sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Also looks to become Illumination's first title to miss $200M aside from Hop (which doesn't fully count since it was a hybrid). Sign of waning power, perhaps.

Been saying this for months but Minions 2 is definitely next for a big drop, it screams IA5/Pets 2/LM2, and Sing 2 is also in danger. 

I think Illumination is better at selling originals rather than sequels as most of their films don't have good shelf life which the sequels to behave like this. Mario and whatever PW has will rebound though.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

Also Illumination have 2 more sequels on their plate for release in the next 2 years with Sing 2 and Minions 2. They really need fresh idea and they are good at selling new movies instead of sequels, why don't they just stick to that instead of all their future releases been sequels.   

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, tawasal said:

Also Illumination have 2 more sequels on their plate for release in the next 2 years with Sing 2 and Minions 2. They really need fresh idea and they are good at selling new movies instead of sequels, why don't they just stick to that instead of all their future releases been sequels.   

Although they may have been bigger then DWA in it's heyday, a lot more of DWA's originals had better shelf life thanks to home video and quality which allowed their sequels have decent holds, up or down. Mario and Pharrell Williams film will be big but I think Minions 2 is definitely going under $200M and Sing 2 might as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Been saying this for months but Minions 2 is definitely next for a big drop, it screams IA5/Pets 2/LM2, and Sing 2 is also in danger. 

I think Illumination is better at selling originals rather than sequels as most of their films don't have good shelf life which the sequels to behave like this. Mario and whatever PW has will rebound though.

GIF by The Secret Life Of Pets

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Although they may have been bigger then DWA in it's heyday, a lot more of DWA's originals had better shelf life thanks to home video and quality which allowed their sequels have decent holds, up or down. Mario and Pharrell Williams film will be big but I think Minions 2 is definitely going under $200M and Sing 2 might as well.

Also you can't/don't really care that much for their characters other than Gru for a sequel to be in demand. In pixar or DWA you are invested in their characters.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

They might be good at selling originals, but had they realized that they should have followed early Pixar strategy, where Toy Story movies, Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, Incredibles, Cars, Ratatouille, Wall-e, and UP came out in quick succession before they dig into the sequel business, by which time all of the sequels (TS3, Finding Dory, Incredibles 2 etc.) were in super high demand. 

But then again, illumination is no Pixar, if they don't cash in with sequels quick, they might not have much to cash in years down the line.  

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 2

So it seems like every family film this year will underperform, drop quite from the predecessor (if a sequel) or flop this year, except for The Lion King, Frozen 2, and Toy Story 4 (maybe and hopefully Shaun the Sheep Farmageddon also). For everything else:

• Dora - flop
  • Angry Birds 2 - drop from first movie
  • Playmobil - flop
  • Abominable - flop
  • Maleficent 2 - underperformance
  • The Addams Family - flop
  • Shaun the Sheep - I have no clue actually
  • Spies in Disguise - flop