The Panda

BOT's Top Comic Book Movies of All Time! - WE’RE IN THE ENDGAME NOW

7 minutes ago, 2010s Painkiller Race said:

at least all this manga didn't reach the top 30. 

Movie storyboards look like comics anyways.  I can't write well but writing comics must be like writing lyrics, bouncing from one to the other.  

Edit: There are still many great movies that can make it. 

Edited by tawasal

2DVzywz.png

Alita: Battle Angel (2019)

Directed by Robert Rodriguez

Based on "Battle Angel Alita" by Yukito Kushiro

(41 Points, 10 Votes)

Alita-Battle-Angel-2018-Movie-Wall-Stick

"I do not standby in the presence of evil!"

Number 1 Placements: 2

Top 6 Placements: 3

Awards Count: Nothing... Yet!

Box Office Total: 85.7m

Metacritic Score: 53

Synopsis: Alita is a creation from an age of despair. Found by the mysterious Dr. Ido while trolling for cyborg parts, Alita becomes a lethal, dangerous being. She cannot remember who she is, or where she came from. But to Dr. Ido, the truth is all too clear. She is the one being who can break the cycle of death and destruction left behind from Tiphares. But to accomplish her true purpose, she must fight and kill. And that is where Alita's true significance comes to bear. She is an angel from heaven. She is an angel of death. 

Critic Opinion: "Watching "Alita: Battle Angel," the eye-popping, groundbreaking, visually dazzling stunner from Robert Rodriguez and James Cameron, you can feel the ground beneath you shifting. Or maybe that's just the rumble chairs with which certain theaters showing "Alita" have been equipped. Either way, "Alita" delivers a feeling that what you're seeing is fresh and new, similar to when you first stumbled into "The Matrix." It looks like the future, and the future is bright.

"Alita's" grand visual presentation — the most immersive, complete use of 3D since "Avatar" — unfortunately accompanies a story that is as clunky as a bicycle with a busted wheel. Cameron co-wrote the script, and you can tell; "Alita" is saddled with a love story as bubble gum gooey as two teenagers passing notes in math class. Come for the visuals and hold on to your head." - Adam Graham, Detroit News

User Opinion: "Loved it from start to finish.  Th story of discovery is always fun.  This had elements of Running Man, Matrix, Terminator and a few other films.  I have given myself more than 24 hours to process it all and I'm comfortable saying it's one of my favourite films of the last 2 years." - @baumer

Commentary: Another manga adaption, and this one from the film that drew all sorts of heated discussions earlier this year.  Despite the banishment of half the Cameronites, this film still managed to find enough love to make its way on the list (maybe implying not only the Cameronites like moves Jim is attached to).  Alita: Battle Angel is a visual treat for the eyes, pushing the boundaries of what can be shown on screen, even if the story is a little hokey.

Box Office Count: Under 100m (7), 400m (2)

Decade Count: 80s (1), 90s (2), 00s (2), 10s (4)

Director Count: Miyazaki (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Oshii (1), Radomski (1), Rodriguez (1), Timm (1), Wachowski (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (2), Studio Ghibli (2), Batman (1), Iron Man (1)

hero_alita-image-2019-2.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

99toVBE.png

Shazam! (2019)

Directed by David Sandberg

Based on "Captain Marvel" by Bill Parker and C.C. Beck

(42 Points, 13 Votes)

71bT8Kyo5yL._SY606_.jpg

"SHAZAM!"

Top 10 Placements: 4

Awards Count: N/A

Box Office Count: 140.4m

Metacritic: 70

Synopsis: In Philadelphia, Billy Batson is an abandoned child who is proving a nuisance to Child Services and the authorities with his stubborn search for his lost mother. However, in his latest foster home, Billy makes a new friend, Freddy, and finds himself selected by the Wizard Shazam to be his new champion. Now endowed with the ability to instantly become an adult superhero by speaking the wizard's name, Billy gleefully explores his new powers with Freddy. However, Billy soon learns that he has a deadly enemy, Dr. Thaddeus Sivana, who was previously rejected by the wizard and has accepted the power of the Seven Deadly Sins instead. Now pursued by this mad scientist for his own power as well, Billy must face up to the responsibilities of his calling while learning the power of a special magic with his true family that Sivana can never understand.

