MinaTakla

The Future of Illumination Entertainment: A Discussion

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

This has nothing to do with streaming.

Illumination still has a financial future. Minions 2 will probably not decline as much.

You are probably right. Kids love the Minions, but I think for adults the Charm is wearing thin. Probably not have a big impact for Minions 2, but Minions 3 is a different story.

And I think the Minions work better as supporting charecters rather then the central charecters anyway.

I think Illumination should take a few risks, DM and Sing work well because they were different and fun and with the latter, it was Garth Jennings whereas they tend to stick with the same directors from project to project. 

I'd like to see Illumination do either a new hybrid or a fully live action film. There is a gap in the market for live action family films which is only really being filled by Disney and I think Universal and Illumination could tap into that.

...reads thread title...

Really?? I'd be much more worried about Pixar.

Illumination are much better than them, and in much better position than them. Illumination are the perfect tale of animated success. Pixar have been on a downhill for DECADES... They were a thing when there was simply no competition in the 3D field. Now their tired shtick is long obsolete.

Mind you, there are some good Pixar movies - but they are 1 a dozen. And even less so now when they are drowning in the remake cesspool. Not even watching Toy Story 18 and whatever else they may still have.

While Illumination still maintain consistent and close to excellent level of quality and originality. Add to that the beautiful leanness of not only their visuals but also their budgets, and it becomes absurdly clear that they are gonna be the TOP DOG in the field for a very long time.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, shayhiri said:

While Illumination still maintain consistent and close to excellent level of quality and originality. Add to that the beautiful leanness of not only their visuals but also their budgets, and it becomes absurdly clear that they are gonna be the TOP DOG in the field for a very long time.

A disgusting take. Sickening thoughts.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, AJG said:

A disgusting take. Sickening thoughts.

It is the reality. Your worldview is inherently screwed by being mindf*cked by Pixar since your most impressionable and - let's be frank here - dumb age.

That is why you can not comprehend just HOW Illumination kicked the SH!T out of Pixar, on their own turf - and with movies THREE TIMES less expensive. And they are still doing it, and will keep at it.

That is because not many people outside the US and their narrow sphere of influence care much about the Pixar simulacrum. (They owe their diminishing returns to their first decade of luxury of facing no competition.) While Illumination speak directly to the heart of a person, no matter where he is born.

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

...reads thread title...

Really?? I'd be much more worried about Pixar.

Illumination are much better than them, and in much better position than them. Illumination are the perfect tale of animated success. Pixar have been on a downhill for DECADES... They were a thing when there was simply no competition in the 3D field. Now their tired shtick is long obsolete.

Mind you, there are some good Pixar movies - but they are 1 a dozen. And even less so now when they are drowning in the remake cesspool. Not even watching Toy Story 18 and whatever else they may still have.

Trying a bit too hard.

shay formula doesn't quite fit and seems a bit off.

Heart doesn't seem really in it.

I'll give the post 3/10 shays.  Maybe 4 if I'm feeling generous.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

It is the reality. Your worldview is inherently screwed by being mindf*cked by Pixar since your most impressionable and - let's be frank here - dumb age.

That is why you can not comprehend just HOW Illumination kicked the SH!T out of Pixar, on their own turf - and with movies THREE TIMES less expensive. And they are still doing it, and will keep at it.

That is because not many people outside the US and their narrow sphere of influence cares much about the Pixar model. While Illumination speak directly to the heart of a person, no matter where he is born.

This one, on the other hand, has a bit more of that shay passion and spitfire, so on this one alone, I'll give it 5.5/10 shays.  Still not feeling it overall though, I'm afraid. :sadno:

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

That is because not many people outside the US and their narrow sphere of influence care much about the Pixar simulacrum. (They owe their diminishing returns to their first decade of luxury of facing no competition.) While Illumination speak directly to the heart of a person, no matter where he is born.

