sfran43

Memorial Weekend Thread: 4-Day Actuals - Aladdin $116.81M | John Wick 3 $30.97M | Avengers Endgame $22.06M | Pokemon DP $17.25M

Just now, Krissykins said:

I would remove the UK from the list. It’s had horrific weekend drops here and it made £1.2m over the holiday weekend. 

Wait, what this means in dollars? IW had a $1.6m US dollars Weekend last year.

4 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yep. If the CS and RT audience scores didn't already prove it, then the unprecedented Sunday and Monday holds for this weekend sure did. 

RT verified idea is good. However it limits things to American audiences only, which is a shame. 

They need to ditch the fandango angle and go from cinema ticket barcodes or something. 

On letterboxd, which seems to have less trolling than IMDB, it’s at a 3.2/5. IMDb is a 7.1

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I would remove the UK from the list. It’s had horrific weekend drops here and it made £1.2m over the holiday weekend. 

Well okay then just those 3 other countries 

Godzilla should be decent in japan and Korea. 

Its gonna take another big hit this weekend 

making 2.7 billion is amazing feat and should be disappointed at.

50 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

yeah rotten is not bad. 58% of critics liked it. bad critical reception would be like less than 40%. 

to treat movies simply as rotten or fresh without looking at the actual approval rating and and what the critics are saying is too much of an extreme. 

Alita and Aquaman RT % was 60% and 65% respectively which is slightly higher than Aladdin yet people called their overall critical reception decent instead of straight up bad or biased.

Rotten is bad, imo. 60 is bad too, you’r ethe first person I’ve seen suggest otherwise. 65 I guess you could describe as being on the low end of medium, but... that’s less than 2 out of 3 critics giving it a fresh review. It’s only “decent” compared to expectations of 20-40 (where 75% of the recent movies in that universe had landed).

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

RT verified idea is good. However it limits things to American audiences only, which is a shame. 

They need to ditch the fandango angle and go from cinema ticket barcodes or something. 

On letterboxd, which seems to have less trolling than IMDB, it’s at a 3.2/5. IMDb is a 7.1

RT still has all audience, either way you slice it the score is amazing. IMDB is at 7.4 and keeps going up. Letteboxd is completely irrelevant, no one in the casual GA knows it exists. There is no way this movie isn't being eaten up by the GA, it has everything a summer crowd pleaser needs. We've never even had a movie that grossed anything significant increase on MD Sunday, that alone proves the WOM. Bruce Almighty should be a good comp going forward, I'd argue it's the last notable MD opener with exceptional WOM. That had a 3.6x multi. I'd be predicting even better for Aladdin if not for SLOP and TS4. 

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Well, it is not awful either. Close enough to IW, let’s see what’s the actuals tell us later today.

IW made $1.6m for the 3 day. Endgame was $1.5m for the 4 day. 

Plus, Endgame opened $14.5m higher. To be below by 5th weekend shows how quickly it’s dropped here. 

The overall UK multiplier will be lucky to reach a 2.02x 

• ...wtf 1

Aladdin is playing really well with audiences in other countries too. Had 98% on one of the audience metrics in South Korea and that grew from ~96% iirc. Apparently musicals do well there and in some other Asian countries. It’ll face Paradise coming up though. 

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

IW made $1.6m for the 3 day. Endgame was $1.5m for the 4 day. 

Plus, Endgame opened $14.5m higher. To be below by 5th weekend shows how quickly it’s dropped here. 

The overall UK multiplier will be lucky to reach a 2.02x 

It is not really about how much it opened to where it is now. If it follows close to Infinity War with other territories compensating, that’s still good enough. Infinity War made more $56m from OS-C after this Memorial Weekend. If the actuals tell us that it’s still above, what tells us is that it does have a fighting chance of doing at least more $50m OS-C. That’s way above what any are projecting now because we are going under the assumption that competition will completely obliterate later legs. I don’t think so.

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It is not really about how much it opened to where it is now. If it follows close to Infinity War with other territories compensating, that’s still good enough. Infinity War made more $56m from OS-C after this Memorial Weekend. If the actuals tell us that it’s still above, what tells us is that it does have a fighting chance of doing at least more $50m OS-C. That’s way above what any are projecting now because we are going under the assumption that competition will completely obliterate later legs. I don’t think so.