Critic Opinion: "Feeling anything in a DC Universe installment is, in itself, evidence of filmmaking that’s superheroic (that overall bluish-gray glumness is completely gone). So imagine the shock to also encounter a nuanced, funny script, a richly developed surrogate family, a visual appreciation of Philadelphia and its heroic Rocky iconography, and not one but two expert jokes involving a strip club. Shazam! is so teen-centric, it sometimes plays like a spandexed Harry Potter. But the YA bent makes sense: The euphoria of newfound powers, unexamined and bursting out, is best expressed by characters (and films) that channel the irreverence of adolescence. Some heavy moments kick in near the end, as does a surfeit of slightly cheesy CGI, always a drag during climactic fight scenes. But for a long, glorious stretch, Shazam! plays like the anti-Nolan antidote it is." - Joshua Rothkopf, Time Out

User Opinion: "Hands

Lightning with my hands

Lightning with my hands

Enjoyed this massively. Has a real kicker about 2/3 the way through and just feels like so much more a complete character than other CBM movies. Best superhero film since Guardians of the Galaxy? If it's not then it's tying with Logan." - @Avatree

Commentary: Another 2019 film, potentially showing a little bit of recency bias on our forum users part.  Shazam! marks the first live action DC film and the first film from the DCU to make its way onto the list.  After a long stretch of the DCU attempting to go for a darker and grittier visual style and tone for their films, they finally made a film that breaks free from those self-important constraints.  In the process, Shazam! comes out as a breezy comic book comedy that got a little swept under the rug of the Endgame hype.

Box Office Count: Under 100m (7), 100m (1), 400m (2)

Decade Count: 80s (1), 90s (2), 00s (2), 10s (5)

Director Count: Miyazaki (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Oshii (1), Radomski (1), Rodriguez (1), Sandberg (1), Timm (1), Wachowski (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (2), Studio Ghibli (2), DCU (1), Batman (1), Iron Man (1)

245249_89cd28aea03e49809fa931f48ee5feef~

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

oeQvyUt.png

X-Men: First Class (2011)

Directed by Matthew Vaughn

Based on "X-Men" by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby

(42 Points, 16 Votes)

x_men__first_class_movie_poster_by_nicol

"I've been at the mercy of men just following orders. Never again."

Top 2 Placements: 1

Awards Count: 1 SAG Nomination

Box Office Total: 146.4m (163.8m Adjusted)

Metacritic: 65

Synopsis: Before Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr took the names Professor X and Magneto, they were two young men discovering their powers for the first time. Before they were archenemies, they were closest of friends, working together, with other Mutants (some familiar, some new), to stop the greatest threat the world has ever known. In the process, a rift between them opened, which began the eternal war between Magneto's Brotherhood and Professor X's X-MEN.

Critic Opinion: "In some glorious zone between Mad Men and Thunderbirds comes this X-Men prequel, as kinetic as it is character-driven, and full of ridiculous retro pleasures. Since Kick-Ass, the British director Matthew Vaughn has not lacked ambition, and this movie includes Nazi doctors, the Cuban missile crisis and mutant superheroes in silly costumes. Oddly, it works." - Kate Muir, Times

User Opinion: "Best X-Men film, best film based on a Marvel property in general. It's a blast." - @CoolioD1

Commentary: X-Men: First Class marks the first of the famous 20th Century Fox Marvel series to make our list.  After two relatively big misfires in The Last Stand and Origins, First Class had the rough work of rebooting a franchise that most viewers didn't really care much about anymore.  First Class managed to turn into a refreshing take on a series that seemed like it had run its course, and was able to get the saga back on its feet for another five movies before Dark Phoenix seemed like it finally pulled the plug (until the MCU adaption happens).

Box Office Count: Under 100m (7), 100m (2), 400m (2)

Decade Count: 80s (1), 90s (2), 00s (2), 10s (6)

Director Count: Miyazaki (2), Black (1), Boden (1), Oshii (1), Radomski (1), Rodriguez (1), Sandberg (1), Timm (1), Vaughn (1), Wachowski (1), Zwigoff (1)

Franchise Count: MCU (2), Studio Ghibli (2), DCU (1), Batman (1), Iron Man (1), X-Men (1)

CXfiqypWMAE3IBy.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

44 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

My mom got sent to the ER, so I had to go up north and help out, and missed the deadline...sad to see Shazam so low b/c I'd have had it top 25 easily...but I'll be following to see the results just for fun...

I hope she is well again?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, terrestrial said:

I hope she is well again?

Yes and no...she was diagnosed with acute kidney failure and stage 3 multiple myeloma...it's gonna be a long road, but the acuteness of the risk is lessened for now...dialysis helped a lot last week (and will be ongoing for months) and chemo starts today...I'll be a little more in and out and distracted this fall, so I'm gonna enjoy the escape and happiness this site provides, b/c when you also have to deal with siblings who all want to control the situation and the decision-making, and a mom not always making the best decisions (or the ones those siblings want), well, let's say, I'm happy to be home for the moment...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Sad 9