horrible Netflix movie The Perfection. So bad. Good movies need not to mix up with dreadful Netflix

Edited by Alli

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

ugh Netflix. NO. ive just watched a horrible Netflix movie The Perfection. So bad. Good movies need not to mix up with dreadful Netflix

meh they've got good and bad movies like any studio. i guess because they put out so many movies the ratio is a little off.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

A 3.0 multiplier for a Memorial Day opener wouldn’t happen. 2.8 doesn’t usually happen either. 

MIB3 was the best in the last seven years and that was 2.59x 

The big openers have had really shocking legs: Solo, Pirates, XMen, Fast and Furious all between a 2 and a 2.1x

I'm talking about the multiplier from the 3-day opening, NOT the 4-day opening. Compare apples to apples. It's ridiculous to compare multipliers for 3-day weekends to 4-day weekends just because there is a holiday. If that is the case, then a 2.3 multiplier for Aladdin's 4-day will get it to over $250 million. 

Edited by jedijake

44 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

It's apparently going to be Rob Marshall.

They gonna need a lot of CGI considering 50% of Little Mermaid takes place underwater so until Ariel reaches the surface, we could potentially have a fully digital photoreal mermaid (if they go that direction) amongst other things. Ursula has to be CGI

Oh, dear fucking Christ.

Why the hell does Disney keep giving this guy a fucking job? Pirates 4 was GODAWFUL. Terrible. And I haven't seen Mary Poppins Returns yet, but most accounts of it aren't highly positive, the film failed to get anywhere near major awards attention after all of the buzz, and it was one of the most overpredicted movies in box office history despite the fact that it literally had EVERYTHING in its wake to be a juggernaut. The only worse choice than him would be Bill Condon again, and even then, the BATB remake was at least better than On Stranger Tides.

You want a Little Mermaid remake, Disney? Get Stephen Chow to do it. He already did a semi-remake of it in 2016 and it was a gigantic hit. It'd do insane business in China. And the guy is known for colorful and hilarious comedy. It's a perfect match. If not him, you could hire James Wan, Gore Verbinski, Andrew Stanton.... there's so many directors with hands-on experience in water-related blockbusters, so why Rob Marshall again? Because Little Mermaid is a musical? Who fucking cares, the Cinderella and Jungle Book remakes weren't musicals either and they were good. And name a single song from The Little Mermaid that isn't Under The Sea. Yeah, that's right, no one can do that. So who cares. Fuck, even re-hiring the original directors, John Musker and Ron Clements, would be a better idea if you're just going for another shot-for-shot remake.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1