Eric Prime

Hobbs & Shaw Weekend Thread: 60.8M OW (6th-best August debut), 180.8M WW | TLK 38.2, OUATIH 20, FFH 7.7, TS4 7.1, Farewell 2.4

19 minutes ago, a2k said:

15% bump from true Friday for H&S.

17.04 (-17.5%)

= 61.41

16.52 (-20%)

= 60.89

OUTAH

7.9 (+40%)

6.3 (-20%)

= 19.85

TLK

15.3 (+38%)

12.6 (-18%)

= 39

keep in mind as we get into August the Sunday drops get harsher. Last year the avg Sunday drop on this weekend was 26.7%. New openers Christopher Robin and The Spy who dumped me had 25.6 and 27.1 drops. EQ2 was in its third weekend and dropped 26.9. The previous weekend for 2018 the avg Sunday drop was 22.3%, so the drop for this current weekend last year was on avg 4.4% higher than the last weekend in July.

So I would expect a 20% drop on the low end (that would be 3.4% worse than OUaTiH drop last Sunday) to as much as 25%. A conservative number would be something like 23.72, 20.6, 15.45(-25%) = 59.77. 

kids are starting to head back to school in August so that impacts the ability to go to Sunday night movies. The 2 large school districts closest to me both started school on Thursday. Most of the other school systems in Atlanta start school this week.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

keep in mind as we get into August the Sunday drops get harsher. Last year the avg Sunday drop on this weekend was 26.7%. New openers Christopher Robin and The Spy who dumped me had 25.6 and 27.1 drops. EQ2 was in its third weekend and dropped 26.9. The previous weekend for 2018 the avg Sunday drop was 22.3%, so the drop for this current weekend last year was on avg 4.4% higher than the last weekend in July.

So I would expect a 20% drop on the low end (that would be 3.4% worse than OUaTiH drop last Sunday) to as much as 25%. A conservative number would be something like 23.72, 20.6, 15.45(-25%) = 59.77. 

kids are starting to head back to school in August so that impacts the ability to go to Sunday night movies. The 2 large school districts closest to me both started school on Thursday. Most of the other school systems in Atlanta start school this week.

This also will start to affect tracking, most especially for the kid/family movies, but also the teen/young adult drawing ones (since colleges also start getting into the back-to-school trend:)...Thursday nights and Fridays will now be all over the place for the next month, probably mostly based on if you're the city that went back or you're the one still out...after Labor Day, it will all be the same again til next May:)...

PS - We are out til Aug 26, so we'll be keeping family movies afloat for awhile:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

11 minutes ago, RamblinRed said:

true, i went optimistic with the sun drops for sure. hoping canada holiday on monday helps sunday a bit but sub-20% may not happen for tlk, outah, ffhs.

Yeah Sundays will definitely start "feeling" worse now that we have hit August. My curiosity comes more from the fact that the last several weeks they have been better than usual overall and if that keeps up it might make this and next sunday a little better, but not much. 

20% may be the best, but its better than a month from now when 30% will be norm. 

For the ones interested: after the first shooting in ElPaso with 20 dead occurred another one in Dayton Ohio with at least 10 dead plus injured, and the potential for reasons to have been far worse (kind of weapon vs extreme fast response time).

= the 250th mass shooting of the US.

I guess that is the utmost bad milestone for a free country.

(Discussions in Real life Subforum or where-ever, its just about to inform)

I saw Hobbs and Shaw last night, and pretty much the entire movie was thinking, how on earth did they manage to spin off a hugely successful franchise and make a movie that is arguably better than any of the films in the franchise itself. 

The first 2/3 of the movie is more Mission Impossible than F&F, which I enjoyed because it's more rooted in reality. 

The third act is where the ridiculousness of the F&F movies comes in, but that said it was still a lot of fun. 

The surprise cameos got huge reactions from my crowd, and also sets up a nice team for any sequel. 
Regardless of what this makes domestically, overseas will guarantee a sequel, and I think with goodwill from this one a sequel could do quite well.

• Like 5