sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

15 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

It's going to make around Shazam profit for them. That would be alright if it was the first film of the franchise but considering the steep decline, there is nothing Illumination should be celebrating about. Not a huge hit either way. A moderate hit at best and a dead franchise.

Yep, they were really hoping this can take over Despicable me for them (especially since that franchise will have diminishing returns as well, very soon), it's not turning out well, hard to spin this as a win.

• Like 1

just in case someone cares, Aladdin'S SOuth Korea friday number jumped 125% from last friday as it looking to increase at least 40% from 2nd week. But it wont get number 1 spot there.

This is like Bohemian Rhapsody and Frozen all over again in SK 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

5 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Honestly, the box office is so depressing this year, I have no clue what’s going on. Pretty much everything that isn’t Disney is underperforming, and that is incredibly alarming.

Hoping for something good from 2020 to set us up for a good decade.

Disney isn't stopping other major studios from making money, the big budgeted non-Disney blockbuster films that are suffering this year are mainly cus of them not being good enough or having a mediocre marketing campaign/release schedule.

Also there's Spider-Man Far From Home next month, a non-Disney blockbuster that will make over a billion dollars. 

Edited by RealLyre
word
  • Like 2

Just now, titanic2187 said:

just in case someone cares, Aladdin'S SOuth Korea friday number jumped 125% from last friday as it looking to increase at least 40% from 2nd week. But it wont get number 1 spot there.

I care! :bravo:

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Deadline always does this. They always try and argue that the initial tracking is where the movie ends up. Endgame could have done 3M in previews, and Deadline would have still said "It's on track for a massive 300M weekend" lol

Tbf, its 'true' weekend was $297M so they weren't wrong...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

Just now, DAJK said:

Honestly, the box office is so depressing this year, I have no clue what’s going on. Pretty much everything that isn’t Disney is underperforming, and that is incredibly alarming.

I just find it funny the only surprise success we've had so far this year (The Upside) is for a movie from a now dead studio that sat on the shelf for nearly a year and a half until somebody rescued it.

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

People are losing interest in stuff quicker than ever. The past 3-4 years we've seen sequels to movies as new as less than two years bleeding a significant portion of the audience due to the originals just fading into home video oblivion with no lasting impact once their theatrical runs were over. I'd say studios should be warned but they'll probably just continue to throw stuff out there in hopes something will eventually stick.

A french journalist just released a book and the subject matter/premise is this :

thx to/because of technology/the Internet/computers/smarphones/texts/social networks/Apps etc,

the human brain is starting to de-evolve and we will soon have the attention capabilities of a gold fish.

Edited by The Futurist

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

CM

Endgame

Alladin

TS4

Spiderman 3

TLK 

will be the top films till August lol 

So, the only things holding a cracking-at-the-seams box office together are a handful of mega-tentpoles, most of which come from Disney. If people lose interest even in them, cinema will implode in less than 10 years, or even quicker.

• Sad 1

Just now, RealLyre said:

Disney isn't stopping other major studios from making money, the big budgeted non-Disney blockbusters films that are suffering this year are mainly cus of them not being good enough or having a mediocre marketing campaign/release schedule.

Also there's Spider-Man Far From Home next month, a non-Disney blockbuster will make over a billion dollars. 

FFH is affiliated to a Disney brand though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RealLyre said:

Disney isn't stopping other major studios from making money, the big budgeted non-Disney blockbuster films that are suffering this year are mainly cus of them not being good enough or having a mediocre marketing campaign/release schedule.

Also there's Spider-Man Far From Home next month, a non-Disney blockbuster that will make over a billion dollars. 

eh that is an exception...

Far From Home is only doing a billion being tied to the MCU really. 

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

3 minutes ago, RealLyre said:

Come on dude, Far From Home is a Disney movie in Sony's clothing.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I care! :bravo:

I also care. 

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

eh that is an exception...

Far From Home is only doing a billion being tied to the MCU really. 

Tied ?

The movie is 100% made at Marvel Studios from top to bottom.

Distributed by Sony.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1