DeeCee

***SPOILERS***SPOILERS***SPIDER-MAN:FAR FROM HOME SPOILER THREAD***SPOILERS ALLOWED***SPOILERS***

Very much prefered the teen comedy stuff when I could divorce it from the MCU and Spider-Man. Whenever the MCU showed up it felt like it was intruding on a comfy romance movie and kept getting in the way.

22 minutes ago, Menor said:

Audience ratings are very good by most metrics. A lot of people in BOT seem to dislike the teen comedy aspects but general audiences seem to enjoy them. I enjoyed them a lot

The teen aspects is what makes the Spidey films stand out from the other MCU films. Literally the 1st Act is all just teen romance hijinks.

• Like 2

Peter's entire reason for keeping his identity a secret in Homecoming had to be boiled down to "Aunt May can't know" because they couldn't use the "it would put my friends in danger" excuse. Well now Aunt May knows and where does that go? Nowhere, it's all fine. We don't even get to see the immediate fallout because it happens between films. She just knows, and it's all fine for Peter. Everything is all fine for Peter. He loses his suit? It's fine, of course Spider-Man wouldn't have any money problems (even though that's a key element of his character) because of Tony Stark, he just gets a new suit perfectly equipped with everything he needs. It's all juuuust fine for Peter.

I can pretty much guarantee that his identity being revealed (and thus destroying the most interesting aspect of Spider-Man as a character) is gonna end up being just fine for Peter. We probably won't even see the immediate aftermath of it similar to the Aunt May stuff since both movies end in the exact same way. Shit, it's probably gonna be played for laughs.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, justvision said:

Yes, go and rewatch it. Edith is about the pinnacle of Tony's AI system, IT, communication, and the control of global satellites and weaponization of drones etc etc. BARF is the subset about hologram. Beck was involved with BARF only, that was why he had to get help from other Ex-Stark Industry employees in a few other areas e.g. William Riva with the drones/weapons. But certainly all the ex-employees combined were still far behind what Tony managed to achieve in his later life. Thus the need for a convoluted plan to deceive Peter to give away Edith.

NUH UH!!!  Just kidding.  Fortunately, I have tickets to see it again tomorrow.  If I learn that you're right, I'll buy you a cupcake.  Only thing is, I'll have to eat if for you.  :)

• Haha 1

Fantastic flick.  The Mysterio vs. Spidey action sequences were highlights for me, and felt very true to the comics.  Gyllenhaal was a bit of a revelation as Mysterio, and there hasn't been a better Spider-Man/Peter Parker than Tom Holland.  The guy just nails it, even down to the Queens accent.

The Tony Stark callbacks were touching, and well-used, particularly the "engineering-on-the-fly" (no pun intended) scene on Happy's jet.  I loved seeing JK Simmons reprise his role as J. Jonah Jameson.  The identity reveal is uncharted territory for this character, but so was sexy May, and the Stark-Parker relationship.  This Spidey-phile is excited to see where it all goes.  At this point, I have no reason to doubt the MCU will do it narrative justice.

I'm already looking forward to a second viewing.  Superb stuff!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, DeeCee said:

I generally try and avoid marketing. 

Question

Does the marketing indicate clearly that Mysterio is the villain?

My recollection is that the initial tease suggested he might be but that all subsequent trailers only had him as a friend of Peter. 

From the first trailer, Mysterio is blatantly obvious as the villain. 

I know nothing about comics either. 

7 hours ago, justvision said:

Peter tingle/Spidey sense is very much an unique superpower/ability that depends a lot on mental willingness, mental strength and mental alertness. So the inconsistency of Peter displaying/using this ability is paradoxically consistent with the very nature of this Spidey sense: when Peter is unwilling to take responsibility, when he wants to relax, when he is weakened by emotional distress, self doubt etc, and when he is not alert, the Spidey sense just doesn't work or is greatly weakened.

Conversely, when he was determined to get back Edith, when he was at the height of his alertness being attacked by hundred of drones, when the usual senses of sight and sound are not dependable (during the final holographic fight) and Spidey sense was the only thing he could depend on, its full power manifested.

Him taking down the drones at the end is hands down the best scene in the movie and I'd argue up there with the train sequence from SM2.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

God, that Mysterio exposition scene was one of the worst exposition scenes I have scene in a long time. Couldn't there have been a better way to tell his backstory? Would have been better if Mysterio actually revealed it to Peter later on using one of his trippy illusions instead of telling his co-workers what they already knew.

Also the conflict with that Asian kid was pretty useless.

They had to cast a Asian gigachad as competition for Peter cause they already turned Flash into a troll instead of a jock. I liked the character and side note liked Flash in this better than in homecoming where I was irritated the character had been changed so much.  Actually I'm fine with all the character changes now especially Mj. Zendaya had such good chemistry with Tom in this.

5 hours ago, Lucas said:

Very much prefered the teen comedy stuff when I could divorce it from the MCU and Spider-Man. Whenever the MCU showed up it felt like it was intruding on a comfy romance movie and kept getting in the way.

Pretty much the same. The action was good and fun, but Peter having hijinks with his friends in Europe was golden.

One more thing I’ll say; can we please stop with the whole “bad guy has a vendetta against Tony Stark” thing? I get that he’s the flagship hero of the MCU, but all three Iron Man films and both Spider-Man films have had these kinds of villains. It’s especially annoying in the case of Spider-Man, because it makes him feel like an Iron Man supporting character, rather than his own hero. I get that part of the point of FFH is Peter learning to stop living in Tony’s shadow, but for the next one, can we maybe have a villain who has nothing to do with Iron Man? 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

One more thing I’ll say; can we please stop with the whole “bad guy has a vendetta against Tony Stark” thing? I get that he’s the flagship hero of the MCU, but all three Iron Man films and both Spider-Man films have had these kinds of villains. It’s especially annoying in the case of Spider-Man, because it makes him feel like an Iron Man supporting character, rather than his own hero. I get that part of the point of FFH is Peter learning to stop living in Tony’s shadow, but for the next one, can we maybe have a villain who has nothing to do with Iron Man? 

It's funny cause that's been a recurring thing with all Spidey films. The Raimi ones the main villains all were connected to Peter's personal life, TASM all the villains were involved with Oscorp and the MCU the villains' origin are Tony Stark based. Though yeah definitely will hope that changes in the 3rd. 

• Like 2