First Pixar has nothing to do with Illumination, Second you might misplaced ass with heart. Where is the heart in these Illumination movies. Unless you meant this:

f1454d8d6ee1e2f10dfb8f92e9c4d497.jpg

f3cfb9afc6ea10e33435a802642c992e.jpg

minion_sexy_butt_by_ying_min_d8tjtbf-pre

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Finnick said:

First Pixar has nothing to do with Illumination, Second you might misplaced ass with heart. Where is the heart in these Illumination movies. Unless you meant this:

f1454d8d6ee1e2f10dfb8f92e9c4d497.jpg

f3cfb9afc6ea10e33435a802642c992e.jpg

minion_sexy_butt_by_ying_min_d8tjtbf-pre

Edited by YourMother the Edgelord
Better meme

3 hours ago, Jonwo said:

I think Illumination should take a few risks, DM and Sing work well because they were different and fun and with the latter, it was Garth Jennings whereas they tend to stick with the same directors from project to project. 

I'd like to see Illumination do either a new hybrid or a fully live action film. There is a gap in the market for live action family films which is only really being filled by Disney and I think Universal and Illumination could tap into that.

I dunno, I'm pretty happy with all PG movies being cartoons now.

Here's what I think Illumination should do:

1. Market Minions 2 and any upcoming sequel from a story-driven perspective and not character trailers. I disagree that Grinch and DM3 marketing was bad, it wasn't as omnipresent yes but it sold the films' premise well and ended up working well for both on different levels. Grinch especially had a clever and controversial billboard campaign that was talked about. DM3's marketing overseas (where I live) also worked well. With Gru being part of the story in Minions 2, they better put coherent story-driven trailers.

2. Push Sing 2 a bit, and let that franchise breathe a bit. Keep Minions 2 as I still think it will do well overseas. Not sure about domestic but I think if marketed well it may not be another SLOP 2

3. Push Sing 2 to the winter spot which works very well for Illumination

4. Prepone the Pharell Williams film to 2021 if possible

5. Re-think marketing strategies and come up with more original content

6. Pay attention to the Mario movie, which I think they are as they've recently announced full creative control for the original Mario creator. Could be their Spiderverse or close to it, the way that film worked wonders for Sony

I feel like while SLOP 2 is a disappointment, it will not be the case for other Illumination films and won't spell their doom. Minions 2 is definitely seeing a decline (not sure on Sing 2 just yet) but I feel SLOP 2 was a misstep and a mishandled campaign. Part of me feels like Uni did know that - SLOP2 is the first and only Illumination film never to premiere at Annecy for example. Could be a sign that they knew something if off with it and perhaps that's why the marketing wasn't that coherent.

every studio has a disappointment / flop every now and again. FLOP2 is nothing to worry about. It will still make like 400m+ worldwide. When Hotel Transylvania makes those numbers its called a success. Yes this probably cost more bigger marketing spend but it's not a disaster.

Not every movie gets to be a franchise. SLOP was a hit, apparently no one wants a sequel, so what. They've got more movies coming soon.

Sing & Grinch did really well.

I suspect Sing 2 will be similar situation to FLOP2 but it will still cover its costs and turn a profit.

And yes DM3 had a bit of a drop but it still made over 1 billion. Minions are not going anywhere anytime soon. Besides even if the next minions film were to flop like Cars 3 they would still make billions off of the merchandising. The creation of the minions is probably the most lucrative movie character in this century if not maybe all time.

Edited by Avatree
  • Like 1

Grinch did well and was ok. SLOP1 was an awful movie but it did great so it makes sense the second one is doing as bad.

Now, Sing was BvS/G14 levels of bad and I wanted to like it so much so I hope the next one crashes and burns. 

Minions/DM franchise will be ok. I don't think people here realize how nuts kids and parents go for them. I dont think even Minions had "bad reception"  for its target audience.

They'll be ok if they do some (small) course-correcting

47 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Their last two originals (SLOP and Sing) outgrossed their last three movies which were sequels/adaptations. If I were them I'd going back to the original ideas route. So naturally, it looks like full steam ahead on the sequel train. 

They won't keep doing sequels for long - SLOP 3 won't happen. Minions 2 will happen since it's the highest grossing animated franchise in history and was long into production already. And that will have a focus on Gru and not a fully Minion-esque film so it has some potential to surprise. After Sing 2 (if they don't shelve it or push it), they won't have anymore sequels for a while. It will be the Mario film and the Pharrel Williams original pic.

Edited by MinaTakla

22 hours ago, Porthos said:

Trying a bit too hard.

shay formula doesn't quite fit and seems a bit off.

Heart doesn't seem really in it.

I'll give the post 3/10 shays.  Maybe 4 if I'm feeling generous.

The quality of Shay's trolling is going downhill fast.