The Adventures of Tintin 3D

9:50pm

5% full

-Trailers-

Titanic 3D- Silence/Some laughter

Stars Wars I 3D- Silence

Madagascar 3- Lots of talks/laughs at the lady in the trailer

Brave- Some talk

The Hobbit- Lots of talk. (Epic trailer on the big screen and in 3D)

Movie- Wow this was really good. The film was very fast paced which I enjoyed. The film never seemed to drag and it started off fast. Positive talk after on how amazing the animation was and 3D was. Great family movie to see in January.

A-

Shame

Clearview's Chelsea Theater - 2:45 PM - 85% full.

I also walked in to The Artist at 2, 90% full, and Dragon Tattoo 2:30 Sold Out.

Trailers:

Missed most of them because I was waiting for the ticket checker guy to leave.

Albert Nobbs - Do people in the movie really believe she's a guy?

Movie:

It's pretty okay. Fassbender really isn't that great, but Mulligan (sp?) is pretty awesome. The movie has less dialogue than The Artist (not really, but pretty close to it). There's little editing - in one scene he goes for a run that lasts around 5 city blocks. Then when she is singing New York, New York is stays on her face for the whole song, and since she sings it really slow it's there a while. Pretty graphic movie that really didn't need to be. GREAT score with some awesome strings though.

Yea.

SHERLOCK HOLMES: A GAME OF SHADOWS9:30PM, Friday301 seats, 75% FullTrailersJ. Edgar - Good reaction, it will be a hit in PortugalMen in Black 3 - Some laughsUnderworld Awakening - This franchise was never big here, NRMovie: Fantastic. I think that it was as good as the first. The last part was intense and epic. The confrontation between Holmes and Moriarty is memorable. I hope they do another one. Robert Downey Jr is awesome as always. 9/10

Good. I'll see this today, OD!
  • Like 1

Shame

Clearview's Chelsea Theater - 2:45 PM - 85% full.

I also walked in to The Artist at 2, 90% full, and Dragon Tattoo 2:30 Sold Out.

Trailers:

Missed most of them because I was waiting for the ticket checker guy to leave.

Albert Nobbs - Do people in the movie really believe she's a guy?

Movie:

It's pretty okay. Fassbender really isn't that great, but Mulligan (sp?) is pretty awesome. The movie has less dialogue than The Artist (not really, but pretty close to it). There's little editing - in one scene he goes for a run that lasts around 5 city blocks. Then when she is singing New York, New York is stays on her face for the whole song, and since she sings it really slow it's there a while. Pretty graphic movie that really didn't need to be. GREAT score with some awesome strings though.

Yea.

You must be trying to rile up FishNets. Best male perf of the year. Edited by tonytr87

Alvin and The Chipmunks 3

Glorietta Cinema 3, Makati City, Philippines

Press Screening, January 6, 2012 8 pm

97% full (400-500 seats)

Lots of kids in the crowd and there were a lot freebies from alvin toys, Mcdonald meals, ice cream and cotton candy for everyone not just for kids :D

Trailers

Joyful Noise - I heard a person who commented on Dolly Parton's looks

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - no reaction

We Bought a Zoo - This is a different trailer to the one I was used too seeing in theaters, it focused on goofy moments with the animals and has a less dramatic tone than the previous one, kids in the crowd loved it

Journey 2 - a kid shouted Gabriela upon seeing Vanessa Hudgens

Jack The Giant Killer - a kid near me asked his parent, what's that?

Ice Age 4 - It's more of a short than a trailer and the crowd (not just the kids) loved this

The Movie:

It's harmless kids fluff. The pop cultural references didn't work all the time. But the movie is fun to watch with kids around.

C

Edited by forg

Depression Double Feature: In the Land of Blood & Honey and SHAME

Sunday, January 8th, 2012

Kendall Square Cinema

Cambridge, MA

In the Land of Blood & Honey

1:50

Attendance: 40-50 people, broad adult audience

Trailers:

Was late so I only saw Carnage, no reaction

Film- posted my thoughts in RTM. It's brutal but good.