Didn’t infinity war release 2 weeks after in China and the China run was still going on in same time frame 

endgame China run is done 

1 minute ago, Minnale101 said:

Didn’t infinity war release 2 weeks after in China and the China run was still going on in same time frame 

Plus I think IW got an extension. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

That’s what I am saying. I am taking China under consideration. If you remove China, OS-C this weekend was still above IW if the estimates hold:

I don’t have in hand, but it was $14.4m for OS-C. OS-C still pulled more $56m after this weekend.

EDIT: Here you go:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&view=byweekend&wk=2018W21&id=marvel0518.htm

OS-C this weekend was $14.463.048 for Infinity War. If the OS-C estimates for Endgame hold, that is still above what IW did in the same period of time. Infinity War went to make more $56.5m OS-C, and $43.5m from China from this weekend forward.  

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Deja23 said:

Plus I think IW got an extension. 

And solo os and domestic crashed after the Memorial Day weekend. Which gave infinity war some extra legs 

aladdin seems like its gonna have amazing legs 

so I wouldn’t compare endgame and infinity war last legs 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Rotten is bad, imo. 60 is bad too, you’r ethe first person I’ve seen suggest otherwise. 65 I guess you could describe as being on the low end of medium, but... that’s less than 2 out of 3 critics giving it a fresh review. It’s only “decent” compared to expectations of 20-40 (where 75% of the recent movies in that universe had landed).

58% is still the majority liking it.  It's mixed not bad.

What separates 58% from 65% is pretty negligible.  Most tend to have review averages in the 5.8-6 range. 

Aladdin has a higher top critic rating (52% & 5.83/10) and avg than AQM (47% & 5.23/10), Pikachu  (44% & 5.45/10) % Alita (34% & 5.63/10) - quitte a disparity in %s but all in the 5s - while their overall avgs ranges from 5.83-6.02 and their overall % ranges from 58%-65%

When a movie straddles that 6/10 reviews it's % can be a wide range.  Look at Jumanji - it's overall avg is 6.2  but just under 6 with top critics.  It's RT % is a certified fresh 76%.    But I'd be hard pressed to say that a .27 higher avg overall and .14 among top critics means it has good reviews as  opposed to the "bad" reviews  of Aladdin.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Minnale101 said:

And solo os and domestic crashed after the Memorial Day weekend. Which gave infinity war some extra legs 

aladdin seems like its gonna have amazing legs 

so I wouldn’t compare endgame and infinity war last legs 

Endgame is too further along in into its release schedule to be truly affected by the new releases, imho. It’s not far fetched that it will behave like IW from this point forward.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

58% is still the majority liking it.  It's mixed not bad.

What separates 58% from 65% is pretty negligible.  Most tend to have review averages in the 5.8-6 range. 

Aladdin has a higher top critic rating (52% & 5.83/10) and avg than AQM (47% & 5.23/10), Pikachu  (44% & 5.45/10) % Alita (34% & 5.63/10) - quitte a disparity in %s but all in the 5s - while their overall avgs ranges from 5.83-6.02 and their overall % ranges from 58%-65%

When a movie straddles that 6/10 reviews it's % can be a wide range.  Look at Jumanji - it's overall avg is 6.2  but just under 6 with top critics.  It's RT % is a certified fresh 76%.    But I'd be hard pressed to say that a .27 higher avg overall and .14 among top critics means it has good reviews as  opposed to the "bad" reviews  of Aladdin.

This.

16 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

That’s what I am saying. I am taking China under consideration. If you remove China, OS-C this weekend was still above IW if the estimates hold:

I don’t have in hand, but it was $14.4m for OS-C. OS-C still pulled more $56m after this weekend.

EDIT: Here you go:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&view=byweekend&wk=2018W21&id=marvel0518.htm

OS-C this weekend was $14.463.048 for Infinity War. If the OS-C estimates for Endgame hold, that is still above what IW did in the same period of time. Infinity War went to make more $56.5m OS-C, and $43.5m from China from this weekend forward.  

EG estimate is up to 16.3M per Deadline.

• Astonished 1