charlie Jatinder

Wednesday (5/30) Numbers

4 hours ago, narniadis said:

@That One Guy we have a site that has gained a bunch of new "know nothings." Probably best to not engage their rantings. 

I feel like we have lost a ton of regular active knowledgeable members over the past year or so. 

Where have you been all these years? I have never seen you anywhere but you have such an average face and personality i would forget you in 17seconds so i guess its cool to be angry while missplaced like you....people get hooked on bot because they have nothing to do instead of checking out numbers... but instead of moving on they keep on reading and reading etc...extrapolating each and every day instead of waiting for the actuals... type where it matters.. come for the numbers.. 

TTVOMJ

• Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 5

5 hours ago, narniadis said:

@That One Guy we have a site that has gained a bunch of new "know nothings." Probably best to not engage their rantings. 

I feel like we have lost a ton of regular active knowledgeable members over the past year or so. 

The influx of new users has been great for the site. I think it was probably spurred on quite a lot by Endgame, but the more the merrier I say! 

You're not suggesting keeping people out are you narn? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think for new people like myself. It might take few movies to get used how to absorb box office numbers and trends 

which the older people do fantastic job at 

hopefully by the time bigger films release. People will be more level headed 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Actuals

Aladdin $7.45mn

JW 3 $2.2m 

EG $1.3mn

This is last daily update till June 10th.

Thanks man and good luck with everything. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Minnale101 said:

I think for new people like myself. It might take few movies to get used how to absorb box office numbers and trends 

which the older people do fantastic job at 

hopefully by the time bigger films release. People will be more level headed 

Ignore the bitter 'old' users. We can only learn by making mistakes and experience. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Actuals

Aladdin $7.45mn

JW 3 $2.2m 

EG $1.3mn

This is last daily update till June 10th.

Why??:'( you are THE main reason i am here... someone mentioned you someplace.. hope you are off to a vacation xD

Presales thread is also nice, but a bit less usefull since its just threading thru muddy waters(except for unimpactful entries) with enormous effort(thank you everyone for doing it)..

..and thank YOU mr. CJ

TTVOMJ

Edited by Maximum Avery
Typos

14 minutes ago, Maximum Avery said:

Why??:'( you are THE main reason i am here... someone mentioned you someplace.. hope you are off to a vacation xD

Presales thread is also nice, but a bit less usefull since its just threading thru muddy waters(except for unimpactful entries) with enormous effort(thank you everyone for doing it)..

..and thank YOU mr. CJ

TTVOMJ

IINM he has an exam to pass.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Ignore the bitter 'old' users. We can only learn by making mistakes and experience. 

We're not all bitter old members.

• Like 10

Charlie has exams and such.

thank you so much Charlie for everything you've done for us and good luck with everything and we look forward to having you back as soon as possible.

• Like 11

OK numbers across the board. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I'd be happy if Aladdin does 44-45M this weekend. That would be a good target, especially losing the IMAX screens.

I'm thinking something like this

Thur - 6.8 (-10%)

Fri - 12.6 (+85%)

Sat - 18.5 (+47%)

Sun - 13.3 (-28%)

187.5 through Sunday.

Also, good luck to Charlie on his exams.

32 minutes ago, baumer said:

Charlie has exams and such.

thank you so much Charlie for everything you've done for us and good luck with everything and we look forward to having you back as soon as possible.

I know that boomer, I was just pointing out some of them are. 

• Like 2

Clearly I missed something with Frozen, I mean I can only assume it's just because I'm older, or maybe it was more chick-centered love, because I love most Pixar movies, Wreck it Ralph, etc. but man that movie was so mediocre. I think it's a compliment to call it mediocre, frankly, I'm not sure it was that good. 

Aladdin I liked a lot more than I expected, I have those dang songs stuck in my head all week, which is unbelievable because it's not like I didn't know those songs from my childhood or something but they won't go away. I'd see the movie again if I wasn't so busy, but with Godzilla coming out that I want to see, and I still wouldn't mind checking out Brightburn despite the crash and burn (excuse the pun lol). I guess my expectations for Aladdin weren't that high, but I really liked the trailer and thought immediately, "Alright, that's a live action Disney movie that I am kind of excited about," but even so, I didn't expect that much. Maybe that made me more impressed, who knows. 