Reaction- It was mostly subdued, there was chatter going out and in the lobby I talked to a mother and daughter who had just seen it. They said it was really tough to watch and they seemed a little dazed by it. They were also going to do a double feature with Shame, but decided after seeing Blood/Honey that they couldn't see another movie today... so I thought that was interesting.

SHAME

4:20

Attendance: 30-40 people, this skewed a little younger, there were more twenty-somethings

Trailers:

Carnage- NR

Crazy Horse- some French smut film, got a mostly wtf reaction

Albert Nobbs- NR, and I think this looks so dumb

Film- I was surprised at how well this went together with Blood & Honey. They both took an issue and literally beat you over the head with it for 2 hours. Brutal, cold, and un-relenting. One about war, another about sex- but I was surprised at how the general tone of the films seemed to overlap, at least for me. Shame, as I expected, was very very good. The buzz about Fassbender is real, but also Carey Mulligan who I think should be getting more attention for her performance. I'll write more in RTM.

Reaction- Also a subdued crowd, but I think people were into it.

Edited by rockNrollaDIM
  • Like 1

The Adventures of Tintin

3D. Sunday, 7:45 PM. Only about 5% full.

Trailers (no reaction to any of them)

Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted

Mirror Mirror

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Star Wars - Episode I: The Phantom Menace 3D

Titanic 3D

ParaNorman

Even though I don't like motion-capture, The Adventures of Tintin was still a very good film. It has lots of Indiana Jones-esque action, it had a lot of adventure and excitement, and the humor never misfired. Fast-paced and a real thrill ride from start to finish. Definitely one of the more fun films of 2011. The 3D wasn't too bad either.

A-

Edited by Safari92
  • Like 1

Shame:8:05 pm showing75% full (quite a turnout for a film like this on a Sunday night/mix of young and old)Trailers:A SeperationCrazy HorseWe Need to Talk About KevinMovie: A-The directorial work on this film is nothing short of outstanding, even when the successive anguish that's depicted throughout the film nearly becomes too much. Shame is a masterclass in showing instead of telling. Brandon's addiction is never talked about in direct terms, the audience is simply shown his ups and downs (mostly downs) as he navigates New York City's lavish nightworld. The cinematography is impeccable, the score is quite phenomenal (surprised it hasn't turned up in discussions about Best Original Score), and Fassbender gives the best leading male performance of the year. Carey Mulligan plays against type and plays it well, in particular a beautiful scene that features her singing a rendition of "New York, New York." The ending wasn't as moving as it could've been, but overall the film signals Steve McQueen as a force to be reckoned with. I lost count of how many scenes were shot in one take. Rivals Cauron's work on Children of Men in that regard.A Dangerous Method:10:15 pm showing25% fullTrailers:Albert KnobbsIn the Land of Blood and HoneyWe Need to Talk About KevinMovie: B-Fassbender, Knightley, and Mortensen all deliver good performances. However, judging by the muted and somewhat dull directorial execution, it seems as if the turn-of-the-century European setting stifled Cronenberg in his attempt to adapt this story to the screen. Beyond the sexual and masochistic nature of what Jung and Freud were studying, there's not much excitement to be had. The performances, particularly those scenes between Fassbender and Mortensen, keep the film afloat when it becomes too talky or too dependent on voice-overs that narrate letters between the two psychologists. At no fault of his own, Fassbender's character arc is seemingly uneven, and the ending brings neither closure nor ambiguous profundity to any of the characters. Nevertheless, the conversations between Jung and Freud are fascinating and full of dry wit, and Knightley's performance as a sometimes crazy doctor-to-be is quite impressive.

