sfran43

Weekend Thread: FvF vroooms past 30M+; Say Goodnight Angels with 8M for CA; Waves washes up 37k+ PTA

@Shawn, is Downton really supposed to be 26k, -96%? Nobody else is showing a Friday number so I can't cross check, but given the theaters 260k -59% seems a lot more likely?   

Either way don’t think Focus is going to go for 100.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Ohh, you know what Charlie’s Angels reminds me of? Shaft. It’s actually spooky.

70s franchise, 2000 revival, 2019 third attempt with lukewarm marketing. Shaft was forecasted around 20M and came in at 9 for OW.

Great comparison! The latest Shaft did have stars from earlier versions, but still had the "Why is this being made? Who is this for?" problem plus an extra 20 years away from the IPs original impact. We really should have thought of this when predicting box office for Charlie's Angels now, but I guess Shaft v3.0 flopped so hard, people forgot it even happened, lol.

22 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think DiCaprio wins the Comedy/Musical Actor Golden Globe and that'll easily put him in the top 5 at the Oscars.

The Golden Globes really go for musicals, so I think Taron Egerton might win, though the HFPA really likes Leo, too. OTOH, Paramount will probably throw together some Rocketman event with the HPFA where Taron and Elton charm the room before putting on a mini-concert, the voters will swoon and put Egerton at the top of their ballots. 

5 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

The Golden Globes really go for musicals, so I think Taron Egerton might win, though the HFPA really likes Leo, too. OTOH, Paramount will probably throw together some Rocketman event with the HPFA where Taron and Elton charm the room before putting on a mini-concert, the voters will swoon and put Egerton at the top of their ballots. 

Oh yeah I can see them giving it to him since he's been a very visible presence this awards season so far, though I imagine he'd still be snubbed on the morning of Oscar nominations regardless.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

We really should have thought of this when predicting box office for Charlie's Angels now, but I guess Shaft v3.0 flopped so hard, people forgot it even happened, lol.

Yeeup, only occurred to me when I was thinking of other recent movies having miserable openings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Can't wait for the excuses for why Charlie Angel's bombed so bad, I'm sure to blame streaming will be the popular one

You can blame streaming. Audiences are stuck in their homes staring at #BabynotYoda the whole day lol

Edited by UserHN
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, UserHN said:

You can blame streaming. Audiences are stuck in their homes staring at #BabynotYoda the whole day lol

The episodes aren’t long enough to kill cinema :sadno:  

If only the Mandalorian had a respectable episode length like 60 mins, FvF 20M CA 5M :ph34r:

Pretty exceptional for Ford v Ferrari, I thought the movie was a little too prestige for the Dad audience and the subject a little too macho for the prestige audience but it looks like it hit a sweet spot.

Also a local arthouse near me got the Irishman and I saw it last night, 99% sold out in a 130 seater. Are they not even gonna release the grosses for those screenings? It has to be in 200 theaters by now, there is three just in Broward+Palm Beach showing it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Pretty exceptional for Ford v Ferrari, I thought the movie was a little too prestige for the Dad audience and the subject a little too macho for the prestige audience but it looks like it hit a sweet spot.

Also a local arthouse near me got the Irishman and I saw it last night, 99% sold out in a 130 seater. Are they not even gonna release the grosses for those screenings? It has to be in 200 theaters by now, there is three just in Broward+Palm Beach showing it.

Nope because Netflix.

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Best thing about FvF over-performing is that it sends a signal to Iger that these kinds of movies still make money, and Fox might still be allowed to produce them moving forward. With all the Fox dramas that got killed it felt like this was going to be one of the last we get from them

Disney just greenlit Ridley Scott's The Last Duel (aka "the medieval rape movie") starring Damon, Driver, Affleck, and Comer. They also greenlit another Affleck film. I think Disney is really intending to make Fox its adult division.

Great number for Ford v Ferrari, bad for Good Liar, and terrible for Charlies Angels.

On the plus side, it's good to see the audience supporting a good movie. It's also good to see the audience not just blindly buying tickets to familiar IP like Charlies Angels.

On the downside, Terminator, Dr Sleep, and CA all got fairly decent reviews, so what's going on? Excellent reviews and marketing are a must these days? Definitely a warning sign for the likes of Bad Boys or Ghostbusters.

The key for Ghostbusters I think will be to make it not look like a Ghostbusters movie. It needs to be marketed as a fun, charming family adventure movie that just happens to be related to the Ghostbusters franchise. Sorta similar for Top Gun, they need to NAIL the marketing and make it look like an awesome thrilling action movie. Good luck on Bad Boys For Life. As mentioned, marketing is key.

Stuff like Fantasy Island and Invisible Man should be okay, as even though the names may be familiar, they're not really franchise-y. They're just straight up horror twists on old ideas. (As long as those budgets didn't get out of hand.) Though if Invisible Man tries to do anything with any other classic monsters, they'd be playing with fire. Trailer was promising though.

The Candyman movie should be fine too. Us made all the money it did based solely on Jordan Peele's name and brand, and as long as the marketing is good enough, this should work too.

Bill & Ted is going to be a really interesting test. If they keep the expectations in check, it might be okay.

Disney did have that deal with the live-action DreamWorks studio between 2011-2016 where they released their adult-oriented films under their Touchstone banner. That said, it was a mostly unsuccessful partnership (with 4 Best Picture nominees - two of which were also $150M+ blockbusters - not making up for the other flops they produced).

2 hours ago, a2k said:

https://deadline.com/2019/11/charlies-angels-bombs-at-box-office-reasons-why-1202787938/

Sony claims the budget is $48M net, we’ve heard in the mid $50Ms. 

I heard that a $100M global P&A was first planned on Charlie’s Angels with the studio now reducing that overall cost greatly to around $50M and pulling back on expensive ads. 

The crazy thing this weekend is that at some point, Sony thought that they would actually have a big hit on their hands with CA. Luckily plans of $100M P&A were scaled back, but the fact that they were thinking that in the first place, combined with thinking that the movie needed that stupid-huge early presale window, plus their fantasies with the extra Girls Night Out showing all seem to indicate that they were dreaming big on this one.

Very worrying about who is making those decisions, though whoever said no to that extra $50M deserves a little something extra in their Christmas stocking this year.

Terminator: Dark Fate is out of Deadline's Top 10 chart

BOX OFFICE FOR NOV. 15-17

THUMB RANK FILM DIS. SCREENS (CHG) FRIDAY(VS. PREV FRI) 3-DAY TOTAL WK
  1 Ford V Ferrari Fox/Dis 3,528 $11M $30M $30M 1
  2 Midway LG 3,242 $2.5M (-61%) $8.8M (-51%) $35.1M 2
  3 Charlie’s Angels Sony 3,452 $3.1M $8.2M $8.2M 1
  4 Playing With Fire Par 3,185 (+60) $1.9M (-47%) $7.5M (-41%) $24.4M 2
  5 Last Christmas Uni 3,454 (+6) $2M (-51%) $6.6M (-42%) $22.4M 2
  6 Doctor Sleep WB 3,855 $1.685M (-67%) $5.7M (-59%) $24.6M 2
  7 Joker WB/VR/Bron 2,337 (-469) $1.475M
(-42%)
$5.2M (-44%) $322.1M 7