sfran43

Weekend Thread: FvF vroooms past 30M+; Say Goodnight Angels with 8M for CA; Waves washes up 37k+ PTA

10 minutes ago, MattW said:

~40m in new openers, 70m for holdovers, 110m total.

Next weekend 60m holdovers, 130-150 for Frozen and another 25-30 for the other two, $215-240m total.

Biggest pre-thanksgiving weekends:

2009: $258m

2011: $222m

2012: $250m

2013: $226m

I think everything in November is leading towards a Frozen 2 breakout. I am now thinking Incredibles 2 numbers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cdsacken said:

Fvf will have awesome legs and it will do good internationally. Mild profit. Charlie's angel had a reasonable budget yet still will lose money. I mean we're looking at what 25-28m domestic total?

I wasn’t comparing them. I’m just not overly impressed with FVF either considering its budget. I can’t see it clicking on as much internationally. It has a ways to go. 

I haven’t seen CA yet, but maybe the marketing is to blame, or the casting/director choice. 

I adore the 2000 and 2003 films and should’ve been more excited. 

I guess the writing was on the wall when even the Ariana/ Lana / Miley single flopped. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

That John Cena kids film really died on its arse after Monday. $2.3m to sub $500k in the space of 3 days and a 60% drop this weekend. 

Behavior during weekdays was normal for a family film in a holiday week. Weekend hold will also be better because deadline didnt take into account the family audience. 

Still not a great hold mind you, but its not unexpected considering that money was spread over the weekdays. 

51 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

I wasn’t comparing them. I’m just not overly impressed with FVF either considering its budget. I can’t see it clicking on as much internationally. It has a ways to go. 

I haven’t seen CA yet, but maybe the marketing is to blame, or the casting/director choice. 

I adore the 2000 and 2003 films and should’ve been more excited. 

I guess the writing was on the wall when even the Ariana/ Lana / Miley single flopped. 

Same here I agree with all of that. I am pumped for fvf though. Big car guy and huge Damon/bale fan. 

The Good Liar did poorly but the budget is only $10m which is very prudent spending for a film with Ian McKellen and Helen Mirren and I imagine when all ancillaries are counted, it'll probably end either breaking even or making a small profit. It's done okay business in the UK which was to be expected given it's a British film. 

• Like 2

The thing I never really understood about Charlie's Angels is, who the hell are the other two actresses besides K-Stew? When The original film came out, Drew and Cameron were pretty much at the height of their popularity.  Then you have Lucy Liu and toss in Bill Murray.  The star power was palpable.  The other two actresses are basically unknown.  You might know who they are because you are film nerds, but I don't.  In fact I had to look them up.  maybe star power doesn't matter as much as before but I think for a reboot like this, it does.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, baumer said:

The thing I never really understood about Charlie's Angels is, who the hell are the other two actresses besides K-Stew? When The original film came out, Drew and Cameron were pretty much at the height of their popularity.  Then you have Lucy Liu and toss in Bill Murray.  The star power was palpable.  The other two actresses are basically unknown.  You might know who they are because you are film nerds, but I don't.  In fact I had to look them up.  maybe star power doesn't matter as much as before but I think for a reboot like this, it does.

Naomi Scott was one of the leads of Aladdin and Elizabeth Banks isn't an unknown either.

16 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

It's odd that Charlie's Angels has flopped but Ocean's 8 which was a spin-off of the Ocean's Trilogy was fairly successful. 

They had Sandra FREAKING Bullock as the lead. Plus Cate Blanchett and Anne Hathaway in the supporting cast.

• Like 4

The first Charlie s Angels was  constructed around Cameron Diaz brand & personality/movie image which was

"funny sexy chick you would like to hang out with"

Men wanted to be with her and women wanted to be her.

Can you say the same thing about Ktew, Naomi & whatsherface ?

Edited by The Futurist