Impact

Crowd Reports Thread

NEW

John Carter (1 screen, 4 showings)

John Carter: An IMAX 3D Experience (1 screen, 5 showings)

John Carter 3D (1 screen, 5 showings)

Friends With Kids (1 screen, 5 showings)

Silent House (1 screen, 6 showings)

A Thousand Words (1 screen, 6 showings)

HOLDOVERS

Project X (1 screen, 6 showings)

Dr. Seuss' The Lorax (2 screens, 11 showings)

Dr. Seuss' The Lorax 3D (1 screen, 6 showings)

Tyler Perry's Good Deeds (1 screen, 6 showings)

Act Of Valor (1 screen, 6 showings)

Wanderlust (1 screen, 6 showings)

This Means War (1 screen, 6 showings)

Safe House (1 screen, 6 showings)

The Artist (1 screen, 5 showings)

SHARED SCREENS

Dr. Seuss' The Lorax 3D/Project X (4 showings/3 showings)

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island 2D/3D (3 showings/2 showings)

The Secret World Of Arietty/Hugo 3D/Silent House (1 showing/3 showings/1 showing)

Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance 3D/The Vow (3 showings/2 showings)

LEAVING

Gone (2 weeks)

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace 3D (4 weeks)

Chronicle (5 weeks)

The Woman In Black (5 weeks)

Project XAmstar $6.75 3:30 + or - 10 peopleDark Knight RisesWrath of the TitansThe Ravensmaybe Neighborhood Watch- got in lateI went with my friends and we at first had an issue getting in because they were 16, but they eventually let us through. The movie was hilarious and i feel like the found footage filming worked better than traditional filming. Eventhough there were cliches- it still worked. This would only appeal to my age demographic, but everyone my age that i know has liked it so far.B - Go see!

Edited by jandrew

Upcoming films I've seen trailers for:John CarterMirror, MirrorWrath of the TitansTitanic 3DAmerican Pie 4Three StoogesPiratesMIB321 Jump StreetBraveTDKRGI Joe 2BattleshipParanormanCabin in the WoodsDespicable Me 2Ice Age 4Madagascar 3PrometheusChimpanzeeJack the Giant KillerThe 2 I've seen the most are John Carter and Pirates.

John Carter6 PM Thursday3D Imax 600 seater, 20-30% fullTrailers:We arrived on the final trailer Wrath of the Titans and didnt see the whole trailer not much reaction.Movie:Mixed feelings about this one.From the trailer I was expecting a different kind of movie, more and bigger fights.That wasn't the case but the movie wasn't bad and I kind of enjoyed the story.3D didn't add muchRating:7/10

Moneyball

Greenbelt 3, Makati City, Philippines

5:30 pm screening

30% full (300-400 seats)

Trailers

Anonymous

The Expendables 2 (some cheers when the names of the stars were flashed on screen and loudest cheer for Norris)

The Avengers

The Movie

I wanted to watch John Carter but to my surprise the 5:20 2D screening was sold out so I watched this instead. Baseball is not a popular sport here in the Philippines (we are a basketball nation) so I was not surprised that very few people watched this. If this didn't star Brad Pitt this won't be screened here at all.

Admittedly at the start I had a hard time following the story with all those baseball jargon and statistics but somehow it still drew me in especially the snappy dialgoue. Loved the rapport between Pitt and Hill. I don't think Hill delivered a performance worthy of an Oscar nod but he's very likable here so it's all good. Pitt was very good as well, he commanded the screen like no other and made Billy a compelling character

The small crowd is very responsive I must say and I think some of them are actual baseball fans. There was this one guy seated near me though that kept on explaining to his date what is happening and I chuckled when at the last part of the movie the girl asked the guy "didn't you say they will win?" and the guy was definitely caught off guard :D Lots of good chatter as people exited the theater

Well-crafted film definitely

A

• Like 1

Posted Image

John Carter in 3D

2:30PM Friday, March 9th

Cinemark Palace 20 Boca Raton

Theater Capacity: About 450 (10% full)

Ticket Price: $11.00

Concessions: n/a

TRAILERS: (*all trailers were in 3D)

Wrath of the Titans – same 3D trailer I’ve seen before, it looks okay; no reaction

Men in Black 3 – AWESOME trailer, and it got a good reaction from audience

Prometheus – first time I’d seen this teaser in 3D, and it was excellent. Got a few audience whispers from the older folks

Madagascar 3 – it’s a fun trailer, got no reaction (except at Chris Rock’s zebra painted like a clown)

Brave – this was the first time since The Devil Wears Prada promotions that I saw a trailer exclusively show a two to three minute clip cut right out of the film to market itself. And, actually, I think the clip works extremely well in the same spirit as TDWP did. I’m talking about “The Prize” trailer if any of you wanted to watch it (I highly recommend it:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4EZULqhP2E

The Avengers – new trailer and… WOW! Looks fantastic, got an excellent reaction from at least one person in the audience. J

THE FILM:

When a studio claims Star Wars and Avatar were inspired by the film they are marketing, I not only listen but also raise my expectations high enough that I believe the film must be worth paying to see opening day. John Carter’s marketing has captivated my attention since last summer when I first saw their stellar trailer debut backdropped with Peter Gabriel's cover of "My Body is a Cage" (*MOVIE FACT - Peter Gabriel also sung the Oscar-nominated "Down to Earth" from John Carter director Andrew Stanton's previous movie, WALL*E). And even during the Disney opening where they show Cinderella's castle before the picture, a red sky backdrop does a superb job of setting the mood of being set on Mars (... or maybe the red sky is supposed to be Chinese Disneyland; I don't know).

