kayumanggi

DHD Saturday (03.24): 50.0 M | THE HUNGER GAMES

An opening just above 150m means Hunger Games sells more tickets than DH2 because of 3D (my estimates have HG at 19m admissions and Potter just below 18m). It's only behind TDK and SM3 in terms of total OW admissions by a few million.Domestically, we can settle one argument- what's more popular, Potter or Twilight. The answer is The Hunger Games.

DH2's OW was between 18.9 and 19.2m tickets. What 3D % are you using and at what prices?

DH2's OW was between 18.9 and 19.2m tickets. What 3D % are you using and at what prices?

Wondering the same thing. I seem to remember calculating around 19 million last year based on the 3D percentages reported in the media. The dollar gross was around $150-151m without 3D, so THG has a solid chance to beat that number.

Harry Potter's domestic grosses seem kind of disappointing in hindsight seeing that series that sold far fewer books are able to match its grosses (Hunger Games and Twilight)

Potter and Twilight had massive but very finite audiences domestically (I would argue they even do worldwide, too). Their admissions would fluctuate between films, sure, but at the end of the day Potter's audience never grew past the first movie and Twilight's audience never grew past the second. The exciting thing about Hunger Games is that we have no idea what size its audience really is yet. It's far more of a four-quadrant franchise than Twilight and maybe even Potter. Could Catching Fire actually increase upon this debut? Or is this the pinnacle of HG's hype/

7.93 average admission, 3.50 3D surcharge, 44% 3D share. I get around 17.85m tickets sold. I know average admission includes some 3D surcharge but it seems like HG will reasonably pass DH2's admissions if the Saturday estimate holds. Edited by Gopher

Harry Potter's domestic grosses seem kind of disappointing in hindsight seeing that series that sold far fewer books are able to match its grosses (Hunger Games and Twilight)

Hunger Games is built on the foundation that Harry Potter (and yes, Twilight) built. Big, frontloaded openings, that bring out the majority of the fanbase immediatly.After viewing Hunger Games, having not read the book, I was very pleased, and am hoping upon hope there will be legs.These numbers are ever in Lionsgate's favor, and with merging with Summit, they truly are now the 7th major motion picture studio (which Dreamworks held for some time, and New Line never truly acheived).

Potter and Twilight had massive but very finite audiences domestically (I would argue they even do worldwide, too). Their admissions would fluctuate between films, sure, but at the end of the day Potter's audience never grew past the first movie and Twilight's audience never grew past the second.The exciting thing about Hunger Games is that we have no idea what size its audience really is yet. It's far more of a four-quadrant franchise than Twilight and maybe even Potter. Could Catching Fire actually increase upon this debut? Or is this the pinnacle of HG's hype/

The WOM seems to be there in a way it wasn't for at least the first couple Potter films and certainly not the Twilight films. We'll get a clearer picture as it goes in, but with an A cinemascore and not displaying a super frontloaded nature, the sky's the limit.

7.93 average admission, 3.50 3D surcharge, 44% 3D share. I get around 17.85m tickets sold. I know average admission includes some 3D surcharge but it seems like HG will reasonably pass DH2's admissions if the Saturday estimate holds.

http://consumerist.com/2011/05/analyst-box-office-shows-customers-are-tired-of-3d-high-ticket-prices.htmlI'm using those prices. 7.6 for 2D, 10.85 for 3D. Also, BOM quoted a 43% gross share, as well as providing a 72.8 million 3D gross figurehttp://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3211&p=.htm

at this point has the fan base already peaked until the final film...it would be unreal to see 175-200m opening for the next film

At this point, there is no established FILM fan base yet. We'll have to see how all three films to do determine that, and at least see what this finishes with. For example, Potter started with 55.6M admissions with SS, however no film touched that. LOTR started with 55.0M flat admissions, and increased each time.Predicting how large the fanbase is at this stage is unwise.

Hunger Games is built on the foundation that Harry Potter (and yes, Twilight) built. Big, frontloaded openings, that bring out the majority of the fanbase immediatly.

Yes this is so true. Most fans of this series come from the Potter/Twilight fandom. They've been aware of this series way before general audiences caught on. And as for which series is more popular, well Potter and Twilight sustained their popularity over 8 movies and 4 (soon to be 5) movies respectively. We need to see what THG is capable of in the next few years.

At this point, there is no established FILM fan base yet. We'll have to see how all three films to do determine that, and at least see what this finishes with. For example, Potter started with 55.6M admissions with SS, however no film touched that. LOTR started with 55.0M flat admissions, and increased each time.Predicting how large the fanbase is at this stage is unwise.

Exactly. The Saturday hold proves what I've been saying about this movie for weeks. No matter how big the tracking was, there was still room to grow. Unlike the last several Potters or Twilights, its fanbase isn't set in stone yet, and this brilliant Saturday hold is already proving that in spades.

I just don't understand the appeal of this movie. I mean it looks OK, but I don't see what's interesting or special about it. It seems that it's mostly a great promo campaign and hype that led it to such huge numbers. Anyways personally I wasn't excited while watching the trailers. I think it's also that people were hungry for a big movie and this one was the first of the year. One thing is for sure, 2012 is definitely becoming a big comeback for movie tickets sales. After the slump in box office, many thought that it would continue getting worse and that eventually everything would be replaced with watching movies at home, especially since it costs much less than movie tickets. But it's obvious that going out to see movies on the big screen will never disappear. It's just something that people always do, kind of like going to restaurants or going to clubs, it's an excuse to get out of the house.

$49 million would be an astounding number for Saturday. That would probably put it in line for something in the mid-150s for the weekend.Even though it's clearly not behaving like a typical non-sequel, the fact that the first Hunger Games is doing this well makes me wonder just how high Catching Fire might climb in its first three days.

This is ahead of TDK at the moment with a great sunday it could beat it. Amazing and it might more sell more ticket than DH2 on OW. I am excited to watch its legs. THG games is making more than 300m

TDKs Sunday hold was unheard of.Itll be hard to beat