Intouchables

50% in a 500 seater at 8:15pm (pretty good for mid-week), 70%female and average age well above 25

Trailers: The Descendants / The Artist - both little reaction

A

After 9 weeks in lead in France this opened last weekend in Germany and Austria (dubbed version, called "Ziemlich beste Freunde" ??); going by today's showing it will do some serious business here too. The story is about a coloured criminal working as nurse/servant for a paraplegic millionaire in Paris - think about a pepped-up version of "Driving Miss Daisy", and it also reminds me of last year's "La Tête en friche" - a film about two outsiders slowly getting to know each other and finally enriching each other's life. "Intouchables" is maybe too predictable but really fun (lots of laughs, some of them very shrill), charming and in parts touching, and everything in the right degree so it has a nice rhythm and flow. And it's not even a tear-jerker; I was expecting worse. Should do at least as much as last year's "The King's Speech" in german-speaking areas (combined about 30mio$); WOM should be excellent.

• Like 1

NEW

Contraband (2 screens, 10 showings)

Joyful Noise (2 screens, 10 showings)

The Iron Lady (1 screen, 6 showings)

Carnage (1 screen, 6 showings)

HOLDOVERS

The Devil Inside (2 screens, 12 showings)

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (1 screen, 4 showings)

War Horse (1 screen, 4 showings)

We Bought A Zoo (1 screen, 5 showings)

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (1 screen, 4 showings)

IMAX Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (1 screen, 5 showings)

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (1 screen, 4 showings)

Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows (1 screen, 4 showings)

HOLDOVERS

Beauty & The Beast 3D/Beauty & The Beast (5 showings/1 showing)

Alvin & The Chipmunks: Chipwrecked/Sherlock Holmes: A Game Of Shadows (5 showings/1 showing)

The Adventures Of Tintin 3D/The Adventures Of Tintin/Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (4 showings/1 showing/1 showing)

The Muppets/The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn: Part 1 (3 showings/2 showings)

Hugo 3D/New Year's Eve (4 showings/1 showing)

LEAVING

The Darkest Hour (2 weeks, 5 days)

Don 2 (3 weeks)

Young Adult (4 weeks)

Mission Impossible 4Regal Arnot Mall 10Tuesday 4:00pmCrowd: 1 person (just me)Trailers: (I was late and there was no reaction because NO ONE ELSE WAS THERE)Man on A LedgeMovie: I loved it everyone did a great job. Simon Pegg was my favorite from the movie. It was a good script and story. I would love to see another one.

• Like 1

The Artist2:00pm today100 seats about 50% fullTrailers:We Bought a Zoo - looks like the sappiest shit everExtremely Loud and Incredibly Close - oh wait, this looks like the sappiest shit everThe Vow - Or maybe this is the sappiest shit ever. Tough callThe Descendants - NRLike Crazy - NRCould kinda tell that the audience weren't really into it at first, but I heard REALLY positive stuff leaving the theater, oh a part from two guys who both agreed it was the worst film ever...ALSO during some of the really, really quiet bits I could hear War Horse playing in the screen next to ours. annoying.

ALSO during some of the really, really quiet bits I could hear War Horse playing in the screen next to ours. annoying.

I had that constantly through early 2010 as one screen had a strange sound system. It also happened to be the only 3D screen at that point. So Avatar leaked a lot. Then again, can't really complain as I was in there quite a lot watching it as well ;)

Upcoming films I've seen trailers for:TPM (2 or 3 times)Titanic 3D (2 times)John Carter (About 50 times....)TDKR: Twice.Brave: Few times.Pirates: About 400 times...Lorax: A bit.Ghost Rider 2: 2 or 3.Good Deeds: Once.Madagascar 3: Once.Man on a Ledge: Once.GI Joe 2: Twice.Amazing Spider-Man: Once.MIB3: Once.Secret World: Once.Jack the Giant Killer: Once.Battleship: Twice.Big Miracle: Once.Chimpanzee: Once.Wrath of the Titans: Once.American Pie 4: Once.Safe House: Once.Red Tails: Once.Haywire: Once.The Grey: Once.This Means War: Once.Mirror, Mirror: Once.Paranorman: Once.