sfran43

Dead Weekend Walking Thread: Actuals - MIB International $30.03M | TSLOP2 $24.41M | Aladdin $17.31M | Rocketman $9.42M | Dark Phoenix $9.35M | SHAFT $8.90M

Hey everyone, I am I'm on vacation in sunny and hot Punta Cana. Been here since last Sunday. So I have not been keeping up with the box office much but is secret life of pets going to make more this weekend than the opening of Men In black?

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Hey everyone, I am I'm on vacation in sunny and hot Punta Cana. Been here since last Sunday. So I have not been keeping up with the box office much but is secret life of pets going to make more this weekend than the opening of Men In black?

Deadline says no, but it could change if Pets has a really strong Saturday.

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

No, Pets is going for 22-23M and MIB should be able to do 25-26M.

Edited by CJohn

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

No, Pets is going for 22-23M and MIB should be able to do 25-26M.

Doesn't 22-23 scene kind of low especially with Father's Day upon us this weekend?

10 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

They didn't kill it - sadly the audience did.

If Princess and the Frog wasn't bilge (or a completely different movie) and it wasn't released in the same season as Avatar, you might not say that.

Imagine if Frozen or Zootopia was 2D.

FFH vs The Lion king? competition in C,J, OS and DOM? I think they are direct competition while some will say they are not? Families check, Young adults check, Kids check, band-wagoners check ( People who just follow what is trending currently blindly and just follow the noise) 

After all I don't think it was a wise idea them opening so close to each other. 

I Think however both will do above 1B where TLK could push for 2B if it breaks-out big time but despite the pre-sales doing good for TS4 i think it's legs will get hurt big time by these two movies

Edited by Geo1500

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

If Princess and the Frog wasn't bilge (or a completely different movie) and it wasn't released in the same season as Avatar, you might not say that.

Imagine if Frozen or Zootopia was 2D.

Princess & The Frog was great.  Wonderful capable driven heroine, fun and different hero, scary villain, fun sidekicks and fantastic music - beautifully animated.

3 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

FFH vs The Lion king? competition in C,J, OS and DOM? I think they are direct competition while some will say they are not? Families check, Young adults check, Kids check, band-wagoners check ( People who just follow what is trending currently blindly and just follow the noise) 

I Think however both will do above 1B where TLK could push for 2B if it breaks-out big time but despite the pre-sales doing good for TS4 i think it's legs will get hurt big time by these two movies

Yeah 2 weeks gap between TS4 & FFH ... definitely FFH will hurt TS4 legs ... than TLK will come .. stiff competition across all the markets .. 

7 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

TLK will wipe the floor with FFH financially.

Edited by TMP
  • Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

Princess & The Frog was great.  Wonderful capable driven heroine, fun and different hero, scary villain, fun sidekicks and fantastic music - beautifully animated.

But you can't deny people connected to WDAS's billion dollar movies more. They could have been 2D.

Just now, cannastop said:

But you can't deny people connected to WDAS's billion dollar movies more. They could have been 2D.

They made a billion b/c they weren't 2D.  That's just the sad reality of the current animated market outside of Japan.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

They didn't kill it - sadly the audience did.

My daughter makes it sound like the concept of watching traditionally animated films in the cinema is like something out the dark ages. Like going to Blockbuster.

Kids think CG movies are for the cinema, 2D Movies are for the TV. Trying to make 2d popular again would mean they'd have to change the way a lot of kids value 2d films.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

They made a billion b/c they weren't 2D.  That's just the sad reality of the current animated market outside of Japan.

Did people stop loving The Lion King? Beauty and the Beast? Why would a 2D movie not be a success if it were made?

I don't know if it'll come from Disney but I think we're starting to see audience demand for more diverse animation styles again. Something has to give eventually with all these ho hum CGI time killers coming and going.

Hoping Netflix will be one to lead the charge on this front at least.