Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Terminator 29, Joker 13.5, Mal2 13.1, Harriet 11.7, Addams 8.3

Paramount being sold off became far less likely when CBS decided to re-merge with Viacom and shut down CBS Films as a result.

More likely if their movies keep tanking there'll be a management change.

6 hours ago, Alli said:

Terminator: DF is a classic example of "nobody asked for this". Were people really clamoring for a yet another Terminator? Paramount, read the room!  Next up in unnecessary sequels: Top Gun 2

Don't forget xXx 4...

xXx 3 made a profit because of huge China gross, and that was due to Donnie Yen (Ip Man, Rogue One), now he has turned down a role in the sequel and paramoint is still going ahead with it. Lol.

I wrote a wall of a text about the reasons for the often times toxic debates about male/female "strong" protagonists, then i read over it, deleted it and came to the conclusion that it aint worth it.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NamakFiskKa said:

Thing is the pilot's director never bothered to read the comics...

It has a great understanding of the source material; certainly stronger than the movie, the prequel comics, the sequel comics or the beat 'em up tie-in video game

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I wrote a wall of a text about the reasons for the often times toxic debates about male/female "strong" protagonists, then i read over it, deleted it and came to the conclusion that it aint worth it.

lol   i don't understand why some are so bothered about female characters in action movies. Even for Top Gun 2 i saw people complaining about female pilots. I think the trailer shows a split second of a girl pilot.

Edited by Alli

14 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Get Woke, Go broke is 100% untrue. The very premise of the argument NEVER is backed up with any proof. It is a childish cry from insecure men and "pick me" women. If get woke, go broke was a real thing then Terminator and Terminator 2 would have flopped. Salvation was starring a screaming Christan Bale and Sam Worthington and flopped hard.

You bring up a good point with Terminator and T2 but there's a huge difference - those movies were woke before woke word was invented and used to a) gaslight criticism of otherwise mediocre and bad movies and b) as a PR tool for studios. All Cameron movies had a strong feminist message that never stood in the way of the story and characterization. So no wonder his heroines were loved by everyone unlike the new breed of heroines who are mostly very unappealing generic overpowered bunch played by unconvincing actresses who think that off screen virtue signaling makes up for shit characterization. Including that, if you dare criticize the movie for not being good and main character(s) unappealing, you are immediately labelled sexist, racist, etc depending on what woke issue the movie is pushing for.

Long story short, people are going to be hung up on wokeness as long as pre-release campaign virtue signals the fuck out of a movie that then turns out to be blah or an outright dud. There's no reason to act like a 500th action movie with a female lead(s) is groundbreaking and discovered fire since that's been business as usual for long, for example. However, beating that drum and acting all high and mighty for making such movie (that then turns out to be meh) is what puts people off. Like that DF director statement. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, NamakFiskKa said:

Thing is the pilot's director never bothered to read the comics...

Who cares? Anybody who watches the show knows that somebody involved read and understood the comic. I love the Watchmen movie but the show is closer to the comic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

You bring up a good point with Terminator and T2 but there's a huge difference - those movies were woke before woke word was invented and used to a) gaslight criticism of otherwise mediocre and bad movies and b) as a PR tool for studios. All Cameron movies had a strong feminist message that never stood in the way of the story and characterization. So no wonder his heroines were loved by everyone unlike the new breed of heroines who are mostly very unappealing generic overpowered bunch played by unconvincing actresses who think that off screen virtue signaling makes up for shit characterization. Including that, if you dare criticize the movie for not being good and main character(s) unappealing, you are immediately labelled sexist, racist, etc depending on what woke issue the movie is pushing for.

Long story short, people are going to be hung up on wokeness as long as pre-release campaign virtue signals the fuck out of a movie that then turns out to be blah or an outright dud. There's no reason to act like a 500th action movie with a female lead(s) is groundbreaking and discovered fire since that's been business as usual for long, for example. However, beating that drum and acting all high and mighty for making such movie (that then turns out to be meh) is what puts people off. Like that DF director statement. 

This wall of text is nothing but whining. 

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Terminator Dark Fate is a cautionnary tale for Avatar 2.

Dark Fate shows ealry signs of senility and Dementia from Jim Cameron.

Avatar 2 under Spiderman Far From Home Dom & WW ?

Sounded like a joke 8 days ago before I saw Dark Fate, now it is a tangible possibility.

I'm a little worried about the politics in the upcoming Avatar movies, if they can strike a balance that would ignite debate pro & con on both sides that would be ideal, if Cameron decides to hammer in one specific direction only there could be a problem. The world of 2019-2021 is quite different from 2009, everything has been social media weaponized and balanced/rational discourse has been tossed out the window in favour of grade school insults and a us vs them mentality, right or wrong be damned along with truth and hard facts. 

Terminator Dark Fate (creative team). Too many cooks in that kitchen......

Writing Credits

James Cameron...(story by) &

Charles H. Eglee...(story by) &

Josh Friedman...(story by) and

David S. Goyer...(story by) &

Justin Rhodes...(story by)

David S. Goyer...(screenplay by) &

Justin Rhodes...(screenplay by) and

Billy Ray...(screenplay by)

Writing Credits (in alphabetical order)  

James Cameron...(characters)

James Cameron...(screenplay)

Josh Friedman...(screenplay)

Shane Salerno

Writing Credits (in alphabetical order)  

James Cameron...(characters)

James Cameron...(written by)

Rick Jaffa...(written by)

Shane Salerno

Amanda Silver...(written by)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

This wall of text is nothing but whining. 

And DF flopped. So I'd say wall of whining has some merit. It looks like misogynists and feminists are united in stirring clear of this movie for it seems to be too woke for its own good. :rofl:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

And DF flopped. So I'd say wall of whining has some merit. It looks like misogynists and feminists are united in stirring clear of this movie for it seems to be too woke for its own good. :rofl:

again, i don't think "this looks too woke" was the problem here. 

in fact this thread, today, is the first i'm hearing that this new terminator was trying to be "woke". like... ok? are we just gonna do this for every movie with a female lead from now?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I didn't think the film would do well. Genisys being terrible killed any interest in the series. Funny how all of you guys whining about Captain Marvel didn't effect its box office one tiny bit. And your side addressed being wrong by claiming that Disney bought 100's of millions of dollars worth of tickets. 😂

Edited by Zakiyyah6

14 minutes ago, TMP said:

It has a great understanding of the source material; certainly stronger than the movie, the prequel comics, the sequel comics or the beat 'em up tie-in video game

But what about

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1