TMP

Thor: Love and Thunder | July 8, 2022 | Directed by Oscar Winner Taika Waititi | Ninth most profitable movie of 2022

The idea of directors that are these shiny beings that must do whatever they want is ridiculous. 

No director make movies alone, and for most people is nice to get someone to give opinions and even suggest changes, most of the times the directors are too deep into creative process to see clearly the flaws or excesses, having someone pointing that is very helpful. 

There's nothing wrong with this statement, nothing that other incredibles directors didn't said before, but of course people will create a whole narrative of "Marvel puppet" because of this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

The rumor is that he's trying to be less hands on

Our lord has forsaken us.

We must retvrn to strict house style 

Edited by Legion and Thunder
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Orestes said:

He's not wrong. Everyone needs someone(s) to tell them their bad ideas are bad, instead of telling em they're like poetry, they rhyme.

He;s not wrong, but he could have said it a lot more diplomatically.

But I agree that everybody...not just directors...needs somebody who can tell them when they are screwing up.

A food example of this is the Snyder cut of Justice League. It is better then the theatrical version, but still because he had total control, and probably currounded himself with yes men, a number of scenes were included that should have stayed on the cutting room floor.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Macleod said:

And?  What's your point?  He knows where his bread is buttered for Marvel projects -- he knows the Director will usually not get Final Cut.  It's a collaboration between the studio, producers, and filmmakers.  

I think that is the case with any major franchise.....the director will not have the final say the way he could with a smaller, more personal film.

I suspect the amount of final say a director has is usually tied with how much the film cost. The more it cost, the .less control he has.

I also thin the auteur theory as a whole is often a bunch of crap; but that is for another discussion.

49 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

I can just imagine Feige is like the sheriff who's trying to retire to a more peaceful life but every time he tries to get out something pulls him back in and he'll be stuck doing this forever. 

Fiege's net worth is 250 Million, so he never has to work another day inhis life when his current contract runs out. He can just plain retire to enjoy his money, or, if he is just burned out on the MCU,he can pretty much write his own ticket with any other studio is Hollywood when his contract is up.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Fiege's net worth is 250 Million, so he never has to work another day inhis life when his current contract runs out. He can just plain retire to enjoy his money, or, if he is just burned out on the MCU,he can pretty much write his own ticket with any other studio is Hollywood when his contract is up.

Of course financially he can retire whenever he wants, but he probably feels some level of attachment to this thing he created out of a box of scraps etc and he may feel like he can't leave until it's in safe hands without him.

I wonder if he was trying to be more hands off so he could slowly move over to his Star Wars project and see if they could handle things without him... clearly not really! Apparently attaching yourself to Star Wars in any way these days curses you. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Macleod said:

Stop this hyperbole.  Evidence for any unprofessionalism in his working environment??  All because some comic book sequel does $10 million less than fans predicted OW?  ...Hilarious...and sad.

Any attack on his personal life is just beyond stupid but professionally he does seem to take on more than he can handle, which finally caught up to him with this film. I certainly think him working on other things during Thor’s post/edit absolutely impacted the film’s quality. At some point he’ll have to decide whether he wants to go back to being a serious filmmaker or if he wants to continue doing a little bit of everything but a bit half-assed. 

• Like 1

IMO the story they picked just isn't good. Even if he didn't take a comedy appraoch it's still 

cancer turns a character into a superhero

silliness. People suspend the disbelief for more out there reasons such as spider bite but this one just doesn't gel with SH/fantasy for obvious reason. Too close too home, too serious in real life.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

i actually like bones of the story. both portman and bale's arcs had a lot of potential in a movie made by someone who gave a shit. 

kind of the opposite of doctor strange 2 which was a mediocre story made a good flick by raimi doing his thing. auteurism giveth and taketh away.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 6

I think MoM story has potential too but it’s also extremely rushed and a bit too obsessed with the cameo section rather than developing the actual lead characters. Both the films have script issues but MoM’s committee script feels more complete than whatever the hell Taika wrote or didn’t write cause clearly he just let the actors do a choose your own adventure on set. 

Is this gonna be the discourse cycle now? When a trailer drops people demand Marvel make the VFX companies unionize, reviews drop and everyone talks about Scorsese, and the movie opens and everyone talks about how anything under a billion is a letdown? Christ the wet blanket factory is working overtime.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like Taika and most of his movies. 
He kinda pokes the bear with that I want to something interesting and surprising stuff. 
I wish it was I would only do Thor again if we had a really good Thor story. 
They aren’t quite the same. 
Seems like it would be several years away. 

20 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

If or when Thor 5 would happen seems hard to predict without knowing what this new roadmap is like.. maybe we’ll know more at comic con but I don’t think they’ll be in any hurry to come back tbh. 

Sub 300 mil domestic is happening if they fast track Thor 5. They better put the character on ice or in a well received cross over film. 

• Like 1