11 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Clearly I missed something with Frozen, I mean I can only assume it's just because I'm older, or maybe it was more chick-centered love, because I love most Pixar movies, Wreck it Ralph, etc. but man that movie was so mediocre. I think it's a compliment to call it mediocre, frankly, I'm not sure it was that good. 

Aladdin I liked a lot more than I expected, I have those dang songs stuck in my head all week, which is unbelievable because it's not like I didn't know those songs from my childhood or something but they won't go away. I'd see the movie again if I wasn't so busy, but with Godzilla coming out that I want to see, and I still wouldn't mind checking out Brightburn despite the crash and burn (excuse the pun lol). I guess my expectations for Aladdin weren't that high, but I really liked the trailer and thought immediately, "Alright, that's a live action Disney movie that I am kind of excited about," but even so, I didn't expect that much. Maybe that made me more impressed, who knows. 

Frozen has that something which every storytelling medium wants-heart. Anna is adorably innocent, elsa is fierce and relatable for anti demo, olaf is a merchendise package, sven, trolls, cristof and the rest fit in nicely and dont take away from the story that really glides... and lets not forget(altho i would seriously want to xD) let it go... i remember 2 months before the movie came out i couldnt get rid of the damn song from my head(it was released prior to the movie).. just imagine how i felt 6 months later when it was performed on oscars xD awesome song and worthy of an academy award

TTVOMJ

9 hours ago, narniadis said:

As a reminder to all those that blatantly ignore actual data. 

Movies in weekend #2 face the difficulty of no previews adding grosses to the weekend. 

Secondly, for holiday weekend openers, especially Memorial Day, they will NOT have the same Sunday holds which add to their overall fall. 

This is not being stupid, ignorant or unwilling to consider word of mouth. It is being honest and upholding the data that exists every time these dates come around. 

Would love to see Aladdin do 50+ but realistically 45m would be amazing. 

To add to this post...

With 3 large openers this weekend, it's not just that Aladdin faces them taking customers, but it also faces actually losing SEATS and SHOWINGS.  It's unusual for a large opener to do so, but if you look at your local theaters this weekend vs what they were last weekend, you will see a large % are not just kicking Aladdin out of the pricier showings, but are actually downgrading its theaters and its showings.

In the tracking thread, I mentioned this...but let me give an example here.

One of my locals dropped from 14 to 12 showings.  Okay, not a huge drop, although not the norm if we didn't have a packed weekend coming.,  But worse for the movie, it also dropped from the 185 (7 showings) and 125 seat theaters (7 showings) to 2 60 seat theaters (12 showings).  So, at just one theater (which did great last weekend), you drop from 2170 possible daily weekend seats to 720 possible daily weekend seats.  So, before you even start the weekend, you are looking at a single theater drop of 66% available revenue.  NOW, this is something the small to midsize theaters will be doing this weekend, not the large ones, b/c they can probably hold Aladdin on equivalent seats b/c they have a lot of room.  But, even if it's just in theaters of this size, it's gonna play as a major impact on the weekend.  It makes holds like $60M virtually impossible unless A - Aladdin left a lot of seats open last weekend (and they probably did Friday, so there's a chance that in schools out areas it can make up on Friday with full sellouts all day) and B - it sells out so much that these small and midsize try to scratch other showings of movies (which they do, but not usually when we have 3 openers who also might need a scratched showing b/c they are also popular)..,.that's a lot to go right...

Not saying it can't happen, but the weekend sets make it very unlikely...but they can still change if the openers look truly horrendous (but I don't think they are right now)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, looking at the charts the top 2 2nd weekends of MD openers are Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull that had a 44.7 2nd weekend and POTC At World's End which had a 44.2 second weekend.

Both opened higher than Aladdin on MD weekend but both have been below Aladdin Tues and Wed. 

This weekend really should be one of the more interesting ones to follow with 3 wide new openers and one of the best MD openers.