sfran43

Flop Weekend Thread: Top 5 Weekend Actuals - TSLOP2 $46.65M | Dark Phoenix $32.83M | Aladdin $24.68M | Godzilla KOTM $15.45M | Rocketman $13.82M

3 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Endgame could have more significance than we thought.

I was thinking the same thing. After Endgame, there was that sense of "now what". It's going to be a long time before we get the next true cinematic manifestation of destiny, even if I've had other movies to look forward to since then like John Wick and Spider-Man.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Honestly, the box office is so depressing this year, I have no clue what’s going on. Pretty much everything that isn’t Disney is underperforming, and that is incredibly alarming.

Hoping for something good from 2020 to set us up for a good decade.

And then we notice that many of the originals that could potentially breakout in 2020 are Disney properties as well, Pixar's Onward, Pixar's Pete Docter original, and WDAS' "Dragon Empire".

• Like 2

The best remaining hopes for non-Disney/MCU hits this year:

Men in Black International

Yesterday

Annabelle Comes Home

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Hobbs and Shaw

Good Boys

IT: Chapter 2

The Goldfinch

Joker

The Addams Family

Gemini Man

Motherless Brooklyn

Last Christmas

Doctor Sleep?

Ford v. Ferrari (technically Disney)

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Knives Out

Queen & Slim

Jumanji 2

Cats

Little Women

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

And then we notice that many of the originals that could potentially breakout in 2020 are Disney properties as well, Pixar's Onward, Pixar's Pete Docter original, and WDAS' "Dragon Empire".

And I am glad they are all animations. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tawasal said:

So is IT 2 the next possible 200m grosser that is not tied to disney? That's really disappointing for this year. 

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood? JOKER?

9 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

A french journalist just released a book and the subject matter/premise is this :

thx to/because of technology/the Internet/computers/smarphones/texts/social networks/Apps etc,

the human brain is starting to de-evolve and we will soon have the attention capabilities of a gold fish.

We'll need Malcolm Gladwell to chime in.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Jumanji should reach it as well provided it doesn't implode.

So no other studie in this summer will reach 200m outside of disney or tied to disney? We have to wait for september for the next possible meltdown of a movie underperforming from the original. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Jumanji should reach it as well provided it doesn't implode.

I think Jumanji 2 would be better off if it came out after Star Wars like the last movie did instead of before it.

Just now, tawasal said:

So no other studie in this summer will reach 200m outside of disney or tied to disney? We have to wait for september for the next possible meltdown of a movie underperforming from the original. 

Hobbs & Shaw could do it but I'm not completely counting on it.

• Like 1

What s the hook for the QT movie ?

Di Cap and Brad chilling and talking in Hollywood for 3 hours ?

I know Di Caprio is the last movie star but damn, I don't know how these trailers can create interest  for the movie besides the cast ...

9 minutes ago, Marathon said:

So, the only things holding a cracking-at-the-seams box office together are a handful of mega-tentpoles, most of which come from Disney. If people lose interest even in them, cinema will implode in less than 10 years, or even quicker.

Let’s relax a little bit lol.

UK box office last year had the most actual audience admissions since 1971. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TMP said:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood? JOKER?

OUATIH doesn't look like the flick that does 200m on a summer schedule. Maybe if they released it in the holiday period. Joker is October, right? So the next almost sure fire 200m is IT 2. 

7 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Tied ?

The movie is 100% made at Marvel Studios from top to bottom.

Distributed by Sony.

and? it's still a Sony film (they just struck a deal with a better creative team). WB hires Nolan to direct a lot of their hits but they're still WB films. 

4 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

I was thinking the same thing. After Endgame, there was that sense of "now what". It's going to be a long time before we get the next true cinematic manifestation of destiny, even if I've had other movies to look forward to since then like John Wick and Spider-Man.

This wont be well liked by some on here..

but spending 20 bucks to watch a film like Infinity War and Endgame seems worth it as its such an epic sweeping blockbuster film.

Paying the same price to watch a comedy that you can see on netflix or on the IPTV box anyways seems really not worth it to me.

Each their own though. 

• Like 1