Eric Prime

Weekend Thread: Downton Abbey 31M, Ad Astra 19.2M Rambo 19M, It2 17.2M, Hustlers 17M

6 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Honestly 20m would be a better than expected start for a weird, contemplative sci-fi movie with a late marketing start and little buzz beyond Pitt fans and critical darlings. I think that's good for Ad Astra, idk. I never had very high expectations for the box office, even when people were launching clubs on here. I'm just glad it is a great movie making decent enough money.

First time I saw it on Thursday night, I was thinking that it would be such a great shame if this film tanked at the BO (which due to its nature I thought quite possible) It's a brilliant film, I have already seen it twice. It should be doing Gravity or Interstellar numbers. The GA is mentally retarded, there's nothing else to it. 

As for marketing, yes, I was very surprised at how little hype there has been around it. Interstellar & Gravity were aggressively marketed (both are inherently more commercial though) 

Let's hope that domestic BO, international BO and then awards buzz can carry this masterpiece to at least break even. Because what the world needs, is more films like Ad Astra and less ITs, less SHs and less cartoons with stupid talking animals. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Weren't people going on about how RT supposedly "fixed" the audience score with this new "verified"  rating ?  

RT is not relevant anymore in its heyday, audience ratings had 1 million votes, they killed it at some point, imdb is more reliable , but only months after release

Audience RT obviously isn’t perfect. There’s self-reporting bias and often rather small sample sizes. But still it’s still got some informational value, and is available before Cinemascores and continues updating after, which is why people bother talking about it at all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, narniadis said:

@a2k you need to reassess your IT2 post. If anything it proves not closes the F13 point. 

This Friday would be in sync with IT1s behavior outside weekend 2 and F13. 

If you compare +171% (4.7, Rth's number) with +166% (IT1's 1st Fri) it looks in line.

But if you compare it to +134% (IT1's 2nd Fri) it's again a big discrepancy.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

First time I saw it on Thursday night, I was thinking that it would be such a great shame if this film tanked at the BO (which due to its nature I thought quite possible) It's a brilliant film, I have already seen it twice. It should be doing Gravity or Interstellar numbers. The GA is mentally retarded, there's nothing else to it. 

As for marketing, yes, I was very surprised at how little hype there has been around it. Interstellar & Gravity were aggressively marketed (both are inherently more commercial though) 

Let's hope that domestic BO, international BO and then awards buzz can carry this masterpiece to at least break even. Because what the world needs, is more films like Ad Astra and less ITs, less SHs and less cartoons with stupid talking animals. 

Younger audiences aren’t going to respond to a movie like Ad Astra in the same way. That’s always been true of at least the last generation. 

The issue is that older audiences are just not showing up in the same numbers as they used to. Further compounded by internet chatter from said youngsters whom it’s not aimed at purporting this narrative it’s no good. 

Older audiences might show up consistently in the coming weeks for it to end up with a solid final gross. Yet we just have to expect most won’t - staying at home like they have been for a long time. Sad as it is. My dad is the same. I’m always complaining to him that he’s part of the problem. 

We’ll get the occasional breakout - like OUIH - which will have us proclaim the problem isn’t what it is. Truth be told, that movie did great because that younger audience were interested in it. If you don’t get them in, then you’re not getting close to $100 million. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PPZVGOS said:

I have already seen it twice. It should be doing Gravity or Interstellar numbers. The GA is mentally retarded, there's nothing else to it. 

or maybe just MAYBE, Ad Astra isn't anywhere as good as Gravity or Interstellar. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TLK said:

Okay, so who had both Downton Abbey and Hustlers making $100 million DOM as it is a very realistic possibility now?

DA isn't making 100M imo. I might get quoted and laughed at in a few months, but I don't think it gets a 3x multi. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

DA isn't making 100M imo. I might get quoted and laughed at in a few months, but I don't think it gets a 3x multi. 

It could be frontloaded but it is playing very well with the older demographics. That usually means good legs and it won't be facing any direct competition for a while. A $32 million + opening makes a $100 million total quite possible.

Edited by TLK
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

RT is not relevant anymore in its heyday, audience ratings had 1 million votes, they killed it at some point, imdb is more reliable , but only months after release

Lmao at imdb being more reliable. IMDb is the manifestation of biases and fanboyism. It's the least realiable source or you shouldn't even judge any movie according to it

Edited by Nero

3 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

IMDb is not reliable. 

in fact, all online user votes are pretty unreliable. 

the closest we’ve got is Cinemascore and it doesn’t work for sequels or franchises (because they poll the hardcore fans on opening night only).