I'd never read the early 20th century "of Mars" books that John Carter is based on, but I can only assume that Stanton and Disney successfully adapted the stories to the screen. The planet of Barsoom (Mars) is rich with back story and characterization that I'm sure is enriching for the folks that know the books. Unfortunately, I think some of the character or tribe names were too fantastical for the audience to empathize with, or at least we may have empathized a bit more if there was as little as 5 more minutes of film in the first act to build up this planet. Still, the Mars realm is pretty easy to follow and it becomes quite evident which sci-fi films owe a debt of gratitude to this source material (the pod racers in Star Wars, the solar ship(s) in Avatar... everything about Avatar, Planet of the Apes, The Princess Bride, Titanic, any comic book/superhero movie, etc.). The mid-19th century West--however brief--fits in with this movie, too.

John Carter is the movie Cowboys & Aliens should have been, and it's a story that must've inspired countless others over the last one hundred years. It's not the greatest story movie I've ever seen, but I have an enormous amount of respect for the proportionate manner in which everything played out. And like the last film I went to see (The Lorax), I really admired that John Carter is a story-telling picture. As things appear now, the box office prospects don't seem very bright for Disney as this film cost the studio a quarter billion dollars to make and other studios will likely condemn John Carter as a box office boondoggle. But this movie really needed to be made, and I applaud the brave filmmakers who took on this challenge. And for the record, the audience reaction wasn't particularly enthusiastic, but that's mainly because of the early showing/weak numbers in the audience. It didn't seem anyone was disappointed by the picture.

I HIGHLY recommend anyone watch John Carter.

Experience - 20/30

Story/Writing - 18/20

Acting - 12/15

Tech Specs (Cinematography, Editing, Effects) - 15/15

Direction - 10/10

Music - 8/10

Bonuses:

Special Effects caliber – 5

Originality – 5

THE VERDICT: 93/100, A

Edited by Andy Stitzer
  • Like 1

John Carter40% Full22:00MIB 3 - The first trailer, no reaction.The Avengers - the new trailer but with new scenes, a lot Wow and this looks incredible in 3DAThe movie is almost perfect, has an awesome look, excellent performances, the couple has chemistry, an INCREDIBLE soundtrack, excellent cinematography. The only cons is the film's final battle is extremely short.Note: The story isn't confusing, unless you are retardedNote 2: the best 3D I've ever seen (not watched Avatar in that format)Note 3: The story is very similar to TPMMy English doesn't allow me to do a more complex text, sorry guys

Edited by Goffe

John Carter

7:00 showing in 2D, 225 seat theater roughly 75% full. Tcket cost $0 (used some of my SCENE points)

Trailers

Battleship- silence

Prometheus- silence

Brave- New trailer to me, heard some chatter

Avengers- this got some reaction. No idea if it is a new trailer, first time I've seen a trailer for the movie.

The movie, not great but better than I was expecting. My take is it is an ok movie, but I could see the potential for this to have been awesome. The crowd seemed generally entertained but there were some mixed comments when it ended.

I'd say this would be worth paying a matinee price to see it in 2D, but not worth paying full price in any format.

John Carter

40% Full

22:00

MIB 3 - The first trailer, no reaction.

The Avengers - the new trailer but with new scenes, a lot Wow and this looks incredible in 3D

A

The movie is almost perfect, has an awesome look, excellent performances, the couple has chemistry, an INCREDIBLE soundtrack, excellent cinematography. The only cons is the film's final battle is extremely short.

Note: The story isn't confusing, unless you are retarded

Note 2: the best 3D I've ever seen (not watched Avatar in that format)

Note 3: The story is very similar to TPM

You can't have seen many 3D films then, my friend and I agreed that barring a couple of wide shots the 3D was pretty poor. Conversions for the most part are.

You can't have seen many 3D films then, my friend and I agreed that barring a couple of wide shots the 3D was pretty poor. Conversions for the most part are.

yeah, it's true I only watched 7 movies in 3D and none of them have a good conversion, the best of the 7 is Hugo, but I don't like the 3D of Hugo how I liked the 3D of John CarterPirates 4Cars 2Kung Fu Panda 2The Adventures of TintinHugoBeowulfGhost Rider: Spirit of Vengeancebut for me the 3D of JC is awsome Edited by Goffe

So it's not filmed in 3D?I would like to now how the 3D is because i want to take my mom to e 3D movie (she's never seen one) but i want it to be good not Clash of Titans style 3D.

John Carter (2D obv.)8:30PM 10th March225 seats, oh, about 40% fullTrailers:The Avengers - Wasn't the new trailer. LameBattleship - Was also an old trailer. LamePirates thingy - wasn't funnyThe Hunger Games - Looks OK I guess.Wrath of the Titans - Was actually a pretty cool trailer. Hmm.Movie was ass. Crowd was dead silent throughout. As soon as it finished I bolted out of there so I didn't hear their reactions as they were leaving and stuff so IDK.

John Carter (2D obv.)8:30PM 10th March225 seats, oh, about 40% fullTrailers:The Avengers - Wasn't the new trailer. LameBattleship - Was also an old trailer. LamePirates thingy - wasn't funnyThe Hunger Games - Looks OK I guess.Wrath of the Titans - Was actually a pretty cool trailer. Hmm.Movie was ass. Crowd was dead silent throughout. As soon as it finished I bolted out of there so I didn't hear their reactions as they were leaving and stuff so IDK.

Is this U.S. or elsewhere?

Project X

3:45pm

50% full

Movie: Great movie. Fun and entertaining. Sick movie.

A-

Lorax 3D

6:10pm

80% full

Movie: The animation was great along with the 3D and score. The musical scenes were fun and the characters were cute and funny. The story was kind of lame though and boring.

B+