TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

6 hours ago, Villain Legion said:

Oh yeah btw, I’m honestly not sure what you’re trying to wink wink at here 😂

1 hour ago, Menor Reborn said:

Solo I guess? 

“Market one movie at a time” and “our films don’t need marketing campaigns this far out” are word for word posts I remember hearing in the run up to Solo.

Now as I said, Marvel is in a faaaaaaaaar better place even if we just look at “audience expects more content” angle before we get to minor things like “popularity”.

But, sakes alive, are all of these posts/arguments familiar.

(that ultimately it won’t matter a damn is only slightly vexing to Yours Truly)

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Market one movie at a time” and “our films don’t need marketing campaigns this far out” are word for word posts I remember hearing in the run up to Solo.

Ah. Well, I think those posts about solo were probably... completely right, though?

Like what happens if you market Solo starting very far out -- you lose more money as it does similar nums on a higher marketing budget? Lose more money as the same marketing budget has less material near release and it makes slightly less? 

Edited by Villain Legion

23 minutes ago, Villain Legion said:

Ah. Well, I think those posts about solo were probably... completely right, though?

Like what happens if you market Solo starting very far out -- you lose more money as it does similar nums on a higher marketing budget? Lose more money as the same marketing budget has less material near release and it makes slightly less? 

I disagree, but not the thread to go deeply into it. :)

To keep this vaguely On Topic, as you probably know I disagree fairly strongly with Lucasfilm's current marketing strategy and so when I see at least one Marvel film start to copy it?  Well, I can only hold in my arch comments so long. 

Edited by Porthos

Two movies I recall with such short windows are Solo and Dark Tower. Neither did well and neither spawned a lot of confidence from their respective studios (even if Solo was a SW movie). Thor, of course, doesn't fall into that category. So, either they are breaking a trend or have other plans. Personally, I don't need a trailer. It just raises curiosity as to what the status is and how it affects the release dates of other movies.

Crazy thing is that if Thor movies, WB could just slap itself in the face for having moved Black Adam. Not sure how it is doing with post, but it could have had July all to itself.

July wouldn't be completely empty even if this does move. Both Nope and Bullet Train have major breakout potential. And then I guess there will be the test of how much audience interest is left in the Minions/Despicable Me franchise.

If there's nothing in time for CinemaCon next month then yeah, this is moving, but we'll probably have some form of confirmation before then either way.

Disney (ABC) sell it all the slots for commercials during Oscars, including for trailers, DS2 will have a commercial apparently

I can see they using this movie as well to bring audience, but i wouldn't be surprised if they wait Moon Knight to debut, to not overshadow it. 

Edited by ThomasNicole

42 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Disney (ABC) sell it all the slots for commercials during Oscars, including for trailers, DS2 will have a commercial apparently

I can see they using this movie as well to bring audience, but i wouldn't be surprised if they wait Moon Knight to debut, to not overshadow it. 

Possibly the most logical rationale for waiting.

Some say that by releasing a teaser, it would overshadow Strange2. I don't see it that way. Trailer maybe but not a teaser. If that were the case they would not have released a Shang Chi teaser until after Black Widow, an Eternals teaser until after Shang Chi, etc. etc. etc. Just so happens that there was the perfect amount of time between NWH and Strange2 to release a teaser for the latter. I've read some bonkers folks who don't think a Thor teaser will come out until after Strange2 is released. The world's gone made lol.

Edited by jedijake

5 hours ago, jedijake said:

I would assume that if a teaser were coming during the Oscars, there would be an announcement. Otherwise, there would be no way of using that teaser to attract move viewers if nobody knew it was coming.

Not necessarily. The first trailer for Ragnarok dropped out of the blue, and that was when "trailer for the trailer" was way more of a thing.

14 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I wish they announced a few months back that they intended to delay it. Studios could have arranged movies to give them a better schedule. But maybe it's not getting delayed...

I bet we would know if they delayed. 

The pressure on social media is gigantic, i'm sure if it's not coming they would announced to avoid the pressure to keep getting bigger like it is now.

Of course they still can delay it but i doubt they already did.

So it's confirmed to not be with the Oscars, but I still wouldn't be surprised given the timetable (and merch rollout) if it's soon, maybe even later this week.

More likely we get a Disney+ spot for those shows (fingers crossed it finally shows a shot of She-Hulk proper)

• Like 1

Would be interesting if they put the teaser on Disney+ first and then released it online the following week.

Not gonna happen, but it would be something different.

This really should be the week for the teaser, shouldn't it? (presumably Thursday or Friday after MK premiers.)

Moon Knight, Morbius, 3 month mark.....can't see why not. Whatever happens, this is brand new territory for MCU marketing.

Edited by jedijake
changed "needs to" to "should be".
  • ...wtf 1