TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

I feel bad for Loveness. I don’t like the majority of his work, in fact it’s a large reason of many of why I have no interest in Quantumania. It’s very hard to write a movie. That said, I think going directly into tentpole writing isn’t a good idea for green writers. Start with like a comedy or low level sci-fi then go onto the biggies because you can at least learn from them. Marcus/McFreely may have wrote The Dark World but they did a handful of movies before hand. Hopefully with Cretton on board to write, he can help Loveness and Loveness learns from the experience and I’m glad he’s taking it in stride. What I hope he doesn’t do is completely ignore any criticism like the article implied because it’s not a good way to grow as a writer.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, YM! said:

I feel bad for Loveness. I don’t like the majority of his work, in fact it’s a large reason of many of why I have no interest in Quantumania. It’s very hard to write a movie. That said, I think going directly into tentpole writing isn’t a good idea for green writers. Start with like a comedy or low level sci-fi then go onto the biggies because you can at least learn from them. Marcus/McFreely may have wrote The Dark World but they did a handful of movies before hand. Hopefully with Cretton on board to write, he can help Loveness and Loveness learns from the experience and I’m glad he’s taking it in stride. What I hope he doesn’t do is completely ignore any criticism like the article implied because it’s not a good way to grow as a writer.

Not really sure he took it in stride, article makes it sound like he went to a fan screening and just went like "see, I was right all along, critics don't get me, film is funny".

Maybe it's just a poor quote but hopefully if anything the bad legs slam him back to reality.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Like 6

I didn't think this movie was as bad as people were saying but it was definitely very mediocre. I just felt bored while watching this movie, it started out great and then it kinda went downhill from there. The standouts were Kang and Janet, I am a huge MCU fan and this was the first time I checked my watch while watching the movie. 

For me what worked about the Ant Man franchise is how simple it was compared to these other MCU movies, this completely takes that away for something else that is half executed. First Ant Man is probably on my TOP10-15 MCU movies, second one is not as good and kind of the same but still entertaining, this one was my least favorite for sure. 

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

Not really sure he took it in stride, article makes it sound like he went to a fan screening and just went like "see, I was right all along, critics don't get me, film is funny".

Maybe it's just a poor quote but hopefully if anything the bad legs slam him back to reality.

He’s still in the marketing run of the film so he can’t really say much more. Ultimately I don’t think you can just pick on the writer. Studio signed off on the script and director could have made changes if they wanted to.

This is a Marvel product not a Jeff product ultimately. It’s an MCU factory. You can’t blame the new guy if they followed the procedures. 

The big error was the quantum realm and departing so much from Ant Man films. I get the idea he finds himself against an Avengers level threat but clearly that concept took over the entire film.

17 minutes ago, Sckathian said:

He’s still in the marketing run of the film so he can’t really say much more. Ultimately I don’t think you can just pick on the writer. Studio signed off on the script and director could have made changes if they wanted to.

This is a Marvel product not a Jeff product ultimately. It’s an MCU factory. You can’t blame the new guy if they followed the procedures. 

The big error was the quantum realm and departing so much from Ant Man films. I get the idea he finds himself against an Avengers level threat but clearly that concept took over the entire film.

No one is saying it is all on him, but if you're the writer and people have problems with the script, you definitely have to take a look at what didn't work. Looking for confirmation bias is bad practice, especially if he stays on board for KD (I have my doubts he'll get as much creative freedom there though if he even stays as writer).

But of course this is just an interview, could be a bad quote, maybe lack of context, blah blah. I'm just judging what I can read.

Edited by JustLurking

On 2/26/2023 at 4:05 PM, TheFlatLannister said:

At the end of the day, I just want to see how an MCU film will perform with strong reception. That will give us a better indication on "Superhero fatigue" or if its just "MCU fatigue" 

We’re gonna have to wait for Deadpool 3 cause after GOTG3, the next 3 MCU films are all potential duds.

“I’m really proud of what I wrote for Jonathan [Majors] and Michelle Pfeiffer [scientist Janet Pym],” Loveness added. “I thought that was good stuff, you know? And so I was just despondent, and I was really sad about it.”

Loveness got in better spirits after he decided to attend a public screening of “Quantumania” after the negative reviews came out. The screenwriter listened as audience members laughed at many of the jokes he added to the script.

“I’m like, ‘Goddamn! No, [the reviews] are wrong! I’m right! MODOK is great!’” he said of watching the film on opening weekend. “I’m pretty happy with it overall, and I think I learned how to take a punch this week. And now that I learned that it’s not too bad, I can just get on with making things.”

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/ant-man-quantumania-writer-negative-reviews-sad-surprised-1235538242/

Saw it on Monday and couldn't identify exactly what would make audiences reject it because it felt like an average MCU movie. It's not like Eternals, which we can understand the reception because it was more ambitious and tried something a bit different. Quantumania is a little more serious than the typical MCU movie, but it's not that extremely serious. That's why I'm starting to consider that the thought of a superhero fatigue may not be an exaggeration after all.

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Saw it on Monday and couldn't identify exactly what would make audiences reject it because it felt like an average MCU movie. It's not like Eternals, which we can understand the reception because it was more ambitious and tried something a bit different. Quantumania is a little more serious than the typical MCU movie, but it's not that extremely serious. That's why I'm starting to consider that the thought of a superhero fatigue may not be an exaggeration after all.

Agree. There's been so much content.

Plus, I think people are being selective with their money. Going to the movies is expensive, on top of dealing with the current inflation for everything else. If something looks and feels like it's nothing special, many non-fanboys like myself will just wait for it on streaming instead of going out to see it. 

Edited by DTP
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I think you're right, it's just that people (both the audience and critics) are becoming less forgiving.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DTP said:

Agree. There's been so much content.

Plus, I think people are being selective with their money. Going to the movies is expensive, on top of dealing with the current inflation for everything else. If something looks and feels like it's nothing special, many non-fanboys like myself will just wait for it on streaming instead of going out to see it. 

Absolutely. I'm a shameless simp for theatres but when I had a look at Shazam and noticed tickets were $2 more than Creed for the same screen it really hit me that this is getting out of control and that I value my money more than a hobby. Only two dollars but it's the principle, unless you're privileged enough to not even notice this stuff.

I still love the cinema and will never quit going but I am starting to become much more selective. Shazam is out. A lot of MCU films from now on are out (though my investment in the story and these characters will always make me somewhat more forgiving).

• Like 2

I think making 4th movie means paying lot more for the stars. If they dont do that its cheaper to make these movies. Obvious ROI is not there when you have an Ant-man 3rd movie. I think if we see Rudd again, it will be in Avengers movies. There I dont think he has the heft to command a huge pay check. But someone like Tom Holland or Cumberbatch will command a big pay check. There was a news that both Infinity Wars/Endgame cost Disney 1.2B to make and that is mostly due to humongous star cast. I am not sure they will do that for Kang wars.