TMP

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania | February 17, 2023 | Competing with Eternals on RT, Competing with BvS on box office legs

2 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

The MCU isn't "dying" or becoming less popular...Their recent movies just aren't good enough and fans/GA will opt for Disney+ instead of paying to see it in theaters 

If the MCU fixes their quality issue, then it will equate to stronger box office numbers 

If the recent projects were all getting excellent reviews and unperforming, then the MCU would have been in trouble. 

I think that's a bigger "if" than most people recognize.

"if" they're unable to regain their quality/quantity balance, and theatrical revenues continue to lag, at what point do you acknowledge the MCU is becoming less popular? Another year? Two years? Wait until Kang Dynasty to make that analysis?

Now FWIW, I do think that NWH's 1.9b and MoM's $955m grosses are unqualified successes. Even though it didn't hit $1b like many thought was a lock, that's still something like a 40% increase over the first Strange, and in any world that's a huge success.

I do think L&T and WF underperformed though, and by all apperances Quantumania will as well.

I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility for Guardians Vol 3 to fail to improve on Vol 2, even with the "finale factor". If that happens, if G3 can't outdo G2's $390m domestic/$863m WW, then the MCU really is in for a reckoning, The reasons I think GV3 may underperform are due to (much like Quantumania) the film taking a darker tone than the first two films, a less colorful visual palate, the lack of franchise freshness (the characters have been in 3 other films since GV2) and some other small things like making animal abuse apparently a center point of the film (if I'm a parent, do I want to bring my kids to a film where a racoon getting needled is prominent in the trailers?)

9 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I’d be getting into spoilers if I respond to this lol. Who knows maybe the rumor was fake that I read but most of the leaks last year have proven to be true.

I haven't seen any Blade related leaks or plot rumors, all I know is that there were like four different scriptwriters attached last year, the original director dropped out, Ali wanted more creative say, and Yann Demange was brought in as the new director. Which IMO is an excellent choice.

54 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Lack of a team up movie in this phase has hurt alot. We don't have a set roster for the Avengers and we have not seen how they interact with each other at all. 

I completely agree with this.  Phase 4 should have ended with some sort of team doing something together.  Low key stakes in a low key event would have been fine, but they should have been together.

Thus, my Young Avengers thoughts put here before.  They had so many young characters introduced everywhere, it could have been Wong getting them together to "fight the threat of X" b/c they were the only ones he had left he could find to fight for Earth (and after MoM, that would not have been a stretch)...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Firepower said:

But 450 is, even 500 is really bad for this movie, it would be less than first Ant-Man, it's an established character and it's supposed to introduce next big bad for Avengers, it should do much better than that.

Eternals sequel was never confirmed at this point.

Patton Oswalts said it's happening, Feiges said the Eternals have concrete plans to Appear in the future, it just seems more like the actual sequel will be further down the line than their current schedule. Either way I don't think under 500 is likely, unless it really underperforms it's tracking.

1 hour ago, Sckathian said:

Eternals is not getting a sequel. Also if the MCU becomes a series of 500M films then Disney will put it's money elsewhere.

Multiple credible sources, including a cast member, says it's happening. Maybe not for a while like how Strange 1 and 2 were 6 years apart but it does sound like it's happening.

32 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Multiple credible sources, including a cast member, says it's happening. Maybe not for a while like how Strange 1 and 2 were 6 years apart but it does sound like it's happening.

yes let’s release a sequel to a badly received   film that flopped more than half a decade later 

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

How is it doing in Denmark?

Pretty okay turnout on OD.
But that was expected when we have winther holidays

I think it will be one of the lowest grossing MCU movies in a very long time

• Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 12:31 PM, TheFlatLannister said:

I think critics are grading blockbusters harder than they used

2022:

Avatar 2 was better than Avatar 1 yet had worse reviews across the board

The Batman was one of the best CBM's ever and had an 85% on RT 

All MCU films had average/bad reviews

JWD was essentially the same thing as Fallen kingdom and had much worse reviews on RT and MC

lex-luthor-wrong.gif

• Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Just watched it. Just want to say first of I´m a big MCU fan and generally vibe with most of their output.

I liked this but barely.. It´s so obvious that they didn´t have a proper plan for this movie before it was too late. It´s just ok. Rudd, Pfeiffer, Newton are great. Kang is awesome and saves this movie from being much worse. The use of volume is so obvious and look horrendous at times. Other times it actually looks fantastic. So a pretty big mix. Overall there is just nothing interesting about this movie. It just is there. Sets up Kang and that´s it. The writing is not good. I know the writer came in at a later stage but he really needs to step up for Kang Dynasti because this is not it. Hope Feige oversee that to help him because I have zero confidence in him. Also Modok? No reason for him to be in this movie. Jokes are ok. Some landed but I remember the days when MCU movies would make the whole theater erupt in laughter. 

Score: 7/10 and I´m being very nice due to Majors killing it as Kang.

Box office will be modest for this one. 550M is my bet. Legs won´t be there. It screams wait for D+ release

Edited by thajdikt
  • Like 6