TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

LOL, i'm a bit surprised this time around 

Well, now i think box office it's going to disappoint. MCU is dependent of good reviews at this point, so yeah, Feige needs to do something, 4 of 6 movies with "disappointing" reviews in just a year

• Like 2

Both DS2 and Thor 4 both low 70’s RT scores? Damn, I would never had saw that was possibly right after No Way Home came out. I am as biggest MCU fanboy as there is, but it might be time to change things up. None of the recent marvel content would reach my top 15(minus No Way Home).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

LOL, i'm a bit surprised this time around 

Well, now i think box office it's going to disappoint. MCU is dependent of good reviews at this point, so yeah, Feige needs to do something, 4 of 6 movies with "disappointing" reviews in just a year

Guardians 3 will be fine since it's last one. But I think The Marvels is doomed to disappoint next. Maybe not critically but at box office. I love the Ant-Man movies but neither have been breadwinners so 3 might not breakout hugely.... he really needs to pull off Blade next year. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Guardians 3 will be fine since it's last one. But I think The Marvels is doomed to disappoint next. Maybe not critically but at box office. I love the Ant-Man movies but neither have been breadwinners so 3 might not breakout hugely.... he really needs to pull off Blade next year. 

He better hope Black Panther delivers... I've never seen such a chaotic production in MCU recently and they never delayed the movie, it finished shooting like 6 months before release. If it's another disappointing it will be a big one since it's coming from a 700M grosser. 

But yeah i think Guardians 3 will be fine.

But for Thor, social media is already collapsing over the reviews, let's see if it will have a negative impact on box office (i think it will, happened with Eternals and DS2)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

yes because critics are known for being so harsh on the MCU

I find takes like that tweet so baffling. A decade of unprecedented cultural hegemony has clearly broken (some) fanboys' brains.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Hot take: No Way Home is a Sony Spider-Man movie that disconnects from the MCU and should not be considered in the same listless post-Endgame MCU category as the rest of these movies that have come out in past year.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

He better hope Black Panther delivers... I've never seen such a chaotic production in MCU recently and they never delayed the movie, it finished shooting like 6 months before release. If it's another disappointing it will be a big one since it's coming from a 700M grosser. 

But yeah i think Guardians 3 will be fine.

But for Thor, social media is already collapsing over the reviews, let's see if it will have a negative impact on box office (i think it will, happened with Eternals and DS2)

Yeah I think it wanted 80+ for reviews to be helpful, these are too low so far. As far as BP I am also worried, the situation seems very challenging. But will stay optimistic on it since being pessimistic is not fun for me.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, John Marston said:

thining it will be Chris Evans since he doesn’t have as much going on compared to RDJ or ScarJo who are constantly in demand 

Yes. And of course Variety and others already basically confirmed that he was in negotiations for...something.   

Edited by Macleod

7 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

Honestly if it really is similar to Ragnarok with even more comedy then I'm not surprised, because I thought Ragnarok already had far too much comedy to the point where I couldn't take the film seriously.

Agree.

Ragnarok is my least favorite MCU movie

• Like 1

This Charles Murphy guy is Marvel shill especially for male characters, he blocked me on twitter when I said that Captain Marvel was a good movie, it got A Cinemascore, Lmao can you believe that? Critics job is to review the movie, even if they don't like MCU they would watch it & review it what's the problem here?

• Like 2

I think to an extent critics are becoming a bit harder on the MCU due to more rapid output. 

However Marvel has released 6 movies in a year. They need to sort themselves out instead of releasing constant mediocre output. They are losing the spark that was making them special.

Between the movie and tv shows, they have introduced about 20+ new characters into the MCU and even with more content, we can’t really get to care about any of these characters because there is too many of them.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Hot take: No Way Home is a Sony Spider-Man movie that disconnects from the MCU and should not be considered in the same listless post-Endgame MCU category as the rest of these movies that have come out in past year.

Sorry but the film was made by Marvel Studios. 

I don’t know how you can say it disconnects from the MCU when it’s features Dr Strange and has multiple Avengers/MCU references.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, exomassey said:

I think to an extent critics are becoming a bit harder on the MCU due to more rapid output. 

However Marvel has released 6 movies in a year. They need to sort themselves out instead of releasing constant mediocre output. They are losing the spark that was making them special.

Between the movie and tv shows, they have introduced about 20+ new characters into the MCU and even with more content, we can’t really get to care about any of these characters because there is too many of them.

It has nothing to do with too many characters...it's that they're not COMPELLING enough.

But yes, saturation of the brand turns off certain viewers like me to the "must-see event experience" of their film entries.  

11 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Both DS2 and Thor 4 both low 70’s RT scores? Damn, I would never had saw that was possibly right after No Way Home came out. I am as biggest MCU fanboy as there is, but it might be time to change things up. None of the recent marvel content would reach my top 15(minus No Way Home).

Shang Chi is in my top 10, with Strange 2 just in the top 15, NWH I think is 16.

2 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Endgame and No Way Home has skewed your damn brains. Peoplesnstandarda for a "bomb" with the MCU are something nobody would apply to any other film 

So suggesting the possibility of diminishing returns is equivalent to calling them bombs despite no one here is thinking it’d bomb or underperform. I think you got it the other way around. People aren’t saying the MCU is doomed forever or every film is an underperformer lol.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, exomassey said:

Sorry but the film was made by Marvel Studios. 

I don’t know how you can say it disconnects from the MCU when it’s features Dr Strange and has multiple Avengers/MCU references.

Sorry, but the film was PAID FOR by SONY, so they had the final say in everything about its release, and likely some creative decisions...and of course paying for getting Maguire and Garfield back.  So you should thank SONY for that.  It's an MCU "hybrid" but had a whole cultural legacy of its own tied to SONY's Spider-Man film series that informed its main success -- I'd wager it wouldn't have really mattered whether Dr. Strange was in this -- the money comes from/goes to Maguire, Garfield, Holland.  

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 4