TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

Yeah this whole "not until Moon Knight airs" followed by "not until Strange2 tickets go on sale" then "not until FB3 comes out" is just continually kicking the goal post down the field for no reason. It's like playing "cry wolf" to Marvel fans.

But the thing is that nowhere by nobody has it been said a teaser is coming soon. On the contrary, we've only heard that we shouldn't expect a teaser anytime soon.

So maybe, just maybe, Feige and MCU (and Disney) are trying to figure out whether they will have a movie ready for November. BP2 has had nothing but struggles and has a limited time for post-production. The Marvels will have had a whole year for post-production, so perhaps they are simply trying to figure out the whole slate of releases for the rest of 2022 and also 2023. It could just be a matter of them not knowing exactly what movies are going to fit where.

If Thor does come out in July, then there is some flexibility. If it does not, then everything changes. As far as I know, no movie has gotten into real production past Ant-Man Quantumania (which ALSO finished filming last November). Blade is still in pre-production and Fantastic Four isn't even there. Everything is in flux right now. Now, with each passing day, it looks more and more likely that Thor will take the November slot (despite what Chapek says).

Edited by jedijake
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Releasing a teaser/trailer just before DS tickets go on sale doesnt make sense. It will just distract from DS. They are likely to release a short clip or something for DS alongside tickets going on sale. And then perhaps releasing a trailer a week after that in time for FB3 release. 

People always say this but...is it ever actually accurate? People can do two activities in the same day.

It's like people being upset that Obi-Wan and Ms Marvel will be releasing episodes on the same day. Why wouldn't Disney want people to watch more than one thing a day?

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

People always say this but...is it ever actually accurate? People can do two activities in the same day.

It's like people being upset that Obi-Wan and Ms Marvel will be releasing episodes on the same day. Why wouldn't Disney want people to watch more than one thing a day?

I guess for the same reason people shouldn't text and drive or, in some cases, walk and chew gum lol.

Honestly though, I never understood this either.

I have a feeling they were really looking at things as a big picture and all the aspects. Thor can easily be done in time. But right now, November looks MIGHTY (see what I did there!) tasty for a Thor release because it would have it all to itself now that Flash is gone. Meanwhile, No Way Home is STILL over a milliion for weekends in its 15th week so they could be salivating over the idea of keeping all superhero movies out of Doctor Strange's way. July has NOTHING, so imagine if Strange could keep going and going and going (its ONLY competition this summer is JW:DOM). There's the all mighty (did it again) dollar. And Chapek loves the dollars.

So there's much more to this than just reshoots or not releasing a teaser due to ticket sales, D+ shows, etc. I am sure Feige is meeting with the producers and directors of the other films and a shake up will come VERY soon (next week I presume).

Edited by jedijake
  • Like 1

I never understood why studios released trailers a year away from release many years ago, and that has held true post-pandemic. People are more aware of blockbusters that are releasing, especially when it's the biggest franchise in Hollywood. You don't need to raise awareness six months out because everyone's already aware. 

20 minutes ago, Wormow said:

I never understood why studios released trailers a year away from release many years ago, and that has held true post-pandemic. People are more aware of blockbusters that are releasing, especially when it's the biggest franchise in Hollywood. You don't need to raise awareness six months out because everyone's already aware. 

A lot of people don’t know Thor has a sequel coming. Everyone isn’t on comic sites or message boards.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

A lot of people don’t know Thor has a sequel coming. Everyone isn’t on comic sites or message boards.

So what is so different about finding out 2-3 months before release with a trailer, as opposed to 5 to 6?

• Like 2

1. Thor: Love and Thunder (July 8, 2022)
- Filming wrapped on June 1, 2021
- had reshoot in mid March. (or still going on?)
- Taika said in early March “it comes out July so… probably like end of June. Like a day before the premiere. That’s how we do it.”

2. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (November 11, 2022)
-Filming wrapped on March 24, 2022

3. The Marvels (February 17, 2023)
-Filming wrapped on November 25, 2021
-Tied with D+ "Secret Invasion" which just wrapped and will premiere before The Marvels on late 2022 or early 2023.  

4. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (May 5, 2023)
-Filming will wrap in April ~ May, 2022

5.Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (July 28, 2023)
-Filming wrapped in November, 2021

-------------------------------------------------------

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Very true. Hardly anyone I know cares or even knows that a THor movie is coming. "They are making another one? When?".

10 bucks trailer releasea Monday. 

With studios understanding how irrelevant it is to release trailers soon, I think Disney got it and we will see the trailer 3 months before the movie, which I think it's the perfect window TODAY. And I think this might be the new norm for a franchise like MCU, which has already a big following and is extremely well established. And 3 months is a perfect gap. 

Now, movies like Avatar 2, the Disney live actions... sooner. They need more time imo. More time for promotion I guess. Specially Avatar. It's been 13 years. 

Ladies and gentlemen, the trailer will release Monday, April 4th.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ImNotRacistAtAll said:

With studios understanding how irrelevant it is to release trailers soon, I think Disney got it and we will see the trailer 3 months before the movie, which I think it's the perfect window TODAY. And I think this might be the new norm for a franchise like MCU, which has already a big following and is extremely well established. And 3 months is a perfect gap. 

Now, movies like Avatar 2, the Disney live actions... sooner. They need more time imo. More time for promotion I guess. Specially Avatar. It's been 13 years. 

Avatar 1 released its traiker just 3 months out and i think it worked it its advantage. Overhyping movies has a higher chance of leading to dsapppointing WOM

• Like 1

And it's just pointless. What? People take 4 months to watch a trailer? No. 

3 months is perfect gap to put 2 trailers, some spots get the early press WOM rolling. The more concentrated, the better it rolls for the movie imo. It's fresh. Feels recent. And we live in times where we are bombarded by media everyday. 

20 minutes ago, ImNotRacistAtAll said:

What👏 about👏 the second👏 trailer 👏

53 minutes ago, wintersoldier2021 said:

What👏 about👏 the second👏 trailer 👏

Release the first trailer 2.5-3 months prior to release (a week or so before MoM’s release so the trailer can play before the movie). Then release the second trailer when tickets go on sale. Considering when NWH and MoM’s tickets went on sale, that will be about a month before release for Thor. 

• Thanks 1

If they really wanted to be clever, they'd throw out some bread crumbs here and there. Little subtle hints that something is coming. But not only aren't they doing that. they are leaving no sense that anything is coming anytime soon.

It's not a matter of whether they need to have 4 or 5 month marketing for a movie. It's more about the fact that they always have.  Something is definitely very strange about all of this.

Personally, I think it has to do with them (well Feige) figuring out what the release schedule will actually be in the next year and a half and they haven't completely settled on whether to push Thor in July or the fall.

On 3/31/2022 at 10:56 AM, SpiderByte said:

It's because of the hype. People may watch both but one is probably going to get overshadowed by the other.

Taika couldn't even have played along and given us an April Fool's joke today with a fake trailer? At least give a laugh.

Feels like they're just giving up. The intention seems to be to build up anticipation through the wait, but unfortunately, nobody really cares enough to even notice except for a very small number of die-hard MCU fans.