sfran43

Monday Numbers: #1 Aladdin $4.70M | Godzilla KOTM $3.85M | Rocketman $2.37M | MA $1.67M | JW3 $1.29M

10 minutes ago, sfran43 said:

bigger Monday # than Shazam which was hit hard by EG but 25-day for both films was about 131M~ at this point. I doubt Pikachu makes much more than 145M with all the competition coming near it in the weeks to come.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Summer days kicking in. This is to expected.

Exactly, plus its demos skew older than those of DP and Shazam!

Still, I'll take tiny sliver of solace in the fact that its Sun-Mon drop was on par with that of Rocketman

2 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

bigger Monday # than Shazam which was hit hard by EG but 25-day for both films was about 131M~ at this point. I doubt Pikachu makes much more than 145M with all the competition coming near it in the weeks to come.

Check out Xmen first class, DP is playing very similarly (Xmen day 25 monday was higher (though it was later in July) and it was running about 2m higher as well, so about 145m is probably the ceiling for DP

Again, this has just been a really competitive May/early June. DP started in the vacuum left by AEG and will end in the midst of one or two tentpoles releasing every week. A more accomodating release date and normal international exchange rates, DP could have easily been a 500m-550m grosser. WB will definitely take this into account when thinking about sequels

3 minutes ago, Justin4125 said:

Check out Xmen first class, DP is playing very similarly

My immediate thought was: how do you know how Dark Phoenix is playing already?

Because that's the obvious DP when comparing to First Class.

Took me a few seconds to figure out what you meant.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kitik said:

My immediate thought was: how do you know how Dark Phoenix is playing already?

Because that's the obvious DP when comparing to First Class.

Took me a few seconds to figure out what you meant.

Deadpool, obviously. 😏

This is why we should never cross the streams.

Movie Distributor Gross Change Thtrs. Per Thtr. Total Gross Days
- (2) Godzilla: King of the Monsters Warner Bros. $3,850,000 -68% 4,108 $937   $51,626,293 4
- (7) Pokémon: Detective Pikachu Warner Bros. $755,000 -66% 3,147 $240   $131,645,093 25
- (9) BrightBurn Sony Pictures $357,000 -53% 2,607 $137   $14,710,235 11
- (12) The Intruder Sony Pictures $105,000 -51% 807 $130   $34,303,002 32
- (-) The Souvenir A24 $14,425 -65% 74 $195   $474,661 18
- (-) Unplanned Pure Flix Entertain… $1,511 -22% 27 $56   $18,102,106 67
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, a2k said:

GZ14 dropped 66% for 7.67 Mon. KOTM is exactly 50% of it.

I mean it was close to half that film's opening weekend so all of that checks out. And then you remember what kind of legs that film had and OUCH is all one can say about King of the Monsters' prospects as far as box office staying power goes.

Edited by AlexMA

1 hour ago, Justin4125 said:

Check out Xmen first class, DP is playing very similarly (Xmen day 25 monday was higher (though it was later in July) and it was running about 2m higher as well, so about 145m is probably the ceiling for DP

Again, this has just been a really competitive May/early June. DP started in the vacuum left by AEG and will end in the midst of one or two tentpoles releasing every week. A more accomodating release date and normal international exchange rates, DP could have easily been a 500m-550m grosser. WB will definitely take this into account when thinking about sequels

They already have the sequel written and special effects team returning.

All things considered DP has done good IMO. Today it'll become the highest grossing video game film of all time. 

It had massive competition from get go and the competition was the 2nd highest grossing film of all time. Which even when DP came out theaters chose to show EG consistently whereas Pika would get solely matinees which clearly effected it's box office. Pika also did not have the benefit of IMAX like every other big blockbuster releasing in May.

Hopefully for the future pokemon movies they change that.

9 minutes ago, Cappoedameron said:

They already have the sequel written and special effects team returning.

All things considered DP has done good IMO. Today it'll become the highest grossing video game film of all time. 

It had massive competition from get go and the competition was the 2nd highest grossing film of all time. Which even when DP came out theaters chose to show EG consistently whereas Pika would get solely matinees which clearly effected it's box office. Pika also did not have the benefit of IMAX like every other big blockbuster releasing in May.

Hopefully for the future pokemon movies they change that.

When theatres choose to show one movie over another, it is usually because they anticipate the movie that they're showing to perform better than the one they aren't showing. It's not like Pikachu would have done insanely better if it had been given IMAX etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1