DeeCee

***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***SPIDER-MAN:FAR FROM HOME SPOILER THREAD***SPOILERS ALLOWED***SPOILERS***

Just now, john2000 said:

dont worry he will leave school in the third movie, however people just cant decide, other say to something different, (school years is somethingg that we havent see before) then they are saying do something that we already have see, people just cant decide, marvel plays the long game,

I think that the problem is that highschool movies/TV don't work outside of highschool. so characters grow out of it, go to college or whatever and it just doesn't work storywise cause they were created with highschool culture in mind. 

To me HS isn't a problem as much as really annoying characters that populate it and overall lame handling. The subplot with the guy (Brad? similar? didn't catch the name) who had the crush on MJ went nowhere, didn't advance the plot, so why the heck we had it in the movie? we know that MJ was crushing on PP and that he was now crushing back so why hint at love triangle that was never going to be that cause PP and MJ like each other, not other people? just stupid and bloats the screen time. 

also, maybe shippers were on stitches whether PP and MJ get together, but I thought it was eye-rolling that they interrupted his confession several times for the sake of suspense. lol, what suspense? I don't want to sound down on FFH because stuff with PP and Mysterio was great, but HS is the weak link, IMO.

• Like 1

Thoroughly enjoyed Far From Home. The illusion scene in Berlin was stunning and faithful to the comics in terms of the way Mysterio presented. Loved the final web-swinging scene too, which is something I'll never get tired of seeing in Spider-Man movies. While there were some pacing problems in the first half, which was one aspect Homecoming did better, I felt this was a step up from the previous film. Here's my current ranking for the live-action Spidey flicks:

1. Spider-Man: Far From Home (tie)
1. Spider-Man 2 (tie)
3. Spider-Man: Homecoming
4. Spider-Man
5. Amazing Spider-Man
6. Spider-Man 3
7. Amazing Spider-Man 2

And of course that mid-credits scene! So glad we got JK Simmons back as JJJ

spider-man jk simmons GIF

• Like 2

I thought the movie tried asking what it means to be Iron Man but fails to answer that question and just says "you can never be Iron Man so stop trying to be". It would be an alright ending if that question was actually answered (sure, Spidey can't be the next Iron man but why?) and that revelation doesn't really affect him as a character and the movie just trods on into a large and busy action scene.

I know I'm looking really hard into the movie but I did have a fun time with it so in the end so it's alright but they could start getting better writers to fix up the story because Homecoming had the same problem.

Edited by lorddemaxus

For anyone who has played Spider Man on ps4, do you agree JJJ as a Alex jones style show host in this movie is better than him being a conservative radio Rush Limbaugh style host in the game or not? Sad truth is that newspapers are dying so I appreciate the updates to the character.

Edited by eddyxx

19 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I thought the movie tried asking what it means to be Iron Man but fails to answer that question and just says "you can never be Iron Man so stop trying to be". It would be an alright ending if that question was actually answered (sure, Spidey can't be the next Iron man but why?) and that revelation doesn't really affect him as a character and the movie just trods on into a large and busy action scene.

I know I'm looking really hard into the movie but I did have a fun time with it so in the end so it's alright but they could start getting better writers to fix up the story because Homecoming had the same problem.

More pressing question is why is that question the one the movie decides to ask? They just seem to be trying to turn Peter Parker into Tony Stark when Peter Parker is so much more interesting as Peter Parker. It's like they're not even interested in making Spider-Man movies.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JimiQ said:

Brad storyline was to accentuate Peter’s insecurities which lead to giving edith to Beck

it could have been done better. we know PP is insecure. we didn't need love triangle that never was and went nowhere. 

2 hours ago, John Harris said:

I'm eager to see if/how Holland's Parker ends up working for this JJJ.

Flipping around the dial, I watched the end of Amazing Spidey 2 yesterday for some reason, featuring the death of Gwen. I don't think I want to see Holland's Spidey suffer a similar loss anytime soon. The tone of these movies has been pretty light; MCU Spidey doesn't need to go down that path, IMO. He's already lost Uncle Ben (off-screen) and his beloved mentor (Stark); I just don't need to see MJ (or any PP love interest) murdered by one of Spidey's enemies in this universe. Maybe as things get a little heavier when we get into the college years... but no time soon.

And I've noticed I'm not missing the Osborns in this iteration of Spidey. At all. Give me Kraven, Scorpion, heck, even Hardy's Venom to take on Spidey in future films. I like his supporting cast just fine as is. Harry would feel shoe-horned in at this point.

And I haven't read all 17 pages of this thread: Has anyone commented on the license plates throughout FFH? I saw a Marvel Team-Up ("MTU") plate, but the "ASM 28965" was an eyebrow-raiser. Amazing Spidey #289 featured the big reveal that Ned Leeds is the Hobgoblin. While that's a cool Easter egg, I see no way that MCU Ned becomes a super-villain. He's a completely different character here; the only things he has in common with comics Ned is his name and the fact that he hooked up with Betty Brant.

The ASM 28965 reference is more likely to Amazing Spidey #28, first appearance of the Molten Man from Sept 1965, who kind of appears in FFH as the fire elemental. But the Hobgoblin possibility is a cool bonus!

