Boxofficerules

Black Christmas - cut down from an R rating to a PG-13.

31 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Not sure if this is sarcasm or parody lol.

Ratings don’t usually bother me. I love plenty of horror that happens to be rated PG13. 

But when they’re actually cut, as this is, from R, just to achieve the rating for business reasons, it’s a bit lame. 

I'm not. My fave Horror movies usually are PG13, plus, BH's main draw always has been teen girls, they're right in making this movie accessible to the only demo that will show up. 

8 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

I'm not. My fave Horror movies usually are PG13, plus, BH's main draw always has been teen girls, they're right in making this movie accessible to the only demo that will show up. 

Hmm, females don’t always make up the majority audience for horror films in general, never mind just Blumhouse. 

They get close with supernatural horror, 49% on average apparently. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2018/film/box-office/horror-movies-study-1202994407/amp/

Happy Death Day was like 63% under 25, but doesn’t give a gender breakdown. 

In third is Universal and Blumhouse's Truth or Dare, delivering an estimated $19 million from 3,029 locations. Perhaps the most impressive aspect of this opening is that it did it alongside A Quiet Place as both films enjoyed solid weekend performances. The film's debut is just a bit shy of the $19.8 million opening for Ouija, which went on to gross just over $50 million. Opening weekend audiences gave the film a "B-" CinemaScore and saw a demo breakdown that was 60% female vs. 40% male with 40% of the audience coming in over the age of 25.

Looking ahead, a domestic run around $55-67 million seems likely when looking at the multipliers for previous Insidious and Paranormal Activity sequels. The Last Key received a "B-" CinemaScore from opening day audiences, the lowest audience score of the franchise, and opening weekend exit polls show the film playing to an audience that was 51% female vs. 49% male, of which 41% of the audience was over the age of 25. This is similar to Chapter 3, which was 54% female and 40% were over the age of 25.

Of course, it's important to remember that this film is carrying just a $9 million budget. 2U received a "B" CinemaScore, matching its predecessor, while playing to a crowd that was 51% female and 41% were aged 25 and older.

The audience was 69% female with 59% over 25. The Visit nabbed $1M in its Thursday previews; this marks Blumhouse’s eighth micro-budget film to open to more than $20 million

For all intents and purposes, Split was counter-programming for the weekend in its targeting of young women (per CinemaScore it drew 53% women, 55% over 25 with the under 18 bunch giving it an A-). Trackers say that Bye Bye Man‘s estimated 79% drop ($3.2M to $3.4M second weekend, $19.4M total) is indicative of the fact that Split soaked up that pic’s younger female crowd (which was 61% women, 75% under 25).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I said “don’t always” and provided the Variety link with the overall average gender breakdown for horror :) 

On a side note, big Yikes at the quality of those films though. Aside from The Visit. 

It's official, women prefer shitty horror movies 

/sarcasm

23 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Well now that this is PG-13, there should be no excuses for it to not be able to out gross Halloween 2018, if an R rated slasher can make that amount of money, surely a PG-13 should be easily able to do it. No excuses.

You can’t be genuine? 

Are you seeing the same level of hype for this as Halloween?? Where?! 😂

It basically only has 12 days of play. It’s a remake of Black Christmas, not Halloween. The last BC remake made $16m total. 

On 11/21/2019 at 8:52 AM, Krissykins said:

Remember Dimension opened the 2006 remake ON Christmas Day. Therefore it had basically only one day of interest 😂 what a dumb idea. 

I did not remember that. Haha, dumb idea is right. I wonder if they were just expecting people to gobble up the Christmas connection ON Christmas and then forget about it afterward and treat it like a normal horror.

Anyway, not sensing much buzz for this. Although it's not surprising. Even if it's relevant to Christmas, people aren't really thinking horror around this time.

5 hours ago, JB33 said:

I did not remember that. Haha, dumb idea is right. I wonder if they were just expecting people to gobble up the Christmas connection ON Christmas and then forget about it afterward and treat it like a normal horror.

Anyway, not sensing much buzz for this. Although it's not surprising. Even if it's relevant to Christmas, people aren't really thinking horror around this time.

Dimension got obsessed with opening horror on Christmas Day, I think it was because Scream opened that day and became a massive hit. They released Wolf Creek on Christmas which was a bad mistake, not many would want to see a movie like that around Xmas.

My local has put times up for this, only getting 2 evening shows which seems to show don’t have much faith in it.

30 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Dimension got obsessed with opening horror on Christmas Day, I think it was because Scream opened that day and became a massive hit. They released Wolf Creek on Christmas which was a bad mistake, not many would want to see a movie like that around Xmas.

My local has put times up for this, only getting 2 evening shows which seems to show don’t have much faith in it.

one of the most tense underrated horrors i've seen.

anyway this certainly looks better than the crappy 2006 one, even tho that had a great cast

The TV spots are even more spoilery than the trailer? They explicitly say "it's ______!" killing their sisters, lol. Curious if there's another twist or if they're just positioning this as 

Spoiler

sorority vs. killer fraternity

I suppose these Blumhouse horrors are generally so cheap that it doesn't matter if this dies after Christmas. It will probably make most of its domestic budget back on opening weekend, even if the opening weekend is nothing special. That's all they need. Just a little Christmas themed horror movie for audiences to enjoy during a very small window. Guess there's nothing wrong with it.

• Like 1