sfran43

Weekend Thread: Estimates - Mal2 36, Jokah 29.2, Zombi2 26.7, Addams 16, Gemini 8.5 | Parasite 1.2 (37.6K), Lighthouse 420K (52K), Jojo 350K (70K avg)

Rough for Mal 2 - seems subscribers and Disney fans prebought tickets...and no one else showed up, since Charlie and keysersose123's projected numbers came down as the day went on...if the trend holds, we could even see it dip a little more:)...

But on a lighter note, I've been roped into running a movie club for tweens and teens at the library for my kids.  And wouldn't you know - libraries don't have any way to show DVDs or movies anymore - they want you to bring your own tech - so I also bought a portable projector today.

In better news, we have our 1st movie showing next Friday night - Beetlejuice.  And wouldn't you know - I have interest for it:)...

PS - I put out the world that we won't be doing MCU, DCEU, or Pixar movies - everything would be PG or PG13 movies from before these kids were mostly born from well-known directors/actors/writers:).  I figure around Halloween, you have to do Tim Burton...and including Michael Keaton, Geena Davis, Winona Ryder, and Alec Baldwin is a total home run for the kids:).  I haven't seen it for at least 2 decades, so this will be an experience for me, too (I hope it's as good as I remember:)...

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, Xftg123 said:

@cdsacken

Funny thing is I was watching most of TS4 today. I haven't finished it yet and while I do enjoy the movie, the storyline definitely seems a bit more simpler/safer compared to the 3rd film.

True but the film was entirely unnecessary and so random. Loved it but come on. Frozen 2 is gonna crush it.

People have been waiting 4.5 years since they confirmed the sequel.

Edited by cdsacken

14 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Rough for Mal 2 - seems subscribers and Disney fans prebought tickets...and no one else showed up, since Charlie and keysersose123's projected numbers came down as the day went on...if the trend holds, we could even see it dip a little more:)...

But on a lighter note, I've been roped into running a movie club for tweens and teens at the library for my kids.  And wouldn't you know - libraries don't have any way to show DVDs or movies anymore - they want you to bring your own tech - so I also bought a portable projector today.

In better news, we have our 1st movie showing next Friday night - Beetlejuice.  And wouldn't you know - I have interest for it:)...

PS - I put out the world that we won't be doing MCU, DCEU, or Pixar movies - everything would be PG or PG13 movies from before these kids were mostly born from well-known directors/actors/writers:).  I figure around Halloween, you have to do Tim Burton...and including Michael Keaton, Geena Davis, Winona Ryder, and Alec Baldwin is a total home run for the kids:).  I haven't seen it for at least 2 decades, so this will be an experience for me, too (I hope it's as good as I remember:)...

How fun what a great idea!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

How fun what a great idea!

It was actually my youngest's (the movie buff's) idea...and I thought, why not?  

I'm speaking with my youngest (who gets a lot of input on movies) on what we should do for Nov/Dec (since I only volunteered to do this monthly) - I'm kicking around Clue, Men In Black, Jurassic Park, Jaws, Sixth Sense, and Raiders of the Lost Ark...and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation if I decide to go seasonal (Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is my seasonal Thanksgiving choice, but I think I might hold that one for later:)...

• Like 2

@cdsacken

So, I decided to go ahead and finish TS4 today. Got to say, I overall enjoyed it. Was it my favorite Toy Story film? No. Was the story more simpler/safe? Yes. I'll admit though that towards the beginning and end of the movie I almost cried. Then again, that's Pixar for you.

After I finished watching it though, it made me realize that 

Spoiler

TS4 concludes Woody's journey while Toy Story 3 concluded Andy's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Addams said:

The #s above seem legit. The Jumanji drop from its predecessor would be identical to It 2's drop from It 1, which sounds about right.

Opening Weekend Range: $66 – 76 million

:kitschjob:

Right at the border line for tracking for Yours Truly. :kitschjob:

Edited by Porthos

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Will Frozen 2 be another It 2, Deadpool and drop from a wildly successful original? I think WW is on the same path, domestically. 

Anyway, that’s bad for Maleficent, missing industry tracking by $5m and Disney’s own tracking by $10m. 

Decent for Zombieland 2. 

Wonder Woman? It’s going to make more domestic 

14 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Given Maleficent's budget, you have to wonder if Disney regrets moving it up to October

Same with Sony and Zombieland 2. Joker went from being an underestimated film to become the biggest hit of October.

I did see someone review Maleficent 2 and they stated that the movie definitely feels more like something released in the Spring more than something released in the Fall Season.

17 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wonder if WB may consider moving The Witches to August or November since it has a similar slot next year

I forgot that movie is going to come out too. Also Wicked from Universal is set to come out in 2021, but there's been not a lot in terms of casting announcements or anything like that at all.

Just now, Xftg123 said:

Frozen II is FINALLY going to beat the last Thanksgiving OW record for a movie, which I'm glad for.

It’s not releasing on Thanksgiving, but rather the week before.

5 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Joker is the going to make the top 3 most impressive R-rated WW results of the millennia, right? I don't think I missed any, but just to double check.

If Joker actually ends up grossing 1B or past Deadpool 2, then that'd definitely be the best way for WB to finish off with a big release in 2019.

For Disney, Maleficent 2 will be nothing to them at the end of the year. I mean they’ve had 5 $1 billion(one was $2 billion) worldwide this year! They’ve had 90% of their films this year do over $90-$100 million opening weekend(Dumbo is their lowest grossing film and that did $111-$114 million in March). Now if Maleficent 2 does $35-$38 million this weekend and has ok holds, and knowing Disney they”ll fudge it to $100 million so really is it really all death and gloom for them? Anyway I think I may this Angie film this weekend, 220px-Original_sin_poster.jpg

• ...wtf 1