Jon Watts is big on using license plates as easter eggs

• 463 — Appears at the beginning of the movie when Fury and Hill are facing the Earth Elemental. Reference to Amazing Spider-Man #4 (1963), the first appearance of Sandman
  • MTU83779 — Spotted on Fury's license plate in Berlin. Reference to Marvel Team-Up #83 (July 1979), which features a team-up between Spider-Man and Nick Fury
  • TASM143 — Can be seen on an overturned car during the London battle. Reference to Amazing Spider-Man #143, which features Peter squaring off against Cyclone for the first time, AND features Peter and MJ's first kiss in the comics
  • AMF1562 — Featured on May's license plate when she comes to pick up Peter from the airport. Reference to Amazing Fantasy #15 (1962), Spidey's first appearance 
  • HMN 62011 — Final post-credits scene, on Talos and Soran's car. Reference to Hawkeye & Mockingbird #6 (2011), which features a Skrull posing as Nick Fury

• Thanks 1

God, I hope that rumor about Charlie Cox's Daredevil showing up in SM3 is true. It's been teased by several scoopers, we know that by 2020, Marvel Studios will be allowed to use him, this is the perfect opportunity.

Need to let the movie sink in a little but just as with Homecoming, people overhyped this too much, I couldn't help but be disappointed a bit. I was wary when I saw those initial raves (which usually happens, tempers calm down when reviews are near and we get more balanced reactions) and this confirmed it.

I worship Raimi's trilogy (yes, even the third one, despite some of its shortcomings), really like TASM & TASM2. The Raimi trilogy especially just has a heart, soul, flair and VISION that HC and FFH just do not have. Not to say that HC and FFH don't have heart, they do, but they don't feel distinct enough, they just feel like another installment of the MCU franchise. Raimi's films have a personality to them,  a product of its time perhaps but yeah, nobody has topped Raimi's set pieces too.

I can't help but wonder, truly, aside from the very early MCU films, Coogler and the Russos, how much leeway the directors have, it feels to me like they could be directed by anyone (not literally but you know what I mean), there's no visual flair.

Far From Home is a big step up from Homecoming though, I don't like the globetrotting aspect as I believe Spidey just belongs in NYC but it lends itself well to this story. Holland is great but my heart still belongs to Andrew and Tobey. Zendaya FINALLY gets something to do, and as seen on Euphoria, she is really talented, the two have very strong chemistry but it is a bit odd that the two barely interact in Homecoming, she's barely in it, and yet Peter has a massive crush on her when FFH opens? I guess it just happened offscreen. Still, that aspect works like a charm. 

Jake is obviously a highlight, the bar scene was a bit cheesy and I think I would have liked it better if he didn't need anyone else to help him create all of this although obviously, doing this all by himself probably isn't believable. 

The ILLUSIONS are probably the best parts of the film, as boring as the rest of it looks lighting wise, those sequences are really some of the most inventive stuff an MCU film has ever done, it's trippy, unnerving, surprising and super cool. 

The film is otherwise quite fun, but in the usual MCU way which can prove tiring at times (one particular gag when Fury meets Peter in his hotel room is overdone), the post Endgame and Tony aspect gives it a much needed tragic element although I thought they'd lean more into the dramatic aspect?! Still, well made, also a bunch of twists and turns. 

The action with the Elementals is fine (I miss Raimi's action), the third act however elevates the film, the whole London set piece is quite well done, inventive. The mid credits scene is as awesome as everyone said it was, my mind MELTED when JK showed up, I guess this legitimizes the multiverse ! :D I hope he didn't just show up for a cameo, but I doubt it. And oh my, Beck framing Spidey, just made me super hyped for the third film all of a sudden, the possibilities are exciting, I hope it'll also take place exclusively in NYC. 

Oh and more webslinging next time, the final scene is very satisfying but still falls short of the webslinging in Raimi's trilogy and Webb's series.

Edited by TimmyRiggins
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, eddyxx said:

I was thinking the whole movie, "Man, SLJ is really phoning it in and they're writing him as a dummy" so for it to turn out it wasnt actually Nick Fury was clever but confusing. 

Not everyone stays to watch the post credit scenes though.  So you end up with people just thinking SLJ/Fury kinda sucked.

14 minutes ago, ZackM said:

Not everyone stays to watch the post credit scenes though.  So you end up with people just thinking SLJ/Fury kinda sucked.

Well shit, turns out I left too soon (after JJJ).

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I really hope they refrain from using the Gwen Stacy tragedy on Spidey in this universe. Losing his mentor was a crushing enough blow. Holland is too good at conveying childlike innocence.

They're gonna have to tackle some more serious terrain though at some point. I get that some people are loving this tone but light gets boring after a while. Also, @John Harris, Daniel RPK (a well known and trustworthy scooper) has been teasing that Osborn is going to be the next big bad in the MCU. 

2 hours ago, Lucas said:

More pressing question is why is that question the one the movie decides to ask? They just seem to be trying to turn Peter Parker into Tony Stark when Peter Parker is so much more interesting as Peter Parker. It's like they're not even interested in making Spider-Man movies.

Doesn't Happy answer this question during the movie?

Even Tony Stark couldn't be Tony Stark.  He was a "mess," in Happy's words.  I think the movie decides to ask that question so that it can give the answer: Don't be Tony Stark.  Even Tony Stark couldn't be Tony Stark.  Be Peter Parker.

A character theme since maybe Civil War is that even Tony Stark himself sees a potential in Peter to be more than Tony by being different than Tony.  This movie carries that theme forward, and builds smartly off their well-established mentor-apprentice relationship.

Edited by LinksterAC
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, LinksterAC said:

Doesn't Happy answer this question during the movie?

Even Tony Stark couldn't be Tony Stark.  He was a "mess," in Happy's words.  I think the movie decides to ask that question so that it can give the answer: Don't be Tony Stark.  Even Tony Stark couldn't be Tony Stark.  Be Peter Parker.

Happy says that - and immediately afterwards we watch Peter Parker be Tony Stark with the tech and designing his suit. What's the point supposed to be?

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

7 minutes ago, ZackM said:

That's when I left.  Then I saw people talking about Skrulls and wondered If I watched the same movie.

That's massively important plot points delegated to post credits scenes, what the fuck?