Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: Actuals - Terminator 29, Joker 13.5, Mal2 13.1, Harriet 11.7, Addams 8.3

IMDB ratings mean nothing because of over sensitive sexist and racist dude Bros. That being said I don't buy the angle that Dark Fate will have stellar word of mouth the way fans are peddling.

The November schedule always looked weak to me after WB moved Wonder Woman. Sure Frozen 2 will be do great but there is no big second film. Both Charlie's Angels and Terminator had trailers that weren't strong enough and neither film has a great hook. Hamilton's return would have helped 4 years ago but means little now.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 2

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

IMDB ratings mean nothing because of over sensitive sexist and racist dude Bros. That being said I don't buy the angle that Dark Fate will have stellar word of mouth the way fans are peddling.

The November schedule always looked weak to me after WB moved Wonder Woman. Sure Frozen 2 will be do great but there is no big second film. Both Charlie's Angels and Terminator had trailers that weren't strong enough and neither film has a great hook. Hamilton's return would have helped 4 years ago but means little now.

this is dumb excuse, females taking over a franchise like mad max did not result in review bombing . quality is king

23 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

that's a poor excuse , for low ratings , why did Alita not suffer the woke backlash? Both pre-release looked bad in my opinion

You haven't been paying attention, it was the exact opposite for Alita. Captain Marvel was the target, and Alita was mostly approved by those same people. They are are stupid, but what triggers them is slightly more nuanced than just female hero = bad.

the best tell is the metacritic score:

CM has about the same as TDF (3.5/10 !) While Alita is at 8.6/10 (it was even stronger at release.) Alita also had a ridiculously high RT score (pre-verified era). And TDF is at 86% positive on the verified RT, that 3.4/10 on Meta clearly shows the movie is getting targeted by some angry dudes

Bottom line is, user scores are user scores and they are far from reliable. Especially when a movie gets "targeted". 

Edited by Alexdube

12 minutes ago, WeneedtotalkaboutKevin said:

Joker drops like a rock LOL now that Dark Fate has come. A billion is out of reach.

I know you are a troll, but in case other people are fooled, this is a 32.8% drop from last week, which is better than last week when nothing of importance opened (and it's still on its way to a billion).

Edited by Tower
  • Like 11

5 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

this is dumb excuse, females taking over a franchise like mad max did not result in review bombing . quality is king

there is a number of things in TDF that makes it much worst for these people than anything that was in Fury Road. Can't go into it without spoilers, but it isn't the same

Terminator: DF is a classic example of "nobody asked for this". Were people really clamoring for a yet another Terminator? Paramount, read the room!  Next up in unnecessary sequels: Top Gun 2

Edited by Alli

1 minute ago, Alli said:

Terminator: DF is a classic example of "nobody asked for this", Were people really clamoring for a yet another Terminator? Paramount, read the room!  Next up in unnecessary sequels: Top Gun 2

Except some people were asking for a Top Gun sequel. 

Anyway, I think Dark Fate is actually okay. It's better than the last three garbage Terminator movies. It doesn't compare to the original 2, but it was serviceable entertainment.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alli said:

Terminator: DF is a classic example of "nobody asked for this". Were people really clamoring for a yet another Terminator? Paramount, read the room!  Next up in unnecessary sequels: Top Gun 2

TG2 isn't comparable at all to Dark Fate. People actually had some reaction to that trailer debuting, every aspect of Dark Fate was met with a collective shrug. Also, Cruise is a global movie star coming off a film that did almost $800m - no-one in Dark Fate is close to that

Edited by TMP

Joker

3.75 (+99%)

5.63 (+50%)

3.66 (-35%)

= 13.04 (-32.26%) // ~298.7

Hope it gets to 340 - needs 3.15x this weekend more (3.15 * 13). Tough but awards bump may help it.

SS (2.0 * 13) and BVS (2.42 * 13) are going down surely.

Won't say AQM is locked yet - 2.78 * 13 - but more likely than not imo.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Hmm, nah. It’s definitely being targeted by some. I had no idea but then realised loads of the replies to a THR tweet yesterday were “get woke, go broke” 

eye roll

10 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Hmm, nah. It’s definitely being targeted by some. I had no idea but then realised loads of the replies to a THR tweet yesterday were “get woke, go broke” 

eye roll

I blocked several people. The Terminator series was "woke" from the beginning but this new hysteria from man-children on the internet loves to ignore actual themes in older films. 

11 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I blocked several people. The Terminator series was "woke" from the beginning but this new hysteria from man-children on the internet loves to ignore actual themes in older films. 

Still not as dumb as people review bombing the Watchmen show for being... political. Despite being based on source material that's incredibly political

Dark Fate is on 73% Aud RT after 2.5k+ ratings - 86% with 1.1k+ verified ratings.

9.6 (+20%)

7.2 (-25%)

= 27.15 (11.55x the previews)

Edited by a2k